Bell Witch
Longing

by Michael Snoxall USER (47 Reviews)
December 25th, 2012 | 108 replies

Review Summary: “The way is not easy, I know, but I will take you by the hand and lead you through the cruel light into the velvet darkness.”

Blending drone doom and sludge, Seattle’s Bell Witch consists of two members: Dylan Desmond (bass, vocals) and Adrian Guerra (drums, vocals). The duo creates a musical trio of bass, percussion and vocals that evoke feelings of despair, passion, hope and hopelessness. Juxtaposed images of black and white, discordant, yet blending into an abyss of such balance and structure. Bringing gooseflesh, chills and music to get lost in--or even to--with the band’s debut album Longing. At times I truly wonder how only three instruments can create such opaque music. This is one of those times.

Bell Witch is perhaps best introduced by the suitably placed opening track ‘Bails (of Flesh),’ which runs as a juggernaut ticking just over twenty minutes. Encompassing almost everything that one needs to go in level-headed to the rest of Longing, ‘Bails (of Flesh)’ characterises the band perfectly as melancholic riffs roll in like the plague on the bodies of the dead. Slow, heavy, the reverb on the bass feeds back into the microphone and creates a steady rising atmosphere. Guerra’s minimalistic drum work complements Desmond’s bass lines to bundle into a deep, droning style before crashing into a strong, much more inharmonious section of bellowed growls and chugging bass riffs. Quieting down again and the raw base of this music is quite moving in its execution, incomprehensible chanting soaring back over the original riff as it all comes full circle. All of this drones on and gradually erodes away into nothing but the slight crashing of cymbals, then Bell Witch throws us head on into a jarring, cacophonous body of thick, riffs that almost feel like they’re dripping from the bass gradually and sedate.

Little other elements are introduced throughout the record. ‘Rows (of Endless Waves)’ brings with it a more varied harsh vocal style, executing screeching highs as well as the dark, guttural lows on the opening track, as well as being the album’s prime demonstration of clean vocals. Both vocalists taking their time to shine and bring forth very different and very welcome flavours in their vocal styles, making the track stand out as one of the album’s best. As well as the track featuring slightly more prominent and sludge oriented bass work with tastefully done licks outside of the regular drone repetition of melody alongside dissonance. Fourth track ‘Beneath the Mask’ exploiting the band’s minimalist tendencies: the feedback of the microphone buzzing dully with a downtempo and lucid recurring riff, which serves as the backdrop for a powerful use of sampling (“Who are you beneath your mask?”/”Is my costume such a disguise that don’t recognise me?”)

Longing’s lowest point is on the track ‘Longing (the River of Ash).’ This track strips down most of what the two opening tracks built up and feels a bit monotonous by the end, which doesn’t fit in with the effectiveness of the band’s repetitious droning capabilities expressed all throughout the rest of the album. It brings back the same chanting presented on ‘Bails (of Flesh),’ but doesn’t quite feel as precise or as well-thought out, just sorting of being there and the tracks drags, leaden with an uninteresting rumbling song structure.

Where Longing shines, it really shines, bringing forth some of the most emotionally powerful metal experienced all year. At its lowest, it’s still wholly enjoyable despite dragging slightly. It does tend to detract from the experience and immersion a little, but isn’t a massive detriment to the album’s overall quality. Dark nights and long midnight walks will find themselves hand in hand with Longing, the two clearing the thought process for a little forlorn wandering and a rewarding listening experience. Bell Witch have crafted an utterly beautiful and admirable debut, may we only hope they continue developing this sound.

Momentum HerbivoreImmolation Kingdom of Conspiracy
Beyond Creation The AuraIlluminati The Core
Satan Life SentenceAosoth IV: An Arrow in Heart

December 25th 2012

Album needed a review and I am more than happy to provide it. Just in time to spread the Christmas gloom.

December 25th 2012

no replies. screw you all, I'm going to bed.

GiaNXGX
December 25th 2012

I haven't listened to this yet but their demo was really promising, will have to. Great writing by the way Michael, have a pos.

Tyrael

20900 Comments

good work

pos

and dont complain about not getting replies it happens

December 25th 2012

Thanks guys. This really tops their demo, Gia, I highly recommend it. Anyways, actually am going to bed now. I just hate it how the more obscure reviews get ignored. I'm guilty of not clicking on every random review I see too, but I should remedy that. Anyways, spread the Bell Witch word, guys m/

GiaNXGX
December 25th 2012

Okay will dl later. Dont complain about not getting replies[2]; dude I just reviewed one of my favorite albums and only got 10 replies + 3 ghost negs, and I proof-read'd twice lol.

Voivod
December 25th 2012

This band is all about bass and drums only?

This is very interesting.

Digging: Seduced (AT) - The Proclamation

December 25th 2012

Good band/art. Couldnt find a link for this.

Digging: Mare Cognitum - Phobos Monolith

Brostep

DRUM N BASS

good review, have a pos

Nice review as well.

December 25th 2012

excellent review and I dug your analogies ass well

gotta hear this hard, an easy pos

Digging: Impetuous Ritual - Unholy Congregation of Hypocritical Ambivalence

TheSpirit
December 25th 2012

Everyone knows the Beatles are the best drum n bass band

InFiction
December 25th 2012

Awesome review, as always., I'll have to check these guys out. The way you describe them remind me of Eagle Twin a lot, though I could be completely wrong about that. Pos'd, in any case.

December 25th 2012

Couldnt find a link for this.

There should be a few d/l links to be found by searching Filestube. That's how I got it.

Anyways, thanks for reading, guys. I always appreciate it.

mindleviticus

Danka, Michael

Digging: Kayo Dot - Coffins On Io

GhettoHmbrglr
December 26th 2012

glad someone finally reviewed this. i've been quite enjoying it

December 26th 2012

Sweet dig, Potsy. Love me some Igorrr, haven't heard his new album yet.

Also, glad to introduce more people to the band. One of my favourite metal albums of the year.