Converge
Petitioning the Empty Sky

by hankdee27 USER (19 Reviews)
December 16th, 2012 | 42 replies | 1,375 views

Release Date: 1996 | Tracklist

"The Saddest Day" is probably Converge's best work. It doesn't even have some of the variation that other songs, like the more recent "Coral Blue" on the album All We Love We Leave Behind. The whole way through, the song doesn't even seem like it reaches the seven-minute mark. It only feels like four minutes to me. Guttural, screechy barks push through in short bursts. No lyrics are even said, but the effect is mind-boggling, and the tempo change in the middle part of the song gives warning signs of boiling pressure. It doesn't collapse into complete atrocities of chaotic terror when it slows down a bit more in the next part, lightening up the mood somewhat with clean guitar-picking. The trick of it all is when it speeds back up (with a riff you could barely even realize was there at all) to the furious beating of the beginning that you feared long after.

Your headache doesn't soften up at all with the continuation of destructive yowling put into "Forsaken". "Albatros" has some off-key singing, that I feel was put there purposely to make you sink into a state of terror and hopelessness that can't be described. It makes you feel, as if you had just murdered somebody, and the guilt is now put into perspective. The salt really digs into the wound though with "Dead". Harmonious singing that puts you into a state of acceptance/self-loathing, continues with the hardcore punk screams. "Shingles" has a repetitive, but acceptable guitar back-and-forth picking line, that bludgeons listener for another beating that is just there for the hell of it being there.

Rather cruelly, "Buried But Breathing" does nothing to reassure the listener, that anything is OK at all. It is the only track with lyrics that are heard in full detail, and it does something a little cool that Black Flag might have done, with what sounds like several shouting along with the singer at once. Now that you've been along this journey, "Farewell to This City" relaxes you into the coma-like suffering that is seated along for the rest of the ride. The rest of the album is pure agony that isn't felt at all, because of the numbness you are enclosed in, but it is no doubt still worth listening to. (The live track, "For You" is especially notable, because of it's bass line at the beginning, and the guitar riffing that is heard along with it's pleasing continuation).

This is one journey anybody can take, as long as they have the balls for it. Played live I can't imagine the feeling of adrenaline given from all emotions woven together successfully. It isn't stupid and whiny, it is true human emotion. No matter how unaccessible this album seems to be for the casual listener, this can be loved with the right amount of courage. If you want to discover more of the genre of Hardcore Punk, or you are just curious for a definition of it, this could be it for sure. Give it a chance, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised from the amount of ignorance that shall leave you.

THEESatisfaction awE naturalEKendrick Lamar good kid, m.A.A.d city
Marilyn Manson Antichrist SuperstarNirvana In Utero
A Perfect Circle Thirteenth StepKorn Korn

December 15th 2012

Yeah remove that summary. If you hate them, then why the fuck did you put one?

December 15th 2012

Decided to do something a little different. Hope you like it. If not at all, tell me why, and I will gladly receive that criticism and use it for the future.

sixdegrees

lol flutter

Digging: Ted Nugent - Shutup&jam!

December 15th 2012

Oh yeah, you were right about the summaries. I'll remove it. I just instinctively put it there.

December 15th 2012

There, I deleted the summary. Happy?

@six hahaha yeah...

@hankdee i didnt neg the review cause of it or anything. was just making a point.

December 15th 2012

OK, thanks for the criticism. It was kind of harsh I guess, but I've come to accept that kind of behavior as normal here. I don't care if you neg the review either. You're allowed to have an opinion.

December 15th 2012

well i like the review so i pos'd, and yeah it was harsh. hahaha. but fun.

December 15th 2012

Thank you! Appreciate the support!

no prob bob.

MichaelSnoxall

album's a 5, yeah.

December 15th 2012

While is it that I came across your profile, and the most recent comment that you had was on this review I wrote? Must be a coincidence.

ConcubinaryCode

2062 Comments

Best album.

December 15th 2012

You mean for Converge? Of course yeah! It captures all their best elements. Jane Doe was great, and so was their most recent one, but this one is my personal favorite.

December 15th 2012

Where the fuck is the intro paragraph? You just go straight into talking about a track

December 15th 2012

There is no intro paragraph. Someone bitched about it, so I deleted it.

December 15th 2012

Besides, most people today are so ADD, that I decided to make some change to satisfy a couple of them. It looks like that didn't work as I planned, because some of them are still bitching.

wacknizzle
December 15th 2012

Sweeeettttt, good review. Yeah The Saddest Day seems so short because of how awesome it is.

JUN JUN JUN JUNJUNJUN JUN JUN JUNJUNJUN JUN JUN JUNJUN WEEEEEEEE DOOOOO WEEEEEEE DWEEEEEEE

Digging: Plebeian Grandstand - Lowgazers

Minus.

I love this album

Gwyn.
December 15th 2012

Internet pro tip: People will always bitch about everything

Digging: diSEMBOWELMENT - Transcendence into the Peripheral