Parkway Drive
Atlas

by MezoIsMusic USER (6 Reviews)
November 14th, 2012 | 48 replies

Review Summary: Talent wise, Parkway Drive has already proven to be a powerhouse in the metal scene. They write cohesive songs, which are usually illuminated by mature and challenging riffs and breakdowns. If you are craving some complex, yet catchy metalcore music, you

Atlas is the fourth album by Australian Metalcore band Parkway Drive. It was recorded in Los Angeles, California and will be released on October 30th, 2012 through Epitaph Records. Critics and fans alike have described this album as one of the best metalcore albums in recent years. Steven Pongrac from Me Gusta Reviews awarded the album 10/10 and concluded that Atlas “will go down in history”. And after listening to this, Pongrac makes a valid point. Talent wise, Parkway Drive has already proven to be a powerhouse in the metal scene. They write cohesive songs, which are usually illuminated by mature and challenging riffs and breakdowns. If you are craving some complex, yet catchy metalcore music, you will be extremely satisfied by Atlas.

1.) Sparks: You can’t start a fire without some sparks. 5/5

2.) Old Ghosts / New Regrets: Welcome to the fire. It’s a big one. In one hand you have a fire extinguisher and the other hand you have lighter fluid. What will you throw into the flames? 4/5

3.) Dream Run: A more mainstream metalcore song, Dream Run is a perfect track to attract fans of all shapes and sizes. If you have a high school brother or sister with underlying emo tendencies, DO NOT show them this song. 5/5

4.) Wild Eyes: This track will make your wild eyes bulge with amazement. The world is ending and all we can do is chant. 5/5

5.) Dark Days: The music video for this song is below. If you’re not wearing anti-perspirant, accept the sweat, and stop wearing gray shirts. 5/5

6.) The River: I always knew Yani was the sixth member and third guitarist of Parkway Drive. This song is beautiful. If Carrion and Home Is For The Heartless had a baby. 4/5

7.) Swing: This entire song is a brutally beautiful breakdown. If they play this live, there will be casualties. Easily my favorite song on the record. 5/5

8.) The Slow Surrender: Can you tune lower than Drop C and still write a catchy song? Parkway can. From 2:45 to 3:00 you will hear something that you’ve never heard Parkway do before. It is creative and amazing. 4.5/5

9.) Atlas: The album is named after this song for a reason. Another beautiful song carried by Winston’s beautiful lyrics. From 2:13 on you will be amazed yet again. This is what Metalcore is supposed to sound like. 5/5

10.) Sleight of Hand: The guitar riff at 1:52 feels like a headshot. 4/5

11.) Snake Oil and Holy Water: Your objective is to dodge the bullets. Ready, Set, Go! 3.5/5

12.) Blue and the Grey: This is easily the best album “finisher” they have ever written. It is a melodic and brutal masterpiece (especially from 4:38 on). It might very well be the best song on Atlas. 5/5

Follow me at ChewTheDirt.com

The Game Jesus PieceWiz Khalifa O.N.I.F.C.
JD McPherson Signs And Signifiers The World from the Side of the Moon
Deftones Koi No Yokan
  • Jacob Hollows (3)
    Parkway Drive simultaneously progresses and yet regresses, maintaining their omnipresent s...

fiendish (3.5)
    Music changes, but Parkway Drive’s style endures....

Cryio (2.5)
    Another mediocre affair unfortunately....

hankdee27 (4)
    Surprising experimentation that isn't an everyday breed you see of the metalcore genre....

• apokolypz (4)
    Parkway Drive has always had the aggression, now they have gained the emotion....

SnoopiestGraph (5)
    Buy it today, then buy your friend a copy and support an amazing band of five unimaginably...

NeoSpaz (3.5)
    A step back in the right direction...

MichaelSnoxall

Terrible review.

"You can’t start a fire without some sparks."

OH YEAH, THAT GIVES ME SO MUCH INFORMATION ABOUT THE SONG.

"Parkway Drive has already proven to be a powerhouse in the metal scene. They write cohesive songs"

You refer to the band as an "it" in the first sentence, then go on to say "they," please only use one tense.

"Welcome to the fire. It’s a big one. In one hand you have a fire extinguisher and the other hand you have lighter fluid. What will you throw into the flames?"

YEAH, GREAT JOB TELLING ME ANYTHING ABOUT THE SONG, JACKASS.

"A more mainstream metalcore song, Dream Run is a perfect track to attract fans of all shapes and sizes. If you have a high school brother or sister with underlying emo tendencies, DO NOT show them this song. 5/5"

WHAT THE FUCK DOES THIS EVEN MEAN? "OH YEAH, IT'S A GENERIC METALCORE SONG THAT WILL GET YOUR BROTHERS AND SISTERS CUTTING THEMSELVES. FUCKING CLASSIC, MAN."

"This track will make your wild eyes bulge with amazement. The world is ending and all we can do is chant."

HEY, I HEAR LEGITMATE DESCRIPTIONS ARE OLD. LET'S JUST MAKE STUPID HYPERBOLIC STATEMENTS INSTEAD.

I will not even bother with the rest of this god awful review. Neg'd.

MichaelSnoxall

And your blog sucks.

militarygerald

album is ass

Cryio
November 14th 2012

Well, I kinda like Parkway Drive. They are good enough I guess, for the ocasional easy listen. But man, is your review bad. Insta-neg'ed.

Cryio
November 14th 2012

Also, I subscribe to what Michael said. That blog is horrendous.

Winsomniac
November 14th 2012

Bout to chew hella dirt, yo.

DotEight
November 14th 2012

I about cried reading Snox's critique. Ahah.

BillTheButcher

November 14th 2012

What Micheal said...this review is bad news.

November 14th 2012

I like how the summary just ends with a you-
HAHAHA

November 14th 2012

"youre brutal, snox. scathing comments on a clear love letter to a band disguised as a review. sputnik is not for the weak."

Oh my damn...

Minus.

Ouch

DotEight
November 14th 2012

"MichaelSnoxall....Cute picture....In order to gauge what Sputnikmusic was all about, my initial reviews were meant to be entertaining rather than informative. Now that I know I have little bitches, like you to satisfy, I’ll be more informative for the next review. So continue to USE YOUR CAP LOCKS and look like an immature 7th grader. For someone who cares so deeply about a rookie’s third review, I can tell you’re probably struggling in the women department. Don’t worry though; local sex shops still sell blow-up dolls for pussies like you. "

Oh SNAP. No, reviews are meant to be informative not entertaining, you retard.

November 14th 2012

The fun part is that this review isn't entertaining either.

Minus.
November 14th 2012

The fun part is that this review isn't entertaining either

LOL

J0ckstrapsFTW

Haha ya that was lolbad

Hospital

2061 Comments

pos best review evar

NeoSpaz

Intended to be fun?

You came to the wrong place, go back to Ultimate Guitar, they need some more fanboy reviewers there.

SlMBOLlC
November 14th 2012

"Snake Oil and Holy Water: Your objective is to dodge the bullets. Ready, Set, Go!"

WHAT THE FUCK

just mentioning it cause snoxxy didnt.
but yeh i second everything he said worst review ever dude neg'd
dont do track by tracks

MasBarHigeuoris21
November 14th 2012

Leave it to the people of sputnik to tear some new guys asshole over a bad review. Would almost feel bad for the guy if all the stuff said about the review wasn't true.