Ablaze My Sorrow
Anger Hate and Fury

by Flut USER (17 Reviews)
October 27th, 2012 | 14 replies | 815 views

Release Date: 2002 | Tracklist

Ablaze My Sorrow improves greatly on this release. A much better produced and recorded album. The musicianship is greatly improved, the guitars have a much better tone. Song writing is a lot more stronger. The new vocalist is a lot more stronger sounding, a lot more diverse. Just an all around improvement on this album. Especially from their second record "The Plague" which was a major disappointment.

The guitars this time around are more centered at just a melodeath sound, and with none of the folky sound parts like on "If Emotions Still Burn". Better written and placed solo's, way more memorable this time around. The guitars blaze with fury and sometimes even gentle melodies in a chorus. What was best on their debut is pretty much found here, its like they took out the bad and kept the good. But plenty is done wrong. A few of the songs are poorly written or some of the riffs are like left overs. Seems like they ran out on ideas for a few songs, especially they can sound alike a lot of the time. But a really great refreshing idea is in "Machine Supreme" starting out with sounds a war. Artillery, machine guns, screams of dying men and right before the tremolo picking starts some yells "Incoming!" right as a heavy machine gun fires with the guitars, sounds perfect.

The vocals are greatly improved, with a new vocalist. A deep rasp growl/scream, lows and highs, and some mids. His lyrics are what a really interesting on this album. Some could consider them a bit controversial, like Suicide.

"I focus on the strength
The strength I'm building up inside
I feel it growing stronger every day
Strong enough to take my life away"

For the most part like most melodeath albums, its filled with pessimistic lyrics.

The drums a think do a lot better than the debut. A lot more interesting and creative fills. Definitely sounds a lot better, the drum tone is pretty standard and it works and sounds a lot better than they did on the debut. The bass though has a bit less of presence. For the most part it really doesn't do much nor is it really that audible. The bass does get a good intro on Paradies. The production greatly improved on this from the past 2 records. A lot stronger, better tone overall on on the instruments. Though the mixing in my opinion could have been a lot better. As the bass isn't that audible.

This record improved their sound greatly, but didn't give us much more of anything greatly different. Better song writing just worked out in the end making this album really enjoyable. Something for fans of melodeath to check out if they are looking for melodeath they haven't heard.

HammerFall Glory to the BraveMisery Signals Mirrors
Misery Signals Of Malice and the Magnum HeartMisery Signals Misery Signals
Aim For The Sunrise No Kings, No ChainsAim For The Sunrise The Bigger Picture; Hope
Dethtrasher (4)

If Emotions Still Burn

October 27th 2012

Hopefully not a horrible review. But yeah if anything in this review needs to be fixed, just tell me.

MichaelSnoxall
October 27th 2012

The band and album name make me not want to bother.

October 27th 2012

yeah? hmm i love it. its so fucking melodeath. haha. I love anything from Sweden or Scandinavia that has sorrow, or misery etc etc in the name.

MichaelSnoxall
October 27th 2012

I'll check it, but the band name suckssss.

breakingthefragile
October 27th 2012

Good review, but where's the summary at man?

Digging: The Blood of Heroes - The Blood Of Heroes

onlyhuman

Good review Fluttertrank =]

19672 Comments

I'd give u advice on how to make the review better, but u never even fixed your last review ;P

Jacquibim
October 27th 2012

Decent review but it seems that you constantly point to how much it's improved over the last album and then do very little to explain why. An example:

The rest of the review seems to follow in the same vein:

You just need to elaborate more, and explain how the instruments work together cohesively as opposed to just dissecting them individually and saying they're "better."

Digging: We Will Fail - Verstörung

TheSpirit
October 27th 2012

Haven't listened to this but wasn't crazy about the debut so I'm not sure if I ever will. The fact that you say this is an improvement is definitely making me think about it though.

Digging: Venus Star - Nigredo Expulsion

Ecnalzen
October 27th 2012

You could totally combine some of the sentences in the first paragraph so it flows better. It just kind of starts and stops a lot. This is kind of a recurring theme throughout the review, so you might give it another look through. Also, you don't need to use 'more' with 'stronger,' it's a bit redundant. Something like this, maybe:

Ablaze My Sorrow improves greatly on this release with a much better produced and recorded album. The musicianship is greatly improved, the guitars have a much better tone, the song writing is a lot stronger, and the new vocalist is much better than the previous one, bringing a lot more diversity to the table. It is just an all around improvement, especially from their second record "The Plague," which was a major disappointment.

Just a suggestion.

19672 Comments

yeah where are you flutter damn i want to help you lol.

your grammar seems fine just gotta work on the improper sentences...don't be afraid to use commas!

October 27th 2012

hmm thanks for the help guys. i would fix right now, but i will have to do it a little later.

19672 Comments

Sure thing buddy, i'll pos just be sure to touch it up later : )

KatatoNick
October 27th 2012

"Something for fans of melodeath to check out if they are looking for melodeath they haven't heard."

Touché.