The Caretaker
Persistent Repetition of Phrases

by ClemintineBree USER (12 Reviews)
November 21st, 2012 | 18 replies | 1,888 views

Release Date: 2008 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Mysterious and beautiful-dark-ambient-ballroom-jazz.

We all have a little bit of ambient-love in us. On a rainy day we may look out of a cracked window to absorb the decadence and serenity of the sounds of falling rain. At the beach we may stand still from time to time to feel the caressing sways of wind gusts or we may enjoy the whistling droning sounds our ears pick up. A baby in the womb of its mother is subjected to a constant loud sound that is equivalent to the volumes of a household vacuum. We all appreciate these sounds, moments, and memories because we are instinctively hard-wired to utilize these sounds to aid in many areas of life; such as sleep, relaxation, meditation, the list goes on. The Caretaker's [i]Persistent Repetition of Phrases[i/] aims to be that white noise is in our life that stands as a compliment to our normal everydays activities. Exclusive member James Kirby makes effective use of ambient sounds of fuzz, repetative themes, replicated audio devices, airy synths, and a droning backdrops of minimalistic jazz.

The culmination of emotional textures is what makes Persisten Repetition of Phrases so effective. The deep melancholic feelings of "Past Life Regression" play as a symbolic soundtrack to feelings of nothingness. The title track feels like a person could be sitting at a school dance and be zoning to all the chaos around him while loosing perspective to realities. "Poor Enunciation" feels like abandoned caves of mystery.

Existing as a complementive component to everyday life Persistient Repetition of Phrases is a great release out of James discog and shows why he is a worthy artist creative ambient music in our present day.

Echolyn Suffocating the BloomSoul Cycle Soul Cycle II
Monolithe Monolithe IIINecroven Worship of Humiliation
Tidal Force NebulaAllan Holdsworth Secrets

rainfall is decadent ?

Digging: Synaesthesia (UK) - Synaesthesia

November 21st 2012

grreat great great album, more ephemeral or something than Empty Bliss but still absolutely gorgeous

YankeeDudel

is that tim robbins?

Digging: Bedhead - WhatFunLifeWas

19471 Comments

hey it's riff's avatar

Digging: The Who - Tommy

November 21st 2012

Good review! I think your point about the Caretaker's music acting as a "complement" to various everyday life activities--sort of as a soundtrack--is potentially spot-on, but this is one of those reviews where I'm left wanting more. Through what means, exactly, does Kirby achieve this effect? (You start to do this with the last sentence of you first paragraph, but I'd like to hear it applied to the specific songs you mention in the second.) Why is his approach meaningful and not boring?

There are a few other nitpicks--the formatting on the album title (it should be "[/i]", not "[i/]"), "repetitive" is misspelled, a few sentences could be clearer, and I agree that "decadent" isn't the first word that comes to mind with regard to rainfall, although decadence in the sense of a process of decay does indeed play a heavy role in the Caretaker's aesthetic.

Good work, anyhow

Shuyin

riff

Digging: Blut Aus Nord - Memoria Vetusta II: Dialogue with the Stars

Funeralopolis

riff [2]

Digging: RATKING - So It Goes

November 21st 2012

i doubt it will be his profile picture any more if he sees this review

MO

ffir

Digging: Immolation - Dawn of Possession

Funeralopolis
November 21st 2012

does dat ass have an ambient album too?

ambient ass

mindleviticus
November 21st 2012

I like AEBBTW more, but this is still really good

gd al, pos on rev

Digging: Tukaaria - Raw to the Rapine

November 21st 2012

i actually think i like the alternate re-release album cover more

Ire

ifrf

MisterTornado
December 1st 2012

might be his best album

"i actually think i like the alternate re-release album cover more"

agreed

October 30th 2013

can't believe I was the first to review this.

Kman418
January 26th 2014

false memory syndrome is one of the best songs ever recorded

Digging: Joyce Manor - Never Hungover Again