Dikembe
Broad Shoulders

good

by Robert Lowe CONTRIBUTOR (87 Reviews)
December 29th, 2012 | 18 replies | 2,672 views

Review Summary: An unremarkable emo record that's consistently good, but is never great

I originally stumbled upon this Dikembe's debut EP because it had a Freaks and Geeks sample on it, and I really dug it. But with the release of the band's debut album Broad Shoulders, I realized that I just really like Freaks and Geeks; and Dikembe are just an OK emo band.

Strip away a very nicely placed TV show clip and what you're left with is some fairly average emo. When I put this album on, I end up drifting off around the third track and it never re-captures my attention. And I'm not saying drifting off like in the good dreamy way, I'm saying I just completely forget I'm listening to anything. None of the tracks are bad, but absolutely none of them stick out, which inevitable loses my attention.

There's really not a lot to say about Broad Shoulders, it's ten by the numbers lo-fi emo tunes that don't stick out at all. There's some half decent guitar riffs and arpeggios, but it's not enough. The vocals are nothing new either, chances are if you listen to any emo at all, you've heard all this before and done better. Not to say that this is bad or anything, it's all right. It's simply by the numbers emo, and hey I kind of like by the numbers emo.

Kyary Pamyu Pamyu Pikapika FantajinBrave Bird T-Minus Grand Gesture
Old Gray/Tiny Moving Parts SplitBanner Pilot Souvenir
Carissa's Wierd Songs About LeavingAge Sixteen Open Up Finders, Please

I wrote this in like 3 minutes if you can't tell

Cygnatti
December 28th 2012

I remember that one month in the summer where all I would listen to was like modern emo.

Digging: The Avalanches - Since I Left You

Calc

12014 Comments

Dikembe Mutombo Mpolondo Mukamba Jean-Jacques Wamutombo

Digging: Kashiwa Daisuke - April. #02

December 28th 2012

"Haven't heard a bit of it since. I was never able to figure out what made "good" emo or "bad" emo, I just rated by how much I happen to like it."

I mean good as in I like it but it's not great, a 3/5 basically. I'm not trying to say objectively or anything like that

Cygnatti

yeah, I get ya.

it kinda bothered me that out of the like however many emo bands I listened to, I never gave any of them lower than a 2.5.

December 28th 2012

I just really like emo, so even an average emo band will probably be at least a 3/5 for me

December 29th 2012

Artwork works in the thumbnail but not on the actual page hmmm

Deviant.
December 29th 2012

It's showing up now. You have to wait until the site updates before the artwork will show up in the index, thanks to some dork attempting to add the artwork over and over and over again and tripping the submission out

Digging: FaltyDL - In The Wild

December 29th 2012

damn treb you got real lazy on this one

December 29th 2012

yeah be patient i changed my profile picture a week ago and it still only shows up differently in the thumbnail

December 29th 2012

"thanks to some dork attempting to add the artwork over and over and over again and tripping the submission out"

It wasn't me I swear

"damn treb you got real lazy on this one"

This album is so unremarkable I had very little to say about it

December 29th 2012

then why review it? not trying to be a dick or anything just curious. like what would compel you to review something that you don't feel one way or another about

December 29th 2012

Well I liked the EP and it needed a review and I really had nothing else to review and I need practice writing 3/5 reviews obviously

December 29th 2012

word those are the toughest to write. that's why i avoid them. a lot of recent emo releases have
been very average... this, dowsing, dads, new brave bird i all found to be pretty flat.

bach

11957 Comments

Decent release. Good review.

Digging: Walknut - Graveforests And Their Shadows

ShitsofRain
December 29th 2012

yeah, their ep was great. this was just okay, like u said.

Digging: Ben Sims - Fabric 73

Prag
January 6th 2013

Really dug it. After repeated listens I got really into it and found a nice groove. Last track is pretty special IMO.

Spluger
July 26th 2013

I've only heard one song off of this but this review pretty much sums up my opinion of it.

Digging: Ceremony (USA-CA) - Violence Violence