Scum of the Earth
Blah, Blah, Blah, Love Songs for the New Millenium

good

by Alex Beebe USER (126 Reviews)
November 27th, 2012 | 10 replies | 1,115 views

Release Date: 2004 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Though lacking an individual sound of their own, Scum of the Earth’s debut proves that Rob Zombie has trained his former bandmates rather well in his art.

After spending so much time as Rob Zombie's guitarist, it's to be expected that a plentiful amount of Zombie's shock-industrial influences would rub off on Mike Riggs stylistically, and that gives his band, Scum of the Earth's debut album a strong benefit and a minor drawback.

The drawback is that Love Songs for the New Millennium is far too similar to a Rob Zombie solo album, the only real difference being the absence of Rob Zombie himself. Scum of the Earth really doesn't feel or sound like they have their own identity on this album, they just appear to be carrying on from when they left Zombie's side and using only what they know from their Zombie days. They should have taken advantage of the opportunity of starting a new band by attempting experimenting with music pursuits that are unique to themselves and different from Zombie's work, to make this project seem more necessary.

Though even if they may come off as a second-rate Rob Zombie act trying to play Rob Zombie's signature sound without the man himself, the major benefit that the member's career with Rob Zombie has granted them is that they have expertise in all the inner workings of, and techniques to Zombie's craft. This is thoroughly enjoyable, aggressively fun horror-themed metal that's bleeding with style and has the substance to back it up. Any fan of Rob Zombie will happily eat up this type of spooky-glam and Halloween grooves of chugging alt metal riffs that they've come to love from Zombie's work.

Even if making a Rob Zombie album is all Scum of the Earth have shown to be capable of doing, they're more than proficient at doing so, and saying they have a knack for knowing how to make a metal album that doesn't take itself too seriously would be a grievous understatement.

Les Claypool's Duo de Twang Four Foot ShackPeriphery Clear
Nickelback The Best of Nickelback Volume 1Eminem The Marshall Mathers LP 2
Active Child RaporJustin Timberlake The 20/20 Experience 2 of 2
3.3
Magnus Altkula STAFF (3.5)

Sleaze Freak

ChopSuey

nice review dude

November 26th 2012

The only reason I submitted this as a review is because I tried to submit it as a soundoff and sputnik told me it was too long, and I really liked what I had and didn't want to shorten it. Even though it was supposed to be a soundoff, I think it works as a nice concise review. This review is gonna count as one of the few exceptions of my personal policy of only reviewing new releases. Anyway, let me know if you guys prefer my reviews in this length, or more fleshed out. And also, Magnus you did a far better job reviewing this than me. ;D

Digging: Glassjaw - Everything You Ever Wanted To Know...

Thanks ChopSuey!

ChopSuey
November 26th 2012

your welcome. And I prefer reviews in this length.

hankdee27
November 26th 2012

Nice review you wrote there, as always. I think I prefer them in this length, but I'm only one person, so... Have a pos. Haven't heard this album yet, maybe I'll have a listen sometime.

November 26th 2012

Thanks for the feedback man! If you're a fan of either Rob Zombie or White Zombie, I can guarantee you that you'll probably like this album a lot. That is, if you won't miss Rob Zombie himself too much.

hankdee27
November 26th 2012

If they really play that well without Zombie, than I guess it's worth a good listen or two. I'm a bit sad that they didn't make their own style though without the restraints of Rob. Could have been even better, but all well.

YoYoMancuso

nice review Alex, pos

Curse.
November 26th 2012

I always liked Riggs as a guitarist

NocteDominum
November 26th 2012

Succint review, kinda really nails it (even if it was meant to be a soundoff) still gets the point across. pos'd