Bloc Party
Little Thoughts

by Robert Lowe CONTRIBUTOR (90 Reviews)
October 30th, 2012 | 39 replies

Release Date: 2004 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Although it was released to merely hype up the band in America, Little Thoughts EP is a worthwhile listen for anyone wondering how Bloc Party sounded before making it big.

Hype can often be the downfall of a band, especially when it weighs down a band that hasn't had a lot of time to actually prove themselves. This could have been the story of Bloc Party, who were projected to be the next big thing in indie rock after releasing only two singles in the UK. These singles helped Bloc Party achieved heights far out of the reach of most bands, making it big before releasing a full length album and sounding great right out of the gate.

Bloc Party are one of those rare bands whose early tracks are better than a lot of their album cuts, which is quite a feat. Little Thoughts EP is a compilation for Americans who missed out on Bloc Party's UK only singles that proves that feat, massively hyping up the band's upcoming debut album. Propelled by this EP, Bloc Party were projected to be the next big thing, and the five top notch tracks from this compilation certainly earned the hype. Little Thoughts EP consists of the title track and "Helicopter," the two singles that were later released on Silent Alarm, and the other three tracks are from the band's self titled debut EP and the b-side of "Little Thoughts." "Helicopter" was an early standout and would go on to become the band's signature song, while "Little Thoughts" stands out as a fun and catchy little tune that almost didn't make Silent Alarm for being too upbeat and catchy. The other three songs show Bloc Party in their infancy, with a much less developed post-punk sound. From the early 80's throwback post-punk riffs in "Skeleton," to the bright looping arpeggios in "Tulips," Bloc Party showed glimmers of their soon to be masterful combination of Post-punk and Indie rock. Little Thoughts EP shows off the roots of the band that would soon become their staple: Post-punk influenced dual guitar riffs, pounding and electrifying drums, and the emotional core of the band: Kele's passionate lyrics and vocals. Bloc Party would go on to answer the hype thrust upon them with their incredible debut album Silent Alarm two months after this compilation was released; and Little Thoughts EP shines strong as not only a hype generator, but the first of many stellar releases in Bloc Party's discography.