Swans
The Seer

1.5
very poor

by undertakerpt USER (23 Reviews)
December 3rd, 2012 | 124 replies | 5,490 views

Review Summary: A disappointing effort from a band.

Listen to a song, give it your attention, pick out its highs and lows. That is one way to look at music. Be a critic , after all, you are the most important thing in the world and you know what's best for music. Listen to what the artist has done correctly and where he has gone wrong. Another way to look at music is just to listen to it for what it is. Don't complicate it. You either just like what you hear, or you don't, but only you can convey your feelings yourself. People can tell you how to feel and perhaps influence you but in the end, it is you who makes the decision. If people don't like what you say then they can either take it offensively or rise above it.

I like all types of music because I try to see the good in everything I listen to. If vocals are terrible, I can drown them out if the song holds a good beat. Take Primus for example, the vocals and guitar playing is pretty mundane, but the drum work and bass playing keeps the songs interesting. My favourite kind of music is the kind that you just can't predict. Stuff that really catches you off guard.

This record unfortunately didn't deliver for me at all. The songs are long and don't seem to take any direction at all. Pretty much every song stays in the same key the whole way through, and although this may work with some songs other groups have done, Swans can't pull it off and it gets really tedious really fast. Think of the same guitar riff being played for 20 minutes, and a crap riff at that. Torture music basically. Some unorthodox instruments are used on the record so I will give a little bit of leverage for that.

The voice on the lead singer is extremely bland and sounds like a bad imitation of many crooners I've heard before. Either people have been too polite to this guy and lied to him about his voice being a work of art, or this guy just doesn't care, which is fair enough in love and war, but mate, lets be honest, your voice sounds like a drunken tramp coo-ing for shrapnel.

This record, is one of few albums (and I'm talking like 1 or 2 here) I've listened to and failed to find anything I've enjoyed. It is borderline cack. Needlessly long boring songs with no creativity or originality to them. Originally this paragraph was very rude and impolite towards people who like this album. I have now taken the liberty to edit it, and will now say the following: If you like this album then I would like to meet up with you for a nice cup of tea and a jam scone or two. We will have a civilised chat about our differences regarding this record. Just remember to bring your weapon of choice in case things get uncivilised. I've got my weapon. It's a cup of tea.

Limp Bizkit Chocolate Starfish and the Hot Dog...Stereophonics Performance And Cocktails
Robbie Williams Life Thru a LensThe Killers Battle Born
The Young Knives The Young Knives...Are Dead...And SomeDixie Dregs Freefall

December 3rd 2012

This review is dedicated to the man I laughed at when he slipped on the ice today and fell on his upper back.

americanohno
December 3rd 2012

the summary made me laugh /pos

it sorta reminds me of something perd hapley would say

MichaelSnoxall
December 3rd 2012

Take Primus for example, the vocals and guitar playing is pretty mundane

Stopped reading. Neg.

PistolPete
December 3rd 2012

'it sorta reminds me of something perd hapley would say"

i wish you could pos a comment, so true lol

Digging: Nothing More - Nothing More

VheissuCrisis
December 3rd 2012

Negative reviews can be great of albums that are loved, sadly this comes off as a rant. Didn't vote, because the review starts well.

bodiesinflight57
December 3rd 2012

Yawn. Pointless rant of a review. Yawn.

You could at least have dropped all the **** bollocks in the last section.

InfamousGrouse

sweet namedropping the PM pos

Digging: Jackson C. Frank - Jackson C. Frank

December 3rd 2012

I am under a lot of psychiatric help and anger management at the moment. This review was a test to see if I could hold my personality together. Unfortunatly I couldn't, but step by step i'm gonna try.

Lambda
December 3rd 2012

"A disappointing effort from a band."

from a band? Yes...? lol

Digging: Anathema - Judgement

DeadBeat
December 3rd 2012

"Think of the same guitar riff being played for 20 minutes, and a crap riff at that. Torture music basically."

Let me give you a pos for this, pretty much sums up what I think of this album, although there are some good moments too, but that's like 15% of the entire album.

EyeForAnEye

Not a good review.

Just please don't give me the tombstone piledriver.

Drsmith4

bum poo

December 3rd 2012

My other review was way more better, but it got removed by the removal team in their removal van

InfamousGrouse
December 3rd 2012

agreed. how is your stomach coping now, 2 days post-vindaloo?

December 3rd 2012

stomach hurts because I didnt get to see peoples reactions to my heartful story

ILJ
December 3rd 2012

"I've tried to be as polite as I can with this review but now I'm starting to get pissed off. If you like this *** then you are a pretentious artsy student ***, who is a huge cunt but just doesnt realise it because his mind is clogged with *** as his head is ploughed deep within the depths of his own ass. Goddamn David Cameron, make it legal to punch people again. *** freedom of speech, freedom of violence please."

I think maybe you care a bit too much

Digging: Mastodon - Once More 'Round the Sun

December 3rd 2012

I honestly can't remember typing that bit.

Crawl