Paradise Lost
Tragic Idol

by Robert Garland CONTRIBUTOR (197 Reviews)
November 29th, 2012 | 36 replies

Review Summary: There is something beautiful in these minor tones; it’s just like looking at a lobster for the first time.

Paradise Lost has been around for quite a while now. Since their inception all the way back in 1988 they have been releasing a steady and more importantly above average display of music. From there debut Lost Paradise which in retrospect flew succinctly under the radar; to their better known records in the shape of Draconian Times, Shades Of God and Gothic (just to point out some of the bands earlier successes) the music itself was strong enough to launch Paradise Lost on to the global hard rock and metal scene. Enter Tragic Idol in 2012 and it’s clear that for the most part Paradise Lost have lost (no pun intended) very little. Thankfully what’s gone is the use of pop – styled passages, electro influencing keyboards and instead focused on a sightlier dirtier traditional values sound, focusing more on stereotypical metal themes. From top to bottom (and for those who especially liked some of their earlier releases) Tragic Idol is an enjoyable listen.

The album itself lives of typical gothic riff patterns, drawn out melodic vocal passages and to create a spike in interest melodic minor guitar leads. These leads are a high point for Tragic Idol as they float around and under the main sections adding an extra layer that thickens and reinforces the gothic nature of the album. Unfortunately on repeated listens these extra little licks and melodic sections become a little derivative; say for example you order lobster thermidor at a restaurant – this is a quality dish (usually expensive) it’s going to be great the first time around, but order this dish six out of seven nights a week and you’ll be craving your rump steak or chicken schnitzel again. Now getting off the food, Tragic Idol represents a veteran group who know fully well what they’re doing. The music is consistent from start to finish and roughly ties in the same vein as their previous records (although each has their minor and subtle differences). This is great news for the avid fan or even the casual listener; everybody knows what to expect.

Coming in a whole twenty-two years after the debut, Paradise Lost’s 2012 release makes for one of the most consistent listens in the doom metal scene. For fans of the genre who skipped Paradise Lost and went headlong into The Foreshadowing, Novembers Doom or even the more well-known Katatonia they should definitely give Tragic Idol and the band’s more successful records a listen. For those completely new to the genre or band – well you are either going to appreciate the simplicity of the music tied in with thoughtful musicianship or find this completely un-polarizing. Whichever the case there should be something here that listeners will appreciate. One things for sure these doom metal veterans have still got it.

In Flames Siren CharmsMastodon Once More 'Round the Sun
Mayhem Esoteric WarfareArchitects Lost Forever // Lost Together
Kauan PirutMiserable Failure Hope
ksoflas (4.5)
Massive, majestic, stern, a flawless album from all angles which brings proudly the group’s signat...

Voivod STAFF (4)
Paradise Lost paint a bleak icon for the draconian times we are called to live and cope in....

Trey Spencer STAFF (3.5)
Paradise Lost have finally completed their transition away from the electro-rock influences and have...

November 28th 2012

Anyone hungry? I know I am. What's up Sputnik.

Jacquibim
November 28th 2012

Album rules, the opening track is really haunting.

Digging: We Will Fail - Verstrung

iDoxYou
November 28th 2012

ride your sexually comfortable ass into the sunset you ninny boy brony bitch omg.

Jacquibim

Will do, cheers.

November 28th 2012

the opening track is really haunting.

Also using the hook line doesn't hurt either, helps create a catchier listen

AfterTheBreakdown
November 28th 2012

another review? Good to see you writing a lot again.

November 28th 2012

Yeah man, As well as my new-er releases I'm also going over some of my half finished 2012 album reviews, probably have another one up by tomorrow morning as well.

AfterTheBreakdown

good to hear.

November 28th 2012

By thewa, for anybody wanting to know what 'thermidor' is; it's a dijion mustard, brown onion and shallot cheese sauce. Easy way to think about it is ' Bechamel with a twist'

November 28th 2012

Excellent review bro, I still need to hear this, I've been hearing a lot of talk surrounding it

Pos'd

Digging: Kangding Ray - Solens Arc

November 29th 2012

Thanks El Capitano, you've heard most of their other stuff though right?

November 29th 2012

yeah def bro my past drummer jocked these guyz hard

I still need to absorb these guys cuz I keep checking their songz but have only listened to their albums straight through like 5 times

SgtPepper
November 29th 2012

I have actually heard this myself and liked it as well. 3.5 sounds about what I'd give it as well. Good review as always. POS'd.

Voivod

Good review, pos.

Digging: The Sabbathian - Ritual Rites

Thanks guys : )

November 29th 2012

As always constructive criticism is welcomed.

Dreamflight
November 29th 2012

Awsome review and the lobster metaphore is brilliant.

Great album, but it does wear off quickly.

porch
November 29th 2012

there should be their, and the word succinctly has no place in that sentence

The album itself lives of typical gothic riff patterns

off, not of. "the album is comprised of" would read better

'releasing a steady display of music' sounds weird, maybe change it to stream of music

this needs reworking

didn't read any further than that but there's a few things to fix

Buccaneer
November 29th 2012

wanna get this, I pretty much enjoy their entire discography...even Lost Paradise.

plus, these guys are from my hometown

November 29th 2012

Thanks porch and yep get this when you can.