Nevertheless
Live Like We're Alive

by toxin USER (20 Reviews)
December 13th, 2012 | 14 replies | 953 views

Release Date: 2006 | Tracklist

Review Summary: A mediocre set of unoriginal but pleasant songs.

Circa 2005, emotional pop-punk was an increasingly huge pop culture fad that received more and more backlash as Fall Out Boy, My Chemical Romance, and countless clones made their way into the mainstream via MySpace. Concurrently paralleling this phenomenon was the rise of similar-sounding Christian bands like Relient K and Anberlin that perhaps leaned closer to pop rock or power pop than pop punk. Nonetheless, this sweeping trend inspired duplicates that often leached off of the pioneering bands, swiping ideas without contributing anything new beyond perhaps a pleasant tune or two. All this did was saturate the market and earn disdain for the genre. Enter Nevertheless.

Beyond the Christian stations that played the lead single ‘The Real,’ Nevertheless’s 2005 release Live Like We’re Alive garnered almost no attention. However, the band serves as a primary example of a leech of that generation. Their music can best be described as a mix of early-era Anberlin, Jack’s Mannequin, and Relient K that shamelessly rips off of these bands’ sounds. Sometimes the result is satisfactory. Opener ‘The Real’ has a fun pop-punk intro with a distinctly Anberlin-sounding chorus full of singalong “whoa ohs.” There is some nifty guitarwork in the chorus as well that lends the chorus more depth. The title track likewise contains an energetic intro and, despite the puerile carpe diem type lyrics, a soaring chorus. Both tracks, if unoriginal, see Nevertheless put a lively take on the tired genre.

Unfortunately, the majority of the album does not follow suit. ‘It’s Me’ contains plenty of piano that bears a resemblance to Jack’s Mannequin, but without the characteristic energy and melody. Likewise, ‘Perfect Chemistry’ has the sort of slowly-sung verse and drawn-out chorus reminiscent of Jimmy Eat World, but without the emotional and lyrical depth. Unfortunately, the band’s Christian roots do not lend them any lyrical inspiration---unoriginal lines like “I may not be her perfect chemistry/ But I can love her like you” clutter the entire album, some tinged with spirituality and some not. ‘Let It Fall’ could pass for a Relient K b-side, with vocalist Josh Pearson’s delivery of lyrics about needing God for fulfillment muddied by shoddy production. Furthermore, pacing is also an issue. ‘Time’ is an impressive temporal manipulation---its 3:15 runtime manages to drag on excruciatingly long, never leading to a climax. Despite the album’s sub-40 minute runtime, the album still feels bloated with filler.

If there is a singular issue that plagues Live Like We’re Alive, it’s Nevertheless’s inability to put a unique or creative spin on their music. Nothing distinguishes the album from its influences besides its inferior quality, thus leaving Live Like We’re Alive feeling like a collection of stolen b-sides. That’s not to say the release is bad, because it’s perfectly inoffensive. But this still leaves a fundamental question: Why listen to this album and not one of its superior influences?

Midas Fall WildernessOneRepublic Native
Saves the Day DaybreakYellow Red Sparks Yellow Red Sparks
Ludovico Einaudi In a Time LapseJimmy Eat World Futures

12012 Comments

probably the most boring and inoffensive release I've listened to. Heard the lead single on Pandora and thought it could be a fun listen.
nope.
Anyways there is so little to say about this airy music that the review ended up uncharacteristically short

Vespiion
December 13th 2012

This is alright. Andcas, you should at least check out 'The Real'.

Digging: The Menzingers - On the Impossible Past

12012 Comments

Sorry Andcas, those are all the bands they ripped off of
and all the bands better than these guys

This isn't awful though, not like BLG anyways
it's just unoriginal. I was debating between a 2.5-3 but there were just enough cuts that pissed me off to balance 'The Real' which is pretty solid.

Vespiion
December 13th 2012

^I would probably have rated this a 2.5 if there wasn't any nostalgia involved. One of my first pop rock/pop-punk albums I picked up.

Eko
December 13th 2012

In Nevertheless's defense, "Topics", "Rest", and "Sleeping In" (to a lesser extent) are really fantastic songs. Here "The Real" is great, and the title track isn't bad. Never heard the rest of this one but I believe your rating. He does sound an awful lot like the Jack's Mannequin guy sometimes.

12012 Comments

Eko you sure know the Christian rock scene haha. I think you'd 3 this, Eko. And yeah the influences
reek everywhere, especially the JEW one of Perfect Chemistry. The vibe is so JEW and the melody I
think was stolen from one of the slower-paced songs on Futures, but yeah it was completely lacking
in the emotion (and lyrical prowess).

But yeah, I think you'd enjoy it. I by no means hated these guys and will probably be listening to
"The Real" again (and maybe those other songs). I found them to be boring at times but that's the
worst.

@Vespii, yeah, this album reeks of 2.5-3.0. This is actually like a 2.7 for me and I thought it was
a 3, but after reviewing it I realized there just wasn't enough I truly enjoyed to warrant a 3.0
(and songs like "Time" were truly boring)

Douglas
December 14th 2012

If anything like mmhmm it would be awesome.

Not Taylor 0/5

December 14th 2012

Great review, pos'd. Short and succint. I definitely love the style of the shorter reviews, it oddly seems to give me a better understanding of the music.

Digging: Mastodon - Once More 'Round the Sun

12012 Comments

Douglas it's been a while since I listened to mmhmm so I can't say anything beyond that it sounds sort of Relient K but much worse.

@thelastsignal,
That's an interesting perspective. I try to write more a lot about the albums to really justify my review. On this though, there was not a lot to talk about because the band isn't particularly deep (and because I couldn't tolerate more than a few listens). So when I mentioned a song, I made one self-explanatory commentary instead of 2-4 sentences, which is why this was short. I imagine that it's a bit crisper than some of the longer reviews (including mine); personally I was worried people might think it's a bit too short and lacking in details, so I'm glad to hear positive reception!

December 14th 2012

toxin, I definitely understand what you mean. Especially in terms of albums that you love, there is so much more to say in
reviews. I've tried to keep my reviews a bit shorter, just because they seem more accessible and can still adequately describe
the album. With that being said, I do enjoy longer reviews as well and you're a great writer!

December 15th 2012

12012 Comments

Yeah, definitely. And I appreciate the compliments! I checked out one of your reviews and you're a great writer as well!

December 15th 2012

No problem, man. And thanks, it's appreciated!

Eko
December 16th 2012

meh I don't really have a reason to listen to this so I probably won't. I haven't listened to In The Making for probably two years. I think I have it rated as a 3

January 4th 2013

12012 Comments

Yeah, there's definitely no reason for you to listen to this.

I finally listened to the three you mentioned. Topics is not really my style, and Sleeping In isn't bad but the chorus could be better. Rest is great though.