Scott Kelly and the Road Home
The Forgiven Ghost In Me

by Michael Snoxall USER (47 Reviews)
November 18th, 2012 | 29 replies | 2,323 views

Review Summary: Steve Von Till may find a solo competitor in Scott Kelly yet.

When matched up to his counterpart Steve Von Till in Neurosis, Scott Kelly holds his own and the two create a powerful duo in the band, but when compared on each man’s stand alone solo folk projects, Von Till has always outshined Kelly in every aspect. This isn’t to say Kelly’s output is bad, not at all. While Kelly’s solo albums have been great for what they were, they just dull in comparison to Von Till’s, which seem to have a much more stylistic finesse, uniqueness and offer more in terms of atmosphere, with many uses of ambiance and various instrumentation to his advantage. Kelly’s previous albums were much more morbid and dense and had a distinct ‘one man and his guitar’ kind of feeling, whilst Von Till’s seem much grander in scale, albeit still quite sullen and dreary. With The Forgiven Ghost In Me, Kelly has returned with his backing band, ‘The Road Home,’ thus bringing in a dash of the Von Till Factor that Kelly lacked on previous releases. With the backing band here to add more depth to the music, Steve Von Till may find a solo competitor in Scott Kelly yet.

What Scott Kelly and the Road Home bring to the table here is an album that flat out defies expectations, completely overshadowing Kelly’s Spirit Bound Flesh and The Wake. The reason, as stated before, is The Road Home. Scott Kelly’s little backing band here is extremely subtle, on some songs even barely noticeable, but it makes all the difference. What Scott Kelly and the Road Home brings here is an eerie demonstration of dense, bleak and tortured folk with a brooding atmosphere that encroaches upon the listener. This isn’t meant in a negative way, but the album carries the same uncomfortable heaviness found on many Neurosis albums. The Forgiven Ghost In Me is a great example of the power of simplicity in motion. Kelly’s former albums being incredibly simplistic in their execution, The Forgiven Ghost In Me is more intricate in its executions, but the additions of such intricacies are where the brilliance of simplicity shine. While not being simple in conception like the others, The Forgiven Ghost In Me is simple with incredibly sneaky builds, ambiance and strange nuances explored.

It can be as simple as a single string being plucked in slow succession behind the crooning of Kelly and his acoustic guitar, the electric vibe sinking in one desolate time to ring a touch of body to the music. Or it can be as simple as a steady, droning tone played quietly over the music so as it can barely be noticed, but is felt in the completeness of it all. Quiet drums, distant, piercing guitar melodies, hushed harmonica, it all adds to the incredible ambiance and ultimately is what makes this album as delicately brilliant as it is. Despite all this, the album made me weary on my very first listen, as the first track ‘A Spirit Redeemed To The Sun,’ is a deceiving opener for the album. From its more traditional folk structure and execution, Kelly’s withered vocals croaking over a straightforward strummed riff, a country-style acoustic plucking with a light ambient humming behind it all. Ultimately, what separates it from the remainder of the album is its particular ‘upbeat’ (for lack of a better word) feel and almost predictably cliché lyrics (I love you like a flower loves the sun/and I need you like the earth needs the rain/together we will walk on/straight through the fire/and fuel our hearts with the flame).

Through it all, Scott Kelly has truly created the magnum opus of his solo career so far. Upping his game with a memorable vocal performance and a much more enjoyable creative direction, he has shown that not only can he compete with the quality of Von Till’s albums, but that he can match the intensity of both his and Neurosis’ artistic endeavors. We can only anticipate what he will put out next, and we can only hope that he will continue down the path of greatness set in stone with The Forgiven Ghost In Me, and his Road Home.

Momentum HerbivoreImmolation Kingdom of Conspiracy
Beyond Creation The AuraIlluminati The Core
Satan Life SentenceAosoth IV: An Arrow in Heart

November 18th 2012

Michael Snoxall, writing his way to reviewing credibility, one horrible closing line at a time. Album really grew on me. My
first few times listening it was about a 3.5, but I left it for a few weeks and came back and was like "wooooaaaaaaahhhhh"

mindleviticus

pos'd

Thanks, mindle.

Omaha
November 18th 2012

The cover art looks like another mixtape by The Weeknd!

Digging: Deniro Farrar - Rebirth

StrangerofSorts
November 18th 2012

While I'm not sure I'd go and 4.5 this, it's still a pretty fucking sweet album. Review's tight as shit, pos.

bnelso55
November 18th 2012

Excellent review. have a pos. This is a killer album.

GiaNXGX
November 18th 2012

Excellent review. have a pos. This is a killer album. Scott Kelly rules. Good review Snoxall. Yeah I listened to this guy's solo stuff, really cool. Not better than Steve's albums. His best effort yet thanks to the supporting orchestration. Yeah good album/review. Oh cool, someone finally reviewed this. Whatever. Fuck.

fish.
November 18th 2012

The cover art looks like another mixtape by The Weeknd!

that's what I thought

Digging: Septicflesh - Communion

Tyrael

20740 Comments

'We can only anticipate what he will put out next, and we can only hope that he will continue down the path of greatness set in stone with The Forgiven Ghost In Me, and his Road Home.'

this is so bad it could be a quote from one of my reviews

November 18th 2012

a really thorough and in depth review that deserves a pos

gd jb

Digging: Tukaaria - Raw to the Rapine

Evreaia
November 18th 2012

cool album, got couple of great songs on it

Digging: Monarch - Sabbracadaver

drewcordova
November 18th 2012

POS. Your reviews are consistently better each time.

SgtPepper
November 18th 2012

Yeah Michael can be a very good writer when he's serious. POS'd.

this is so bad it could be a quote from one of my reviews

I put that line in there just for you, Ty < 3

POS. Your reviews are consistently better each time.

Thank you, I'm always doing my best to improve.

Yeah Michael can be a very good writer when he's serious. POS'd.

Sometimes I like to kick my feet back and write really horrible joke reviews sometimes, you know?

Holy shite, how did I miss this? Ace review bro. Fuckin' POS.

Thanks, Snotty. Luv u bro

aaaaaaaaaaaand thanks to everyone else who commented/pos'd.

bach

11966 Comments

Pos'd.

Digging: Walknut - Graveforests And Their Shadows

Xenophanes
November 18th 2012

I have yet to hear this. Maybe I should fix that...(but not because of this review, obviously)

Digging: United Nations - The Next Four Years

of course not.

Xenophanes
November 18th 2012

Still haven't heard Von Til. Where should I start because I've heard good things

Relinquished
November 18th 2012

start from his first album

November 18th 2012

You may as well start with As The Crow Flies and then move onto If I Should Fall To The Field and A Grave Is A
Grim Horse

I personally think If I Should Fall To The Field is his best, though.