Shakey Graves
Roll The Bones

by ZGP1992 USER (17 Reviews)
December 2nd, 2012 | 11 replies | 2,868 views

Review Summary: A strong if slightly spotty debut from a Texas oddball with a fine voice and a bleeding pen.

Shakey Graves (Alejandro Rose-Garcia) is a mysterious caucasian weirdo from Texas who writes depressing (yet occasionally funny) folk-blues reminiscant of a more conventional, traditional sounding Jandek mixed with a little Nick Drake and Elliot Smith. On his BandCamp, it also says that this album was released in June of 1987, but has seen the light of day in 2012. So dont worry, it's recent.

Anyway, what I find most interesting about this man's music is its dissonant, haunting quality that both sooths and unsettles with a slightly amauterish charm. The vocals are alternately smooth and gravelly, delivered with a sad and smokey tone that really drives the dreary, personal lyrics home with admirable consistancy. The music consists mainly of folksy instrumentation with acoustic, (sometimes) electric, and slide guitars; as well as banjos, acoustic bass, the occasional horns, and minimalist percussion. Sometimes the songs get a little dull (The Springsteen cover "Im on Fire" could use a little extra work, as well as the closer "To Cure What Ails"). But usually the music runs together at a smooth, fresh pace. The funny, sex-ed video sampling "The Seal Hunter" throws in a splash of tounge-in-cheek, which is refreshing amongst the depression of the bulk material. An impressive live recording of "City In A Bottle" displays a loudmouthed energy not as apparant on the studio tracks. It also shows that this guy can make for a sweet live performance. Other highlights, such as "Proper Fence" and "Built To Roam" have a seductive tone buried under the sadness of Alejandro's voice.

Seeing as how this album is free to download on BandCamp, why not check it out? But I suggest throwing a little money Shakey's way to keep him in 'clean socks and bread' because he is a powerful talent, thus deserving to have something to put his sandwich meat on and keep a stenchless shoe.

Blizzi Boi American Badass 2Blizzi Boi Paper Flowers
Drive-by Truckers A Blessing and a CurseGreen On Red Here Come the Snakes
GG Allin No RulesMiles Davis Blue Moods

December 2nd 2012

GrandpaStanley, have you taken your heart meds today? You seem a bit on edge.

menawati
December 2nd 2012

saw this on bandcamp and nearly listened will give it a try,
and is this page fucked or just for me loads of white space above the review ?

Digging: Synaesthesia (UK) - Synaesthesia

December 2nd 2012

it doesnt look fucked up to me, try reloading the page

MrElmo

1950 Comments

Page is fucked for me also, saw this on bandcamp and it was pretty good, in the same vein (a bit more depressing though) you should definitly try sweet williams: http://sweetwilliams.bandcamp.com/

Calc

12037 Comments

lol such a disgusting avatar

Digging: Kashiwa Daisuke - April. #02

Oh no you didn't

Yes I did and for the record, granddad seth is way cooler and gives me 20 dollar bills when i get good grades AND he has a pool table. all u ever do is drink whiskey from a garth brooks coffee cup and look at the neighbors with your binoculors while pulling your chode when your not watching tv land.

newjunkaesthetic93
December 2nd 2012

I kinda liked this album when I downloaded it a year or so ago but then never listened to it again.

Kiran
December 19th 2012

this is cool, 'built to roam' has been all i want to listen to lately

Digging: Spoon - They Want My Soul

KYLESTYLE
August 23rd 2013

I disagree, the "I'm On Fire" cover is great. Good album.

LifeAsAChipmunk
November 15th 2013

I remember this guy being really popular on bandcamp last year, not really anywhere else, but it seems like he's getting quite a few fans nowadays.

Omaha