Obliveon
From This Day Forward

by Aaron Arneson CONTRIBUTOR (109 Reviews)
October 20th, 2012 | 161 replies

Release Date: 1990 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Metal so good it must have come from outer space. From this day forward you will listen to this absolute gem of an album.

Something about Obliveon really stands out in a fantastic way. It’s almost as if the obscure technical thrash/death band came straight from another planet. Although they are a thrash band, they are certainly progressive and have a highly original sound. They are very similar to Death and Atheist at times, even though they often lean more towards a thrash sound. I’m not sure why they aren’t more famous because they are true masters of their craft and their 1990 debut From This Day Forward is a brilliant album in just about every way imaginable.

A prime example of the band’s hidden talent is found in the sublime instrumental track ‘Access to the Acropolis’. Judging by the album cover, the band wanted to incorporate outer space into their sound, and they surely succeed on the out of this world instrumental. It starts with beautiful spacey guitar notes, but once the drums kick into full force the song becomes unstoppable. The drums are highly technical and almost indescribable at times. The guitars are no different and sound very reminiscent of Atheist sometimes and there is definitely some Jazz influence to be heard. As impressive as the instrumental track is, the vocalist is also one of the band’s greatest strengths. He sounds great on songs like ‘Imminent Regenerator’ and the title track, as he lets out some of his harshest vocals. He may not have the most aggressive growls, but his vocals don’t sound forced and just fit naturally with the music.

Obliveon are so good at what they do that most of these songs could stand on their own without the vocalist. Although some songs sound similar, the technical drumming and proficient guitars are so over the top that there’s hardly a dull moment. Any fans of technical thrash or death metal in the vein of Atheist or Death will find a lot of enjoyment listening to Obliveon’s debut From This Day Forward. It may not be the most impressive album I’ve heard in the genre, but it’s pretty damn close.

The Residents EskimoTrvth Approaching

recommended by reviewer
Atheist Unquestionable Presence
Death Symbolic

sooo good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgYSs9clDDs "access to the acropolis"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpmjvV1dGH8&feature=related "imminent regenerator"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SznX1oWhGk "title track"

Digging: Spectral Lore - III

MichaelSnoxall
October 20th 2012

Album needed a review. Auto pos.

19756 Comments

thanks haha yeah pretty short review but hopefully it will convince people to check this out.

MichaelSnoxall
October 20th 2012

Review's short, but effective.

Alright cool!

SgtPepper
October 20th 2012

I have this album on vinyl. I used to work at a vinyl record store and one of my coworkers told me it was a good prog metal band from Canada. It was a pretty sweet listen. Nice job on reviewing this, POS'd.

19756 Comments

Oh nice that would be sweet to work at a record store and thanks man.

JamieTwort

20662 Comments

Great review Atari, pos'd.

Band rules.

Digging: Townes Van Zandt - Townes Van Zandt

thanks man

Madbutcher3
October 20th 2012

Album is awesome. Review is good, pos'd.

Ovrot

great album
auto-pos

menawati
October 20th 2012

will have to check this one out

Digging: iamthemorning - Belighted

19756 Comments

Yeah, a big thanks goes out to skeletorissatan for putting this on his recent thrash list.

Yeah I noticed that haha

ViralOblivion
October 20th 2012

Ill have to check this out

19756 Comments

Do it man, listen to more than just one song though to get a feel for the album ;)

ViralOblivion
October 20th 2012

Ill download it and listen to it haha

19756 Comments

cool let me know what you think

October 20th 2012

hell yeah bro ur reving some sweet shii

I know I have this somewhere on my comp, gotta listen again hard

Pos'daskellgasans

Digging: Kangding Ray - Solens Arc

InbredJed
October 20th 2012

excited to check this out!

Digging: JJ Cale - Okie