An Arrow To The Knee
Getting Over Thunderdome

good

by aqualungcancer USER (2 Reviews)
December 1st, 2012 | 186 replies | 5,295 views

Review Summary: Half decent debut for local Sydney metalheads.

I've said it before and I'll say it again; Prog rules. There is no genre superior to Prog, and there will never be a Prog album superior to Aqualung. With that said, I'd like to set up a rating system. For my review of this album we'll have what we're going to call 'Lunguistics', which is essentially an Aqualung comparison list. Let's begin

For those of you who aren't hip, An Arrow To The Knee, aka Geoffrey Leonard Jr. is a band which formed in 2010 in Sydney, Australia, and model themselves somewhat, at least in stage names, after legendary grub Geoffrey Leonard. While lyrically you can't hear that here, or make out much of anything, I feel that it's still crucial to point that out. I'm afraid that anybody who is against ATTK's rather unique feelings about the subject of 80 year old child molesters. If you're not familiar with Geoffrey Leonard, please view this link to better inform yourself:

This man obviously had a large impact on the band, as one of the members' stage names is Geoffrey Leonard Jr. Why the band chose to name themselves 'An Arrow To The Knee' is a mystery to me, and it's probably better left as such, but getting onto the music, it may not be what you expect. The first track, 'The Dawning', is a rather straightforward Death Metal song about what I'm assuming is the dead rising. The vocals on here sound a little bit like a vacuum cleaner, albeit a vacuum cleaner with unmatched brutality, and the guitars and drums have a very grimy, and although it doesn't in any way detach the listener, it is still rather surprising to hear a standard DM song with such decidedly old school production come out not only this year but on what sounds like it would be an awful deathcore EP.

From there the second track goes way downhill. Not only to they break out the rapping, but also the autotune, and this is where it becomes evident that they made a mistake. Now, Don't get me wrong, I like autotune, but when people just throw it haphazardly over they're vocals, it has a tendency to just dicker the overall feel and sometimes even the mix itself, giving the vocals a hollow, tinny sound. Here it does just that, and this moves my mark away from a 4 to a solid 3.

In keeping with my Prog tendencies, I've rated this album based on it's similarities to the Legendary aqualung. Let me put it this way; it failed miserably.

2.3
Streams (3)
Poor production drags down an otherwise half decent debut....

Music example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDOOEdDI2aQ

danielito19
December 1st 2012

their name is a reference to that stupid fucking skyrim joke

December 1st 2012

Did you actually listen to it? Also I feel the need to call you captain obvious.

sixdegrees

this sounds awful.

Digging: Foreground Eclipse - Stories That Last Through The Sleepless Nights

ChopSuey

Skyrim?

December 1st 2012

The name is a Skyrim reference, yes.

AStableReference

1906 Comments

Great idea, naming your band after a joke that has been ran in to the ground.

Digging: Adult Jazz - Gist Is

ApplicationToHeaven
December 1st 2012

bands probably a bunch of autistic nerds

AStableReference

1906 Comments

Autistic Australians?!

MrElmo

1951 Comments

yes the band name is a reference to a game that wasn't even out when the band named themselves this way, nice thinking dexter

Scoot

leave artistic nerds alone

December 1st 2012

Holy regretting naming their band this batman. Frig.

ffs
December 1st 2012

came here to emphatically say Fuck This Band Name, glad it has already been iterated. peace

oltnabrick
December 1st 2012

This EP apparently came out only a few days after Skyrim came out so the joke hadn't been run into the ground yet.

Digging: Monte / Magnétophonique - Split

ffs
December 1st 2012

well people were killin jews before the holocaust happened but it wasnt cool then either

December 1st 2012

not listening cuz band name

Digging: Kangding Ray - Solens Arc

Calc

Digging: Jizue - Shiori

oltnabrick
December 1st 2012

I hate the fact that the guards on Skyrim say like 10 other things but the "arrow to the knee" phrase is the only one people associate with them lol

Calc
December 1st 2012

i hate that your stupid avatar makes me laugh every day i see it