Ablaze My Sorrow
If Emotions Still Burn

by Flut USER (17 Reviews)
October 24th, 2012 | 22 replies | 1,144 views

Release Date: 1996 | Tracklist

Review Summary: If you're looking for great melodeath, I recommend this.

Ablaze my Sorrow was a melodeath band from Fralkenberg, Sweden. They
started in 1993 and broke up in 2006. For the most part this band was under the radar and didn't get too much exposure. This band is basically something you would expect from a melodeath band from Sweden. But they had the passion to try somethings a bit different or put a bit of a twist on the melodeath sound.

The guitars for the most part play the more chord and tremolo picking style of melodies. They stay away from the palm muted "At The Gates" style of riffing, which helps it keep it a bit refreshing. Though those kind if riffs can be found but rarely. Solo's are played in at least every song bringing intense melodies. The bass actually can be heard,even if the production is a bit choppy. But it definitely has that old raw sound that works great in this genre. Also the folky sound riffs both from electric and acoustic help things stay refreshing. In "The Rain That Falls" after the intro tremolo picking in perfectly transitions into a acoustic folk section with a beating drum. Or the intro of "The Battle" has this tremolo then stop riffing with a steady drum beat, pulling of this almost folky sounding riff.

The vocals are pretty great, very passionate. He for the most part stays in the higher side of growls/screams. Very throated and wretched sounding. Sounds like something is honestly scaring him or stabbing him in his kidney as he's recording the vocals.On "My Revenge To Come" they throw in symphonic sounds ooohs and aaahs. Adding something different from the rest of the album. The lyrics are pretty typical for melodeath. Pessimistic lyrics about depression, pain, loneliness, and misty forests. Its all there.

The drums honestly don't do much that would impress greatly. They do exactly what they need and don't pull to much attention, either by doing horribly or being to flashy.

This album does a lot right, and personally I believe it deserves more attention. Now the band improved a lot more on their third release Anger Hate and Fury. But this album does a lot of things right. If you're looking for great melodeath, I recommend this.