Shrine
Somnia

by Michael Snoxall USER (47 Reviews)
November 24th, 2012 | 63 replies

Review Summary: O, e’er in the arms of Morpheus. That lost beauty of immersion.

Shrine is the solo experimental ambient project of Hristo Gospodinov, which blends ambient, acoustic music and field recordings to create an aural experience quite unlike anything I’ve encountered before. Intended as a sonic guide to “low level” lucid dreaming, Shrine’s 2012 album Somnia is a frightening and beautiful composition to behold. Unaware of the album’s intentions at the time, I played Somnia in an attempt to cushion my sleep, but was instead sucked into its intense soundscapes and was lost in a state of unrest, unease and found myself ultimately terrified of my surroundings. This was all within the first six minutes of opening track ‘The Grand Design’.

What strikes me first and foremost about Somnia is its ability to adapt and change depending on context. When I first listened to this I was at my desk, playing it merely as background noise, so as to test the waters, if you will. The second time was the aforementioned sleep experiment gone awry, in which I felt my more barraged by beautiful noise than I was relaxed. The third time I was experiencing the music through my headphones, as I walked busy streets in town. During each of these separate occasions, I heard this in a different way. I was struck with different feelings, senses of engagement and I heard something different each time. Each subsequent listen from those three onward has presented within itself a unique experience, shaping itself around my environment and myself.

What’s on offer here is a truly haunting ambient experience; the subtlety of sounds, the sense of emotion and nostalgia evoked through an array of field recordings and acoustic arrangements. The music, in the right context, can develop nigh on anything through eerie and bone-chilling struggle to benevolent and uplifting within the same arrangement. This is what makes it unique, its ability to blend seamlessly between the foundations of ambient music and its dark ambient sub-genre. The pale rendition of repetition. Concentration and the droning of time, body and atmosphere. Lose yourself within the mists of sounds and palatable depths of creation.

Momentum HerbivoreImmolation Kingdom of Conspiracy
Beyond Creation The AuraIlluminati The Core
Satan Life SentenceAosoth IV: An Arrow in Heart

November 24th 2012

Short review, but I've had this for a while and wanted to see it get more attention. Excellent release.

InFiction
November 24th 2012

Pos'd, didn't read. Will read now.

Danke. awaits feedback

November 24th 2012

Pos for reviewing this man (the review is good too). Sweeeeeeeet album.

Digging: Submotion Orchestra - Alium

InFiction
November 24th 2012

Awesome. You kind of set the album up in a way that highlights a single positive aspect, but in this case, it pays off. Just listened to The Grand Design and I loved it. Will have to get my hands on this. Excellent review, anyway.

November 24th 2012

Honestly, I had a little difficulty with this. It's too difficult to describe the sound of the album, which some people may be put off by because I barely described the actual sound. I mean, this could be like 100 different albums for 100 different people.

November 24th 2012

And yeah, couldn't really find any negatives about the album, but it's not perfect.

Also, thanks, bros m/

The Iron Water is just beautiful

November 24th 2012

Dream Captured In Stone is one of my faves.

November 24th 2012

Album rules but it's not my fav ambient album of the year.

November 24th 2012

Haven't heard much ambient this year, but that new Tim Hecker collab rules. Need more ambient though. I've also heard the two Black Swan albums and need to check the new Atrium Carceri albums. What others are there I should check out?

Ulrich Schnauss & Mark Peters - Underrated Science
Tor lundvall - The Shipyard
Television Sky - Endless Surface
The Caretaker - Patience

November 24th 2012

Also thanks for reminding me about Shrine, listening to this again is beautiful. Also, check out / Bruno Sanfilippo - Urbs

Mike check out

Mulm - The End of Greatness
Spheruleus - Cyanometry
Wil Bolton - Under a Name That Hides Her
Witxes - Winter Light Burns EP

for stuff similar to this

November 24th 2012

Thanks guys, will check those.

Calc

neg.

Digging: Milo - A Toothpaste Suburb

dam

November 24th 2012

no review rules and so does the album a/

November 24th 2012

a/, gotta start using that