Green Day
iDOS!

by BenitoOfficial USER (5 Reviews)
December 6th, 2012 | 18 replies | 1,739 views

Review Summary: Loud and edgy, but not overly memorable.

I actually liked !UNO!. It wasn't groundbreaking, but there were glimpses of classic Green Day amongst harmless and at times catchy filler. !DOS! was billed by the band and the critics as more edgy, with less pop and more garage rock to make fans sit up and take notice.

So it was surprising to hear !DOS! begin with a whimper rather than a roar. 'See You Tonight' seems to be Billie Joe attempting a Dylan-esque comedy routine. It's not necessarily bad, but it doesn't bode well for an outstanding album. Past that, the initial impression is of a more raw sound. The guitars have been turned up and the backing vocals turned down, and it's all very reminiscent of Green Day's alter egos Foxboro Hot Tubs' 'Stop Drop and Roll'. The problem is that it still just isn't very exciting, nor does it have many of the musical trademarks that fans and neutrals associate so favourably with the trio.

Parts of the album are deliciously nostalgic in the way Armstrong assumingly intended. 'Stray Heart', '*** Time' and 'Stop When the Red Lights Flash' are all standouts for their toe-tapping groove. It's very 60s and leaves a positive impression in an album with few genuine highlights. Even here though, we're left with a feeling that Billie Joe is writing within a genre that really doesn't suit him. It sounds nothing like Dookie or even American Idiot. It sounds quite a bit like a mid-life crisis.

Beyond this, it's an album of middle-of-the-road rock and seedy disco-garage nonsense. 'Makeout Party' is written from the point of view of a sexed-up teenager, and 'Ashley' is angsty but not convincing. Most alarmingly, 'Nightlife' hints at hip-hop for no apparent reason, and the lyrics are simply laughable. 'Nightlife' is the low-point of Armstrong's songwriting for quite some time, and leaves us wondering where the magic that created 'Burnout' disappeared to.

Fortunately, the album ends on a reasonable note. 'Amy' is glaringly out of place in an album where the previous track is titled 'Wow! That's Loud', but is still a gorgeous ending worth repeated listens and goes some way towards reminding us of Armstrong's previously obvious songwriting talent.

Overall, !DOS! is a disappointing follow-up to !UNO! in that it doesn't really create any memorable moments comparable to their previous work. It's fun in parts, but not enough to call it an album worthy of Green Day's talent.

2.3

insomniac15
December 6th 2012

Nice review, but one per day because you're knocking others' off the front page.

Digging: Anberlin - Lowborn

TrantaLocked
December 6th 2012

See You Tonight+Fuck Time is an opening with a whimper? Many great albums start out with a prelude
track then with the big opener right after. And Fuck Time is well under rated. I love the song.

SCREAMorphine

Well written review, pos

December 6th 2012

Review was honest and true, so you can have a pos from me. However i wouldnt give this a 2.5, its closer to a 1.5 for me, maybe a 2 at best. Theres a couple of moments that are decent enough but on the whole the album is bland and one sided

RobbaqPL
December 6th 2012

"It sounds quite a bit like a mid-life crisis."
Well, duh! You could write a whole thesis on midlife crisis in music based on this trilogy.

December 6th 2012

the trilogy is pretty sucky

December 6th 2012

what the hell we have abit of a family feud going on here by the looks of ting.

LOL HOW MANY BLOODY FAMILY MEMBERS ON THIS SITE

December 6th 2012

lol. this is a funny thread

HAhAHA THIS THREAD IS HILARIOUS AND RIDICULOUS SIMUlTANEOUSLY

December 6th 2012

this is a fuckign war haha

VsIsBetter

not enough

Digging: Yo La Tengo - Electr-O-Pura

MiscUsername
December 11th 2012

This is the third review of yours I have read Benito, and I continue to be unimpressed.

I feel as though regardless of what I say it will be impossible to deflate your enormous ego, but perhaps you're so critical
of BJ's lyrics about being a sexed-up teenager because you wish you were one?

Get a life, pal.