Monolithe
Monolithe III

by ClemintineBree USER (12 Reviews)
December 3rd, 2012 | 21 replies | 2,698 views

Review Summary: Say hello to 2012’s strongest funeral doom metal album. This not only holds the number one spot but is well above the competition.

Monolithe’s solid discography just got better with their newest 2012 release Monolithe III. They’re known for their one track LP’s which right from first impression demand a great deal of dedication as you can't just listen to parts here and there and call it an effective listen. You have to literally dedicate the time to sit through this nearly 52 minute masterpiece. Monolithe isn’t necessarily doing anything new here from their previous releases other than creating a tighter compositional base and experimenting with transition passages in an alternate way. Some of their previous releases would allow riffs to draw out longer than what’s found here. Here we have almost a 20% increase in riffs within intervals creating a much more enjoyable album even previous LP’s are arguably just as good. With the increase of riffs I found this album to be much more accessible than their previous releases. They still know how to hold their emotions up high without compromisation from the increase of note techniques.

When listening through this 52 minute feat I immediately felt the connection right from the get go. Monolithe’s typical distorted atmosphere, synths, and drums kick in without hesitation. I noticed that the approach to the riffs where very careful and non-exasperating. At about the 7 minute mark we have a transition from the heavy moments to an almost airy feeling of slow moving harmonies. Once a note is struck they tend to drag out long enough before another rather than trying to fit as many notes as they can within a certain interval period; much like a singer would allow his sung notes to gain vibrato before going to another note. The vocals are deep and used very sparingly about 20% of time which is a breath of fresh air because everything here is about emotional feel and too much vocals could work in an opposite direction.

The attention to detail is quite notable when you feel moments begin to come to a conclusion like at about the 15 minute mark but then a whole new atmosphere jumps right in very smoothly. We have even uses of death styled riffing here too which is just what Monolithe needs to keep the listeners interested. It’s what keeps them fresh and growing. If you can’t take doom any further then add some new genre elements and that’s what Monolithe does very effectively. Adding soaring solo melodies akin to Evoken and Esoteric they create an atmosphere that is crushing yet visualizing. We can only hope that any future releases will show Monolithe developing their sound even further and capturing more attention from death metal fans and the like worldwide. This is highly recommended for any doom metal fan.

Echolyn Suffocating the BloomSoul Cycle Soul Cycle II
Necroven Worship of HumiliationTidal Force Nebula
The Caretaker Persistent Repetition of PhrasesAllan Holdsworth Secrets

December 3rd 2012

got this last week, indeed enjoyable

pos

Digging: Tukaaria - Raw to the Rapine

Crysis
December 3rd 2012

This was good but it didn't strike me as exceptional. Have yet to rate it but will likely be about a 3/3.5

Digging: Ulver - Bergtatt

December 12th 2012

this album is fucking amazing, aoty

Tyrael

20742 Comments

ok

December 12th 2012

this isn't funeral doom btw

December 12th 2012

either this, swans or downfall of gaia for my aoty .

Digging: Monarch - Sabbracadaver

December 14th 2012

the last two albums are much more funeral doom, really long and drawn out, this is far more up-tempo and melodic and feels about half the length despite being longer than both. it's much more unique and well written, far superior to the other two albums combined.

NocteDominum
December 14th 2012

Probably a troll or someone unfamiliar with the genre. I actually prefer the longer drawn out stuff this was a bit of a let down for the same reasons that Noctus just put. Still good just preferred the older stuff.

December 14th 2012

This isn't that similar to Esoteric Troggy.

December 14th 2012

nothing tops esoteric. best funeral doom band ever.

December 14th 2012

perhaps evoken - antithesis of light might resonate with you?

your loss/gain [:

Keyblade
December 14th 2012

Antithesis of Light bro, give the whole thing a chance

Digging: Ishq - Orchid

September 29th 2013

Forgot I rev'd this.

shit rules, AOTY 2012. can't wait for M3

iPod says new one rules

its out/leaked?

October 1st 2013

it's not as good as this

hasn't leaked, promos

NocteDominum
October 1st 2013

Noctus knows what's up : ] It's good to be privileged

October 30th 2013

can't believe I was the first to review this.