Korn
Korn

by hankdee27 USER (19 Reviews)
December 19th, 2012 | 73 replies

Release Date: 1994 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Grim, brooding, nihilistic, and enjoyable to surprisingly great lengths.

The come-around age for nu-metal was squarely implanted into the 90’s decade, and took a great amount of control on its primary audience of young teenagers. At the time, Korn was perfect for teens living in that day and age. Their lyrics unquestionably angst-ridden, the guitars and bass were down-tuned into sounding behemoth and shock-wave, and nu-metal seemed to be something that was new, experimental to them.

Now, not only nu-metal, but the style of rap-metal that Korn offers is considered a joke. Nu-metal made now that is called experimental by its fans, is mostly likely something to raise more than two eyebrows over. It is now a juvenile fad that has long since perished into depths of stupidity that can’t really be seen by anybody else, but that teenage audience. Back in its hey-day though, Korn were seated upon a throne that was more than welcomed into the fold of its peers. This self-titled LP is Korn in their most crucial stage of musicality. The angsty lyrics that I mentioned before are simplistic yes, and at times even a bit tepid, but their view on this album is necessary to its atmosphere.

As you probably know by now, the vocalist in a nu-metal band is key and essential to their line-up. After all, Jonathan Davis is the center of attention on this. No, their guitarist, Munky is not exactly a shredder. He and the others are part of the elements needed of course, but Davis’ dramatic interpretations of the world at this time, were something that turned head, especially since most of the lyrical themes stated are child abuse, most of them either viewed through the eyes of the victim, or the abuser. I remember the first time I heard “Blind”. Sounds of cymbals being tapped lightly approached me, and it was nothing to be excited about at first. Then, an ugly, screechy guitar note is picked in menacing harmony, to join the party. All hell breaks loose when Davis breathes in heavily, and gives a ferocious grunt of, “Are you ready?!” I found myself banging my head instantly. I imagine people would have probably been snickering if they had seen my enthusiastic reaction.

“Ball Tongue” is a definitive highlight of the album, as Jonathan roars a bone-breaker chant of “Ball tongue”, followed by frantic, fast-paced raps of “Congratulations, you just ***ed up my make-up and ***”.
“Faget” follows the same routine, belting out animal-like lines and spitting raps vigorously with speed. “Shoots and Ladders” begins with bagpipes (also played by our vocalist Jonathan Davis) whining through creepily, with the distortion kicking in, creating an experiment that doesn’t feel forced, but is actually in all justice very satisfactory.

“Lies” is an interesting take on the Cookie Monster death metal growl that inverts screeched vocal harmony. “Daddy” is miserable and brooding. It starts out slow, beginning with softly sung lines (apparently a lullaby sung by Swami Kriyananda, called “When I Awake”) put in to begin a disheartening despair, with Jonathan continuing his usual vocal-style, that progress into him cursing everything generally, as he starts to sob. He sits there weeping, and a door is shut, leaving grim nihilistic silence to sit and bubble. This is Korn at its grim, most seriously taken songs. This album may or may not turn haters of the band into fans, but either way, Korn proves itself worthy of some credit.

The production is limited, all the bells and whistles of studio-polish that were provided later are not here, but it even aids the album, giving it a hostile, raw feeling to the music. The song structures are very, very (very) simplistic, but even that cannot stop you from enjoying to the music, and Korn itself. With a strong set of songs, exceptional vocal talent, and a knack for the rap-metal hybrid (at least for this period of time), Korn's debut is grim, brooding, nihilistic, and enjoyable to surprisingly great lengths.

THEESatisfaction awE naturalEKendrick Lamar good kid, m.A.A.d city
Marilyn Manson Antichrist SuperstarNirvana In Utero
A Perfect Circle Thirteenth StepConverge Petitioning the Empty Sky

KjSwantko
December 19th 2012

Shit is that the Lostprophets guy on the cover??

dammets

2035 Comments

m/

it kinda bugs me that this has a higher rating than adrenaline.

December 19th 2012

Constructive criticism is gladly appreciated.

Chortles
December 19th 2012

never listened to this band solely due to the backwards r

Digging: Jacaszek - Treny

December 19th 2012

Lol, yeah that can be kind of off-putting, but this album was actually pretty damn good. Not as good as it was back then for me, I would've probably rated it five back then. They got really stale after Follow the Leader, ugh terrible, especially "Y'll Want a Single?"

slipnslide

Y'ALL WANT A SINGLE

SAY

FUCK THAT

December 19th 2012

He must have been really hopped up on drugs to create such terrible music after those golden days, where he made some pretty good stuff. I hate those side projects he did, like mixing on the Spawn soundtrack album, or the dubstep he makes now, awful.

srm90
December 19th 2012

I still like to jam this and Life Is Peachy every once in a while.

December 19th 2012

actually hankdee, Jonathan Davis (and a lot of the other members) actually was completely fueled by crystal meth and speed during this and life is peachy. after he got off them during the Follow the Leader sessions, things started turning worse

^^^

December 19th 2012

well yeah, but FTL wasn't nearly as fucking weird as the first two albums, you could tell they were getting off the shit around then

December 19th 2012

well, except for head. now he's high on jesus.

ChopSuey

this is overrated

thumbcrusher
December 20th 2012

sucks less than other korn but i don't find it that good

December 20th 2012

First 3 Korn albums are good. Issues was ok I guess. After that, everything they did was atrocious.
Not to mention the dubstep experiment...

Also, A.D.I.D.A.S is probably my fav Korn song

"this is overrated"

How? If anything this gets more hate than it should

oops, double post

December 20th 2012

It could have been so much better. A huge disappointment, the dubstep was way to simplistic. Why wouldn't get more underground people anyway? People like Skrillex use the same beats over and over again.

As I said, I couldnt really get into anything they did after Issues