DIR EN GREY
Uroboros [Remastered & Expanded]

by Simon Killip USER (19 Reviews)
November 29th, 2012 | 29 replies

Review Summary: A little spit polish.

It has been 4 years since the release of "Uroboros" in its original entity. As pretentious as the concept maybe, the band consider this album to be their finest work to date but felt that the final product of the 2008 version needed some tweaking to reach the bands complete satisfaction.
Uroboros is probably one of my favourite albums of all-time and being that Uroboros was the album that introduced me to Dir En Grey, I was a little worried about this rerelease due to a problem I have with these types of releases, which leaves me instantly think it's a money making ploy to make a quick buck out of the you -- fan. Luckily the quick answer to my usual thoughts is it doesn't waste your time and there are enough additions and tweaks to justify buying this version -or at the very least giving it another listen to see what the changes are.

The most noticable thing about this version is the production of the album; 2008's Uroboros had a very muddy sound and not everything was in earshot. When you listen to the R&E version from the moment Vinushka kicks in you realize that everything this time round is absolutely crystal clear: the drums in particular are really crisp and vibrant, but every instrument is balanced really well and listening to it -headphones or not - you can really hear everything that is being played.
Sound aside, there is also a couple of added tracks to the album:

"Sa Bir": their opening track, has been expanded by an extra 1:52 and I thought the added time and extra sounds given in this track gave an even bigger atmosphere than its former and I felt it worked really well for when VINUSHKA kicks in.

"Hydra-666": a remake or "reimagining" of what was originally on their "Macebre" album, the song has the modern day Diru sound, very heavy. I really like this track, but if I was to give it a little criticism it'd be that it sounds more Dum Spero Diru than Uroboros, and it stands out a little from the rest of the album.

"BUGABOO RESPIRA": A very intimate, claustrophobic track that has just Kyo singing. This is my least favourite addition, but it does line up Bugaboo really well.

Personally, I think this fine tweaking has only made the album that much better. With the decision to use the Japanese versions of "Glass Skin" and "Dozing Green" aswell, it just makes the album flow that much better (a flaw I found with the original album was the English ver. of them two songs didn't fit at all).

I fully recommend downloading this version of the album. If you are anal and like your albums of superb production quality you won't be disappointed here. If you want to buy it in physical form I'd suggest you think about how much you love the album and its changes and whether the price is justifyed. It's a very expensive purchase.

All in all though, I think the band achieved what they set out to do. And it goes to show the little things really do make a difference.

King 810 Memoirs of a MurdererMarilyn Manson Holy Wood
Breaking Benjamin Shallow Bay: The Best Of Breaking BenjaminMarilyn Manson The Golden Age of Grotesque
Mudvayne MudvayneM.T.VOID Nothing's Matter

November 29th 2012

Damn I need to get this because the production on the original sucks

Digging: Viper the Rapper - You'll Cowards Don't Even Smoke Crack

November 29th 2012

Yeah, I agree, it wasn't a great sound. Listening to this one blew my mind though.

FadedSun
November 29th 2012

Yeah, I'm glad they put this out. Sounds so much better.

VermicideReloadead
November 29th 2012

Vinushka blews my mind, that track is epicness and destruction in its purest form.

Inferis
November 29th 2012

This fuckin' album is so goddamn good.

Digging: YOB - Clearing The Path To Ascend

Sublime92
November 29th 2012

why would they remaster this

Tyrael

ViperAces

dir en ghey

heyadam
November 29th 2012

I love this album. I haven't heard this re-mastered version yet, so I'll have to get on that!

heyadam

foxblood

damn need to get this

DirEnRefused

So fucking amazing.

Almost forgot about my partial namesake's amazingness.

DirEnRefused
November 29th 2012

What's the general consensus on the additions?

JizzInMyPants
November 29th 2012

bugaboo respira is an awesome addition, i actually combined that song and blut aus nord's Epitome IX in audacity and it contributes to the atmosphere.

hydra 666 is awesome

November 30th 2012

'What's the general consensus on the additions?'

Most say Sa Bir extended is abit unnecessary, but for the most part the additions really work in this albums favour.

I don't really get the complaint on Sa Bir extended, I love the build up to that fucking massive bass sound. haha

November 30th 2012

'why would they remaster this'

Basically the band thought the production on the original sucked. And while I'm not really that fussed on sound quality, if you compare the two albums, the difference is staggering.

November 30th 2012

'I prefer the originally production, from listening to this, everything seems up in your face, i love the some instruments in the foreground, some instruments in the background feel the original had, made it sound 3d.'

One track in particular I thought didn't have the same punch the original mix had was Red Soil. The double bass pedal bit in the chorus was a knock out. lol The new mix sounds very free to me and doesn't have the same impact.

sunsleeps
February 19th 2013

For the most part I agree that this version as a whole sounds a lot more dynamic than its counterpart. However, some of the drum/bass work is more clear on the original. "Toguro" is a prime example of such. The snare on the original is really tight and sounds great with the guitar duo but sounds much less powerful with the remastering. In addition, the bass guitar gets drowned out a bit with the more prominent toms/kick on the kit. Tue Madsen did a great job despite some shortcomings.