Desolate Shrine
The Sanctum of Human Darkness

by Inveigh USER (10 Reviews)
December 21st, 2012 | 102 replies | 4,922 views

Review Summary: A disturbing, sinister gaze into the depths of atmospheric death

Finland’s Desolate Shrine crept onto the death metal radar about midway through 2011 with their bleak and crushing debut, Tenebrous Towers, and while the album received moderate acclaim in the underground/blogosphere, the timing of its release did the band no favors. During a year in which extreme metal saw numerous releases push the boundaries in spectacular fashion (Ulcerate’s The Destroyers of All, Flourishing’s The Sum of All Fossils and Tombs’ Path of Totality all come to mind), the band’s debut was somewhat overlooked.

Returning with a new offering less than two years later, Desolate Shrine have crafted a suffocatingly dense slab of death metal that puts them at the forefront of the burgeoning atmospheric death metal scene. Combining traditional death/doom elements with a black metal aesthetic and an ever-so-slight touch of atmospheric sludge, The Sanctum of Human Darkness is a sadistic trip to the pits of hell.

Swirling guitar riffs, rapid tempo changes and a two-pronged vocal attack (that only adds to the insanity) are filtered through a fuzzy haze of analog sludge, giving the album a feel that’s simultaneously vintage and cutting edge without sounding forced. In fact, that’s the truly amazing aspect of this record – despite all of the vicious death metalling, it just feels effortless (the nearly 55 minute run time flies by in a blur). Hopefully the end-of-year release date doesn’t cause this album to fly over too many heads, because this could very well be the best death metal album of 2012.

Mac Lethal North Korean BBQMurs & Terrace Martin Melrose
Atmosphere To All My Friends, Blood Makes The Blade HolySage Francis Li(f)e
Mac Lethal The Original 11:11 SessionsDoomtree Doomtree

December 21st 2012

first review in like a year and a half, and first non-hip hop review ever

seriously more people need to hear this

Deviant.

Woah woah woah

What's going on here?

Digging: FaltyDL - In The Wild

December 21st 2012

had a couple brews, decided to write again. might start doing it more often, who knows. probably depends on my alcohol intake

Omaha
December 21st 2012

Well shit, ounces better than 98% of reviews on the site. Very well played, sir.

Digging: Deniro Farrar - Rebirth

Hyperion1001
December 21st 2012

still gotta check this hard as fuck

sweet review

Digging: Huerco S - Colonial Patterns

DUDE DO IT

and thanks Omaha/Hype

Hyperion1001
December 21st 2012

ive heard one track when it was streaming but havent checked the whole thing yet

idk why i decided to check out the new maveth over this because maveth sucked

Vakarian12

youtubing now.

December 21st 2012

haven't heard new Maveth but I've listened to this album approximately 13 times this week

Lair of Wolf and 1000 Lions is just so fucking good

December 21st 2012

I'm hearing this name getting thrown around alot.

December 21st 2012

yea Spirit actually rec'd Tenebrous Towers to me last year I think, been obsessed ever since

band is just fucking awesome, Demon Heart is immense

December 21st 2012

Damn, that recommended section is making me wanna get this right now. Been jammin' Ulcerate non-stop the last week.

dude if you like Ulcerate, get this ASAP

Ignimbrite
December 21st 2012

dl'd this a few hours ago. I'll listen to it tomorrow, and I'm expecting great things.

mindleviticus

sounds sweet

at best

December 21st 2012

Flourishing is also amazing yeh

still luv u potsy

December 21st 2012

oh yeah man I know what you mean. I rag on albums I like all the time. I don't know why, but I just talk shit about an album when someone else mentions it even though I like/love it.

just awful.