Tonight Alive
What Are You So Scared Of?

by Exhorder USER (11 Reviews)
November 26th, 2012 | 27 replies

Review Summary: A fantastic pop punk album coupling energetic instrumentals with one of the best vocal performances in recent memory

As far as pop-punk is concerned, much of it is a place where no grown man should ever dwell. The immaturity of the genre centred around simplistic three chord guitar work and teenage angst-filled lyrics and vocals that helped bands such as Green Day and Simple Plan rise to fame just has that feel of "im too old for this now" that one feels once they hear it past their early teens. Amidst this pool of mediocrity however their are a few bands that one should consider listening to purely for the fact they have something that stands out a little more. In the case of Blink-182 it was the enjoyable enough guitar work and the balls behind everything, with Fit For Rivals the overall package was impressive but Renee Phoenix made their debut so incredible to listen to. Another one of these bands is five-piece Australian band Tonight Alive who released their debut in October 2011, or February 2012 in the U.S to a large amount of praise.

Perhaps the most noticeable feature of this album is the instantly distinguishable and highly enjoyable vocal work from Jenna McDougall. She has a beautiful voice that is complimented by a fairly wide range best displayed on the fantastic song Sure As Hell. Lasting a little over three minutes, this gem of a song packs a real punch for the simple fact that her voice is so powerful. She has strong control over the notes in the sense that every time the band change the sound up a little bit by either changing pace or just on each song she comes with a flawless and different delivery. Jenna Mcdougall is perhaps the most talented pop punk vocalist out there, and could certainly make a dent in any genre that she cared to attempt with her soul-filled delivery.

Whilst the guitar work on here is nothing revolutionary and certainly does not attempt to deviate too much from the tried formula of over-using a handful of chords, the band chose their chord patterns really well to give off an interesting sound to this album. This is not a brash loud attack on the political regime as found in American Idiot but is more the sound of a band enjoying what they do and not giving two shakes what anyone else thinks of them. There is a lot of passion behind the playing and it carries a lot of fun and enjoyable factors that one can just kick back and indulge in. The drumming is simplistic thudding but certainly carries a solid rhythm and makes for a solid foundation upon which the guitarists can repeatedly play their chords over the top of whilst occasionally shifting it up to give off an even more melodic feel to them.

The actual songs are all incredibly solid and coherent with a nice amount of fun to be gained from listening to them. In The First Place is a short and nice dose of rock music with some great musicianship and a vocal performance to die for but it is the closing song, the longest track on the album and also the title track, which steal the show. This song is a fun, energetic blast to listen to and definitely one of the best songs its genre has ever produced and a pop punk masterpiece. If you are unfamiliar with this band then this is the song to start off with. Definitely consider picking this up as it is a more than refreshing dose of pop punk at its absolute best.

Agalloch The MantleHollywood Undead Notes From the Underground
Black Veil Brides Wretched and DivineOtep Ascension
The Explicits No RemorseRage Nucleaire Unrelenting Fucking Hatred
Davey Boy STAFF (3.5)
Tonight Alive target the world… With a little help from Mark Trombino....

excellent review

cool band

Digging: Chansey - Natural Cure

November 26th 2012

"Pfft like YOUR opinion matters to me. I write these because i enjoy writing, so if you neg them just because you dont like the album then you are a faggot. If you want to give me some ACTUAL constructive criticism then fine, but other than that, fuck off. im taking no bullshit on here from now on."

Ummm, I just said good review. I didn't neg this either. I didn't pos it, but I didn't neg it either

November 26th 2012

Well I have no idea who you are I only log in maybe once a week

November 26th 2012

topaz, souleater is a very sensitive type, do not bewilder him plz

November 26th 2012

you commented on my shoutbox when i have specific directions saying not to.

ThroneOfAgony
November 26th 2012

topaz is a bitch agreed she sucks

November 26th 2012

i have my reasons pest, but it matters not, good luck posting on it now :D

Brostep
November 26th 2012

Not a bad review at all, absolutely not worth a 1/7 approval so have a pos. Great album as well.

November 26th 2012

yeah man im doing all kinds of wonderful things with this account, i even got an avi now.

and as icing on the cake, i have 155 posts on the site that counts for something right?

20077 Comments

"im too old for this now"

Lol why do people keep saying this about pop punk. Disney soundtracks like The Lion King or Beauty and The Beast are great too are we not supposed to appreciate them either once we get older? :P

Digging: Circa Survive - Descensus

FadedSun
November 26th 2012

Not really into pop/punk but I like that album cover.

20077 Comments

that was stupid skele lol

November 26th 2012

skele is stupid all around stupid so that's not surprised

/doesn't know anything about pop punx

zaruyache
November 28th 2012

Stop the presses Exhorder is right for once! The hell is going on.

Digging: Sleepytime Gorilla Museum - In Glorious Times

zaruyache
December 6th 2012

Bumped the rating because I'm a sucker for good pop punk.

March 25th 2013

these guys just played a cover of Little Lion Man and encouraged a circle push pit during said cover

so fuck this band in the ear

vocalist is cute tho

NeoSpaz
March 25th 2013

wish she didn't sound American.

March 25th 2013

i thought they were a paramore cover band or something at first

was really bored the whole time

March 25th 2013

yeh i wasn't horribly impressed
it made me remember why i hate the kc crowd so much
fucking teenagers