Kashiwa Daisuke
Re:

by Eli EMERITUS
December 13th, 2012 | 43 replies

Review Summary: A return to form, and the most comfortably genuine that Kashiwa Daisuke has sounded in years.

Kashiwa Daisuke sure has had a strange career, and perhaps that’s part of his charm. His releases are sporadic, with bouts of productivity met with dry spells. He bounces from glitch-y electronics to neo-classical to piano ballads without any sort of transition, making every new release a jarring surprise--sometimes pleasant, sometimes not. Making a name for himself with Program Music I the behemoth of an album that sought to seamlessly mix electronics and classical instrumentation in a very post-rock sort of manner. But since then, Daisuke has staunchly refused to return to such a sound, going on polar opposite ends of the spectrum. However, it’s with Re: that we see the artist inch his way somewhere towards a more stable middle ground.

Re:, for all intents and purposes, is a strange release. Part re-release, part remix album, and part new material, the album is a mish-mash of different styles in different eras of Daisuke’s career. It’s neat to see the multiple sides"piano music, spastic electronics, and neo-classical appear on one tidy little collection. Yet it really isn’t all that tidy, actually. Re: suffers from the same identity crisis as it’s uglier brother, 5 Dec. Said album was all over the place and bursting at the seams due to its own ill restrained creative ambitions. An often glitchy, trippy sort of mess, Daisuke’s newest lacks any sort of direction. Extended songs go onward and upward, never really feeling quite complete. There’s a lot of amazing music to be found, but it’s buried beneath to overbearing amount of filler.

Luckily, the “amazing” moments mentioned above are worth the price of checking things out. Fans have been clamoring for a follow up much in the vein of his landmark release, and Re: is as close as one could get. A few songs even manage to wriggle their way into becoming some of his best work to date. The near 11-minute “colophon.#02” is a beautiful track reminiscent of the stunning beginning moments of “Write Once, Run Melos.” The “april” series calls to mind 2011’s 88--a very personal, piano driven affair. And then on the opposite end of the spectrum lies the bouncy and exciting “Jazz pour une infante défunte,” an interesting take on the popular Revel piece. When ambitions are in check, Re: is a definite stunner.

Kashiwa Daisuke has made a name for himself in spite of everything he does to seemingly prevent that. Never one to stay grounded, Re: is a return to form, featuring a sound that Daisuke feels so intensely comfortable with. Just be prepared to wade through and unfortunate amount of filler to get there.

Fell Voices Regnum SaturniHammock Oblivion Hymns

December 12th 2012

Of course I was going to review this

Fun fact: I played the Revel piece for my 8th grade trombone solo.

Digging: Kayo Dot - Coffins On Io

Celsius
December 12th 2012

There's some beautiful songs on this Re:

Deviant.
December 12th 2012

Think you mean "comfortably" in the summary

It's a good release, but I've heard the best parts before

Digging: Objekt - Flatland

December 12th 2012

Dammit! Thanks for pointing it out, Dev.

And yeah, april 19 is the best song on here and that's some of his oldest material.

mindleviticus
December 12th 2012

Programmed Music I was really good. I'm really digging 5. Dec as well. May check this out in the near future.

Aids
December 12th 2012

agreed with the summary. This is a weak 4, but a 4 none the less. I know it's really, really different from 88, but I would say I like this more.

Digging: RATKING - So It Goes

SeaAnemone

20554 Comments

Really glad to see you reviewed this
Agree generally minus the quality of the "filler" ... even the subpar here I still find pretty captivating

Digging: Dirty Beaches - Stateless

December 12th 2012

I tend to be harsher on that sort of thing due to my personal taste I guess, but I can definitely see the appeal for others.

SeaAnemone

20554 Comments

I don't need it to be engaging 100% of the time, in fact I prefer the spaciness to much of it, I've been using it as study music all week and it's been wonderful... listening to it now actually.

Omaha
December 12th 2012

"Making a name for himself with Program Music I the behemoth of an album that sought to seamlessly mix electronics and classical instrumentation in a very post-rock sort of manner."

Am I losing it, or is this not a complete sentence? You may want to edit that a little.

But really cool review, Eli. I agree with you on this one, but I may enjoy it a little less. It's about as pleasant of a listen as you can get, but it hasn't stuck with me too well.

NightmareCinema16

2016 Comments

I've got a lot of listening to do. Another great review.

Eclecticist
December 12th 2012

Such a good post-88 album! Leaving the classical composer throw-back side of himself and getting back to his experimental side.

Keyblade
December 12th 2012

i was kinda underwhelmed by this after a couple of listens

Digging: Submotion Orchestra - Alium

Deviant.
December 12th 2012

Think a few people here are forgetting that this is just a comp

NightmareCinema16

2016 Comments

Didn't, actually. Thanks for the info.

Aids
December 12th 2012

yeah I just realized this was a comp. not gonna include it on my 2012 list I don't think.

Irving
December 12th 2012

Could tell it was an Eli review just from the summary haha.

cfbassist
December 13th 2012

something is lost and solar man are both nearly perfect tracks

something is lost will probably be my go to "night driving" song for years to come

Eclecticist
December 13th 2012

Yep, didn't notice it was a compilation. Good bit of info.

Acanthus
December 13th 2012

This sounds intriguing, and "Solar Man" is quite awesome.

Digging: The Knife - Deep Cuts