Review Summary: Punk music at its finest1 of 3 thought this review was well written
Enema of the State is the third studio album released by Blink-182. Its artwork famously shows Janine Lindemulder dressed in a nurse uniform. It is also the first Blink-182 album that features Travis Barker and is widely considered to be one of the best punk album of all time and it is the album that made Blink-182 household names in the punk genre.
1. Dumpweed - The album's starting track is Dumpweed, and is high paced, fun and highly enjoyable. It is essentially about guitar/vocalist Tom DeLonge's sexual frustrations about girls not doing what he wants them to do and he repeats that he needs a 'girl that i can train' which connotes that he wants to keep them on a leash. The song also has a great intro riff which is very similar to Dammit.
2. Don't Leave Me - This song is sung by bassist/guitarist Mark Hoppus and it is about a girl who wants to break up with Hoppus. The lyrics are simple and there is a good bass line throughout the song.
3. Aliens Exist - This is one of the best songs on the CD. It is catchy and DeLonge's voice displays a child like innocence which is very effective in this song.The song is about DeLonge's interest in UFOs and conspiracy theories. Criminally underrated.
4. Going Away to College - A simple love song written by Hoppus about going to college and missing your girlfriend. There are good harmonies and is quite gentle compared to the three previous tracks.
5. What's My Age Again - Easily the best song on the album. Its primarily about Hoppus acting like a child despite the fact that he's an adult. It is very catchy and highly addictive. There's a great guitar intro by DeLonge and although it is simple it is still brilliant.
6. Dysentery Gary -The most anger driven song on the album and probably the best punk song on the album with spiteful lyrics throughout the song.
7. Adam's Song - Behind What's My Age Again as best song on the album. It is delicately themed track about depression and suicide. There is also a magnificent use of a piano during the bridge of the song and is a great vocal performance from Hoppus. It is also clear to see that nearly all of the serious songs by Blink are sang by Hoppus instead of DeLonge.
8. All The Small Things - This is another great track on the album and it was written by DeLonge about his girlfriend, Jennifer Jenkins.There is a great climax to the end of the song and there is a decent guitar riff throughout the song.
9. The Party Song - This song is about how people try to act cool at parties. It is very high paced and the chorus is catchy and provides a great sing along. The chorus by Hoppus warns guys to avoid some girls who aren't not all what they seem.
10. Mutt - The most sex themed song on the album. Its about DeLonge's sex fantasies and sex in general. The song starts off well with some great drumming from Barker, whose drumming is exceptional throughout the whole album.
11. Wendy Clear - Starts with a good riff but it is clear that Hoppus's vocals are drowned out by the instruments during the majority of this song. The composition, however is probably the best musically on the album.
12. Anthem - Immature lyrics but there is great drumming by Barker. However there is a great ending to the album that concludes the album in spectacular fashion.
Overall, the album is a brilliant punk record and probably Blink-182's best album to date.
What's My Age Again?
All The Small Things