Silencer (SWE)
Death - Pierce Me

by ImTheOnlyThugInTheBuildin USER (142 Reviews)
December 31st, 2012 | 40 replies | 1,568 views

Release Date: 2001 | Tracklist

Review Summary: A frightening take on the suicidal black metal scene, with vocals that border on being unlistenable due to the chills they will send up your spine. Listen at your own risk.

At first listen, you would be right to consider turning off Silencer's Death Pierce Me within the space of four minutes. It is such a harrowing experience from cover to cover that unless you are well prepared, the suicidal black metal band could well induce the feelings in your head that they pour into their music. Death Pierce Me is neither an enjoyable experience nor an easy one to sit through, but stands out as a landmark Depressive Suicidal Black Metal release and one of the few that has achieved any form of attention within the extreme metal community. This is an album that is both highly recommended and not recommended at all-nobody should willingly enter the tortured landscapes depicted by this album, and yet it is an experience that carries so much weight and has such an impact that this is a near essential black metal release.

The sound of this album is a dark, murky and thoroughly depressing one. It will feel like such a long journey from the soft opening right through the various twists and turns of this release to its thrilling conclusion, purely for the fact that it is enough to reduce a grown man to tears. No matter what frame of mind you are in when you first listen to this, it should affect you if you are human, in similar ways that Agalloch's The Mantle should. This is a progressively oriented black metal album, that jumps from soft acoustic sections to the frenzy of tremolo picking and blast beats fast enough to cause epileptic fits. If you thought you were in for one hell of a ride, you were right.

The best and worst thing simultaneously about this release are the absolutely tortured vocals. The vocal work on this album is some of the most unique and difficult listening out there, with the vocalist sounding as though he is having razors jabbed into him and being struck with a red hot poker at the same time. He whines and screams his way through this album with so much emotion poured into his vocals and the lyrics that it is a wonder he didn't break down crying whilst recording it. He does not have a particularly wide range, primarily sticking to an overly tormented style of high pitched screaming, but he more than makes up for this in the actual sound of his voice. If you can listen to this without being affected mentally, then you are clearly more than a little unhinged already.

The instrumental work is absolutely top notch on this album, with the aforementioned "pure" black metal sections being handled masterfully with some superb blast beats and an evil sound created by the endless tremolo picking during these parts. However, it is the softer parts of the album that carry it forward better. The instrumental track Feeble Are You creates the most sinister and haunting atmosphere in existence, whilst the clean parts of the title track weave in keyboard work and organs to create a perfectly written song. Taklaman starts with a very cool sounding piece of drumming and fast bass work before the tremolo picking comes in and the vocalist starts shrieking and it could not work better as an introduction.

This is a masterpiece of Depressive Suicidal Black Metal that at times pushes the boundaries of what is actually listenable with its dark atmosphere and tortured vocal performance. The only real flaw with this album is that they perhaps took the depressive nature of their music too far, and created one of the most startling displays of emotion imaginable. The barren landscapes created by the instrumental work are perfectly complemented by the vocal performance with a decent enough production job to top it all off. This is a bloody amazing album that everyone should listen to at least once.

Blood on the Dance Floor It's Hard to Be a Diamond...Katalepsy Autopsychosis
Cryptopsy Whisper SupremacyHades Resisting Success
Metallica Death MagneticBlack Veil Brides We Stitch These Wounds
dragoth (5)
A journey into the deepest, darkest and most haunting areas of the human mind...

aScannerdarkly (2.5)
"Rip My Throat, Drink My Blood, Strangle Me, Drown Me, Give Me Vain And Give Me Pain, Knives Running...

hyperi0n STAFF (5)
Insanity never sounded so good....

Wizard

19231 Comments

I will make further notes on this review when I get to a computer and off this damn tablet.

Digging: Monarch - Sabbracadaver

Minus.
December 31st 2012

I havent heard this yet. Pos'd

sideburndude

This album seems interesting

Wizard

19231 Comments

You seem to pump out reviews at a tremendous rate but I find you miss key aspects to all the albums you review. With this in particular, you need to point out that Weakling and these guys were the most influential to the American bm scene and work on expanding around that. Sure it's nice to read about how an album sounds but the scope man, you need to focus on more than just what it sounds like.

Hyperion1001
December 31st 2012

i have the hand numbered LP of this its sweet

Digging: Huerco S - Colonial Patterns

December 31st 2012

Great album, haven't listened in a while since currently I'm not in a depressed mood. Good review
Mark, keep improving.

Showing you great music is the same as telling you to write a review for it but plz don't. I'm prob.
going to review that demo someday.

This rules so hard.

Digging: Equilibrium - Erdentempel

they WERENT that influential though

Really influential* to both modern dbm and a vast selection of atmospheric bm projects.

they barely even got known at all

Right, give me an explanation: Why Death Pierce Me has nineteen reviews on Metallum, a number close to the amount of reviews for both Metallica & Agalloch albums. + Check their RYM. R E A D:

-noone knows who the fuck they are

R E A D [2]

Don't be so defensive Wizard knows what he's talking about, writing a review doesn't consists of providing descriptions of the general `sound ┬┤of a record, or its style - For that matter. This album's success, hype, status, and legacy are intrinsically connected with its story and Nattramn's psychosis.

You don't review Thergothon without explaining their influence on funeral doom
You can't review Silencer without explaining their influence on dsbm.

2 cents.

December 31st 2012

As i said on my Shining review, Gia, id already HEARD this before you linked it me lol so u didnt show me great music hha id heard it before but yeah

Ik, I meant the youtube link ;]

Noctus ruins everything.

DarkNoctus

gimmickkkkkk :]

December 31st 2012

"because only half the songs are worth a damn and the other half isn't really that impressive

gimmickkkkkk :]"

Which half of the songs are worth a damn? I'm gonna guess and say I Shall Lead You Shall Follow, The Slow Kill In The Cold, and Sterile Nails and Thunderbowels?

Digging: Septicflesh - Titan

indeed it does

the first scream on The Slow Kill in the Cold always makes me laugh though lol

Tyrael

20740 Comments

hmm

Jacquibim
December 31st 2012

Hmmmm, this is Hawks-approved so I suppose I'll listen.

Digging: Krusseldorf - Fractal World

Damn right.

You are a complete homo for 2.5ing

lol Noctus is gay in real life soo................