Clint Mansell, Kronos Quartet & Mogwai
The Fountain

by Jennifer Ravensdale USER (3 Reviews)
November 5th, 2012 | 65 replies | 1,853 views

Release Date: 2006 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Grim and gloom above, vast as a canyon within…

A bleak walk through a cemetery, the motivation to accomplish a daunting task to honor someone’s life; picturesque mental snapshots and emotions come to mind when listening to this fantastic composition by Clint Mansell. Every pluck of a string and every well placed arrangement perfectly encapsulate what feelings were present in the scene. Whether these moods were of melancholy origin or raging actuation, they were well represented by the tune that accompanied them.

The majority of The Fountain, is rather mellow and dark and rarely does the tempo climb to fast rates. This is not a problem however, as this was not the overall purpose of this soundtrack. The intention was to craft audible emotion, and it does just that. Littered throughout this movie score are grandiose amounts of violins, cellos and other strings. They provide the framework for most of the songs, such as “The Last Man”, “First Snow”, and “Xibalba”. In almost no situation do they mar the overall feel of the song. In the rare case where the strings would be played slightly too high compared to the rest of the song, it is only brief and is never distracting enough to break continuity. They deftly leap from soft and relaxing lows into eerie build ups that are more often felt than just heard alone.

Accompanying the strings are the occasional choir vocals, melodic piano segments, sparse drums and fleeting atmospherics that more or less support the rest of the composition rather than make a stand on their own. Slow paced guitar strumming is present as well, frequenting tracks such as “Stay With Me” and “Tree of Life”, and mostly are there as background filling to compliment the strings. The piano is secondary in importance to the score, and while its presence is fleeting and not too prominent, it lays a backdrop to multiple songs and is responsible most of the time for any creeping feelings that can be heard throughout the album. The only real track in which the piano is the main focus would be the final ballad “Together We Will Live Forever”, which is arguably one of the best tracks on the album.

As for the structural aspect of the album, it is insanely well composed and ties in incredibly well to the material it was composed for. Every instrument blends well and showcases the atmosphere that it was meant to convey. While all of the pacing is rather slow, it is still varied in its appearance and its depth, with some sections purposely haunting and deep, while others are laced with extra input to draw the attention elsewhere. Build ups are present here and there throughout the album, but they are mostly there to lean help to a familiar hand called suspense. They however do a fantastic job of fooling the listener and thus succeed in that regard.

This is a fantastic and underrated score for a great and underrated film. While the film and the soundtrack never graced the limelight of popularity, it is a grand album with an almost deathly atmosphere that can leave one lingering in their thoughts about the purpose of life and whether certain lives should have or should not have ended at the time they did.

4.2
Joshua Hunt (4.5)

Bradley (4.5)
And so the black clouds came down, consuming us all…...

Nick Greer EMERITUS (4.5)
Beautiful soundtrack to a beautiful movie. A mix of post-rock, minimalism, and modern classical....

November 5th 2012

My second review, this is a very memorable film score!

November 5th 2012

Good review pos'd and I still need to hear this all the way through as well with the black swan and wrestler soundtrack

November 5th 2012

Thanks! From what I've heard of the Black Swan and the Wrestler soundtracks, Black Swan outclasses that of the Wrestler, but that's just my opinion honestly, they both are pretty top notch.

November 5th 2012

Yea the black swan soundtrack from the few times I've seen the movie very dark and intense

correct rating!

last man, death is the road to awe, and together we will live forever are my favourites. this movie is breathtaking as well. highly recommended.

good review btw

November 5th 2012

Together we will live forever is amazing love that song it's on my sleep playlist

November 5th 2012

Thanks!, also I can't believe I hadn't heard of this soundtrack / movie before I was recommended it
yesterday, it's absolutely fantastic. This review was honestly pretty easy to write for me and I'm not
sure why since the material I was writing about has so much depth to it.

November 5th 2012

You are efficient! You watched the movie and had enough time to listen to the OST for a review. You could be a threat hmmmm :P. POS'd.

The albums effects were wearing off since I was listening to it in the wrong setting, have to save it for the right moments unfortunately. Clint Mansell was actually in a rock band before and it kind of shows, I love how he brings conventional rock instruments into his grandiose orchestral compositions, they complement each other well, examples being "Stay With Me" and "Tree of Life".

Digging: Paco de Lucia - El Duende Flamenco

November 5th 2012

He was in a rock band? I had no idea, I'm not familiar with Clint's history but now that I know that I hear where some of the influences on this score came from. I wonder what his next composition will be.

November 5th 2012

Probably the new biblical epic from Aronofsky

November 5th 2012

Okay so the actual page link hadn't been working for some time but I found the other review here: http://www.sputnikmusic.com/review/10435/Kronos-Quartet-and-Mogwai-The-Fountain-OST/

I don't know if you should shift your review or not, since the OST is actually by Clint Mansell, Kronos Quartet & Mogwai.

November 5th 2012

Slow paced guitar strumming is present as well, frequenting tracks such as “Stay With Me” and “Work”

I think you meant some other track when you wrote "Work"

19641 Comments

uhuhuh uhuhuh hey beavis, it's a chick

Oh atari lol

November 5th 2012

Pretty rare sight round these here parts partner

19641 Comments

@viral, yes i know i have too much time on my hands.

seriously though, good review jennifer pos'd.

Just one more comment Atari for the big 5k

SHIT

November 5th 2012

Great way to reach the milestone, short and to the point, bravo I say