Incubus

by Jacob R. STAFF
October 30th, 2012 | 401 replies

Release Date: 1997 | Tracklist

Review Summary: I'm sick of painting in black and white

How much variation can a single band employ throughout their discography? Incubus are one of the best groups to answer that question - their most recent material has little in common with the raw, caffeinated days of their youth. S.C.I.E.N.C.E. is the cornerstone of a group that has no idea what the hell they want to do - the kick-start to a career that's traversed more musical genres than anybody could have ever anticipated.

Sure, we all had a feeling that Incubus was capable of bending genres like magician to spoon; S.C.I.E.N.C.E. itself hints towards this, although the experimentation fleshes out most extensively between the biggest movements on the album. "Summer Romance" (the only track that, puzzlingly enough, wouldn't be out of place buried within a Starbucks playlist,) meekly positions itself between the headstrong "Favorite Things" and the weird-ass "Nebula," as if it didn't necessarily want to be discovered from the get-go. It makes sense that Incubus were going to head in this direction, though, because S.C.I.E.N.C.E., despite its incredibly bizarre funk-metal stylings, was actually a step towards the mainstream. It's strange to think about this, because the album's so freaking quirky. However, Fungus Amongus was even weirder and we all knew it. ("You Will Be A Hot Dancer?" Really?) The silliness came across as a little feigned in those times, but S.C.I.E.N.C.E. is a more mature display of its predecessor's endless genre-meshing.

The album stands out like a sore thumb within Incubus' most widely acclaimed albums, though, and it's because even though S.C.I.E.N.C.E. was a logical progression in context of the band's musical ventures, it's a strange creature on its own. It's that chill kid in your Biology class, kinda smelly but vibey at the same time - the kid you end up becoming best friends with, despite his lack of hygienic discipline. See, he knows that sometimes it's more rewarding to embrace the filth, to be rough around the edges for the sake of something more important. S.C.I.E.N.C.E. only cares about elements and drugs, about love and chemicals and dust, not about how cautiously these themes should be presented, and this is why Incubus' debut album also happens to be their most unforgettable.

The Contortionist LanguageMaybeshewill Fair Youth

top 5 albums ever

Digging: Aspherium - The Fall of Therenia

breakingthefragile
October 30th 2012

You're a contributor, how fucking DARE you review an album as old as this one, and one that already has plenty of reviews at that.

Lol just yankin' ya chain dude, but seriously though, this album is as overrated as Nutella.

freeeeeeeedoooooooooom

Digging: Fleurety - Min Tid Skal Komme

71981 Comments

great stuff

Digging: Exodus - Blood In, Blood Out

October 30th 2012

whoa shocked you like this kill, sweet

wakeupdead
October 30th 2012

"If I had a dime for everytime you walked away, I could afford to not give a shit and buy a drink to drown the day"

I Goddamn love this album haha

tommygun
October 30th 2012

fuck I bought this like a year ago and still haven't listened to it gotta get on board

YoYoMancuso
October 30th 2012

great album, never been fond of the last song though

review's solid. pos

October 30th 2012

calgone is one of my favs actually, but i cut my version down to 5:30 or whatever when the real song ends cause the rest is mostly rubbish

October 30th 2012

ah, back when Incubus was an awesome band.

Digging: Swinging Popsicle - Fennec!

Jruined
October 30th 2012

Really think everything after this is pretty lackluster outside of a few songs, but I do enjoy what they did here.

Digging: Scott Walker and Sunn O))) - Soused

October 30th 2012

No, they've got much better albums sputnik u high

plz explain

October 30th 2012

SCIENCE > morning view > make yourself > a crow > fungus > light grenades > if not now when

and if not now when is a 3.5

October 30th 2012

Morning>crow>make yourself>science>light grenades>fungus=if not now when

Fungus and the last one are meh, the b-sides album is amazing though, but yeah great and diverse band

toxin.
October 30th 2012

"this album is as overrated as Nutella"

what

October 30th 2012

who even says shit like that?

October 30th 2012

And yeah wtf nutella's one of the few perfect things in this world

breakingthefragile
October 30th 2012

I say shit like that. Nutella's okay by itself, but it's way to sweet, and it sucks so bread so why even bother with jarred melted chocolate. And yeah, I'm a ridiculously huge Incubus fan, but this album's not my jazz. srry ppl.