P.O.S.
We Don't Even Live Here

by Jacob R. STAFF
November 20th, 2012 | 71 replies | 8,807 views

Review Summary: I don't wanna think about it, I just wanna get down.

The most notable difference in 2012’s P.O.S. is that he isn’t taking himself as seriously, and this is big news considering 2009’s Never Better. The album existed as a call to arms against pop culture, but in a tightly scripted manner. Each moment was precisely constructed, and every minute detail captured carefully. Never Better is an anthem of its own, but it’s an entirely different beast than the punk-rapper’s latest release, We Don’t Even Live Here. Instead of intricately planned beats, we’ve got more straight-forward punches that are as effective, albeit in a different way than before.

The most telling example (and most memorable track) on We Don’t Even Live Here is “They Can’t Come,” a classic hip-hop track with the catchiest beat. And that’s the thing - the beat consists of a single note on the piano, accompanied only by a drumbeat Tommy Lee could play. There’s no reason for the song to be more than it is, and the only area in which it happens to be complex is through the lyrics. Doomtree collaborator Sims excels here, providing notable lyrics to the greater picture at hand: “I don't do what it takes anymore; I demand.” And P.O.S. entertains the image of a younger Stefan Alexander in elementary school, armed with his Chucks. (“Sick ***, punk with a rat in his book bag / pig pen with a head full of “deal with it”.) The lyrics work so well, though, because the music lets them breathe.

This is another characteristic of We Don’t Even Live Here, lyrical prowess being the most complex aspect of the music. “Get Down” is a nihilist’s wet dream, told through vivid imagery and exciting wordplay, but the song’s unforgettable because of that damned dirty dutch synth. Similarly, P.O.S. paints a rather dark picture with “All Of It.” (“We ain’t gotta throw stones at a glass house / we break in, just so we can smash out.”) And while the lyrics are capable of holding their own ground, they’re as successful as they are because of the song’s chaotic, yet stable, backbone.

Overall, P.O.S.’s latest effort is quite the fun diversion from the norm. Tracks like “Bumper” and “Piano Hits” really stick with the listener, and show a positive result from the Minnesota-born rapper’s experiments as of late. However, there are also a few downfalls to this technique. The album occasionally misfires with hopeful anthems that don’t mesh too well with P.O.S.’s playful production preferences. “Lockpicks, Knives, Bricks & Bats” is an attempt at a crowd-gatherer, a way to flesh out the crowd’s anarchistic tendencies. However, the effective lyrics are diluted by the song’s drowsy structuring. A half-sung, half-rapped chorus exists only to split up the stumbling verses, saturated in potential but never quite reaching a resolution until the song’s last minute’s bombastic percussion. It’s little too late, though, and a few other tracks on the album sizzle out in a similar manner.

However, the exciting moments of the album are well worth one’s time, and redefine P.O.S.’s role in the underground hip-hop realm. “Where We Land” is a fun collaboration with Justin Vernon, a slide towards the radio that’ll only gain more popularity with time. It’s all in good fun, though, says “*** Your Stuff”; the song blatantly mocks American consumerism with carefree verses about Nikes and kicks. By emphasizing the mundane, P.O.S. points out what truly doesn’t matter in this world. It’s not a dire message, though, but one that exists to entertain.

This brings us back full circle, to the meaning of We Don’t Even Live Here. P.O.S. utilizes electronic music to tap into new resources in which to further enhance his messages, and the album’s all the more worthwhile because of it. Sure, there’s the occasional misstep, but what else would we expect from such an insane album? P.O.S. wasn’t going for flawless with this one, but for genuine music, art that has its flaws but that sticks with the listener through its brutal honesty. The man couldn’t have expressed the idea any better than in “Get Down”: “we *** *** up because ***’s ***ed anyway.” Yeah, life can be a bitch. With that knowledge, though, comes the readiness for next time it takes a turn south, and maybe in the meantime we could just dance it off like P.O.S. himself.

Every Time I Die From Parts UnknownBaths Ocean Death

"Get Down" (video) : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PputxGopVQ

Digging: Deniro Farrar - Rebirth

Apollo
November 20th 2012

fuck yeah can't wait to hear this

breakingthefragile
November 20th 2012

This deserved a review. Couldn't believe how long it took for someone to cover it.

Digging: Glassjaw - Everything You Ever Wanted To Know...

greg84
November 20th 2012

It's one of my favorite hip-hop releases of the year. Solid review.

Digging: Dog Fashion Disco - Sweet Nothings

Sanders
November 20th 2012

Massive fan of this album, so catchy

Inveigh

this grew on me for 4-5 listens before plateauing into a nice, solid 4

good review man, was wondering when you were going to drop this

TomArnoldsArmpit
November 20th 2012

been bumping this lately. your reviews are swell.

Inveigh
November 20th 2012

Lockpicks is one of my favorites though, except that it occasionally reminds me of Sage Francis, which isn't a good look

Eh...

Digging: Anberlin - Lowborn

scissorlocked

good work man

it's an interesting year for hip-hop

Digging: John Roberts - Ausio

Brostep
November 20th 2012

Great review as always Jacob, have a pos. Might want to check the post on MD though, no rating on that one...

May check this one out but hip-hop has never really stood out to me unless it's got "bangin'" production like some trap stuff.

Aids
November 20th 2012

not sure if I'll like this or not. i'm hit or miss with this guy's stuff.

one word

DISAPPOINTING :/

Digging: The Avalanches - Since I Left You

Omaha
November 20th 2012

"Might want to check the post on MD though, no rating on that one..."

I didn't want to give it one, but I guess I should add one. Haha, meh.

Thanks a lot, guys. Yeah I was also surprised there wasn't a review for the album yet. I'd written like 4 other reviews for this, and wasn't happy with a single one until this.

November 20th 2012

I may check this out, I dont listen to enough hip-hop. Good review, Jacob.

November 20th 2012

Oh I'm sure there are, what I meant was that I was going to look this up just out of curiosity.

you could probably make a 250 album list for that potsy

November 20th 2012

I'll check out your list as well, you always know all the best and overlooked albums.

November 20th 2012

this is like his worst, but I didn't really give his debut a fair chance

I didn't care for it at all when I listened to it

@Silent
No, I'd be very eager to see what you'd add. Also, do you know any "Psychedelic hip-hop" albums? Anything with spacey and chill beats. Thanks.