Graveyard
Lights Out

by Voivod STAFF
December 31st, 2012 | 28 replies | 4,547 views

Review Summary: The lights are out, the road goes on.

Graveyard have really gone places during the last eighteen (or so) months. Their awesome second album Hinsigen Blues, got them on the road for nearly 160+ shows, they signed a record deal with one of the most important labels out there for rock/metal music (Nuclear Blast), and finally they were awarded with a Swedish Grammy award. Not bad at all for a vintage rock act which blossomed in a country where homologous acts of good quality are multiplying like rabbits. At some point, the cycle of Hinsigen Blues was concluded and the band regrouped to prepare its successor. When the title of the new album (Lights Out) was revealed and the band commented on its musical/lyrical content, saying that it’s related to the ever increasing inability of modern individuals in objectively perceiving “the real enemy” in their remote environment and within themselves, a lot of people wondered what they really meant. Now that the album is finally out, it all becomes crystal clear, as Lights Out can be easily characterized as “thinking man’s vintage rock”.

In Lights Out, Graveyard appear to be more diverse within their style, although their sound has remained the same. The band used the same producer, the same recording studio and recorded again on analogue tape, giving the new album the same warm sound its predecessor attained. However, the musical direction adopted this time feels somewhat altered with respect to Hisingen Blues. Whereas that album’s boogie/blues rock was energetic most of the time and rarely harbored in more esoteric moments, Lights Out presents itself as a near-perfect balance between the two moods. For songs such as “The Suits, The Law & The Uniforms”, “Seven Seven” or “Goliath” which rest within the band’s up-tempo boogie rock niche, there are tracks like “Slow Motion Countdown”, “Hard Times Lovin’” or “20/20 (Tunnel Vision”) where the lights are out (sic) and raucous vintage rock retreats in favor of the blues. In the remainder of the songs, both moods coexist in harmony, as it is difficult to tell which one prevails over the other.

The fluctuation in mood over the music is awesomely translated into the lyrical content, which grants a substantial merit to the record. In the album’s hard rocking material, lyrics are angry and bitter and they are sung as such. They pass across a harsh criticism over the mechanisms that keep mankind enslaved to their hideous interests. On the tracks where the tones calm down, lyrics are narrating conversations between friends or within oneself, related to harsh situations and relationships or friendships either enduring over the course of time or going down the drain.

With their third album, Graveyard are going political with their vintage rock on one hand, while on the other, they dive deep into the harsh emotional and professional situations that forged their intimate mentality. Despite their introspect endeavor in Lights Out, the album is easily accessible, it has the optimal amount of songs in it (and hence a great replay value) and it can be sung along after just 2-3 listening sessions, just like any good vintage or punk rock record.

Electric Citizen SateenVicious Rumors Live You to Death 2 - American Punishment

Hard Times Lovin’:

Goliath:

Fool In The End:

20/20 (Tunnel Vision):

Contructive criticism is most welcome.

Also I wish a happy new year to everyone.

Digging: Essence Beyond - Carnivalism

ShadowRemains

20237 Comments

haven't heard this, probably should as their previous two are both great

December 30th 2012

Dang all those links only work on a PC

Digging: IQ - The Road of Bones

December 30th 2012

To get a hold of the album in a nutshell, check "Goliath" and "Hard Times Lovin’".

NocteDominum
December 30th 2012

Not sure if i'd dig this.

Scoot
December 30th 2012

how much post punk is on this

Digging: Unjust - Glow

Not even one bit.

Don't get misled by the song titles, the band plays '70s rock.

SteelErectedb4you8er
December 30th 2012

Voivod, good review man. I like this album quite a bit. Hisengen Blues may be better in my opinion, but I love the slow blues tracks on this one.

December 30th 2012

This album is better than the current rating. Come on, folks.

@SteelErectedb4you8er

thanks man

@Underflow

Agreed

December 30th 2012

If you haven't heard Zodiac's A Bit of Devil, do it. It's retro rock too, might barely beat this out.

December 30th 2012

Thanks for the tip, I will investigate.

December 30th 2012

I got around to reading your review and I enjoyed the flow and the research you did to obtain the disseminated info. Pos'd

gonna have to check when I get to a pc

YankeeDudel

stop living in the past

Digging: DJ Spooky - Songs Of A Dead Dreamer

December 30th 2012

The past is better than the present.

YankeeDudel

says old people

MichaelSnoxall
December 31st 2012

this needed a review. Good stuff.

SgtPepper
December 31st 2012

Excellent review, Voivod. POS'd. I know this band but have yet to hear this particular album, will certainly look into it.

manosg
December 31st 2012

Even though I'm not a huge fan of retro rock, I had a good time listening to this album. Spot on review man, pos. Is there a list in sputnik with similar albums?

Digging: Donovan - Sunshine Superman

December 31st 2012

I'm afraid not and I'm not so much into making lists, but I think I should reconsider this conviction of mine at some point.