Skillet
Comatose

by ImTheOnlyThugInTheBuildin USER (142 Reviews)
October 19th, 2012 | 24 replies | 1,186 views

Release Date: 2006 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Hugely flawed, but great nontheless

Radio rock bands, for the most part, suffer from being the most repetitive, generic artists to have left their imprint on the music industry. Such a curse has long since been the trend, enveloping bands such as Bon Jovi and AC/DC in it's money making net and choking the life out of said bands. However, every once in a blue moon, should the stars be aligned correctly, one band manages to stray away from the beaten path and release an album that stands out as being a cut above their peers, and, on Comatose, Skillet achieved this.

Now, I shall say straight away, this album is not a perfect album by any stretch of the imagination. However, what this is is three quarters of an hour of catchy, enjoyable enough rock music full of pulsing guitar riffs and catchy enough choruses, and actually breaks away from the stereotypical themes of much radio rock, and provides a little more variety. Each of the twelve songs found throughout this release is as fun to listen to as the last, and some of them pack a real punch, and create an impact upon the listener almost unheard of in such a generic genre.

The real weakness of this album, however, is utterly unforgivable. John Cooper's vocal work throughout this release is very weak, and, despite fitting the music, and the themes found on here, he comes across as sounding a little too underwhelming. He has a very gruff, almost Nickelback-sounding voice, although thankfully not being that bad, he is still by far the weakest member of the band. The occasional female vocals from Korey Cooper is considerably stronger, and gives the band a nice dynamic to work off, with the conversation styling of The Last Night and the dual vocal line at the beginning of Better Than Drugs being the highlights.

The instrumentals to this band are utterly top notch, using some hard hitting guitar lines coupled with nice enough drumming from Lori Peters, and some nice uses of keyboard from Korey. This is the bands real strong suit, being able to put together some exceedingly strong bases for the vocalists to work off. The guitar work to Better Than Drugs, The Older I Get and Say Goodbye are the best moments for the instrumentals throughout this album, which at times does have a feel of intensity. The guitar solos are tight enough for a radio rock album, serving to bridge the individual segments of the songs together really well, and showing the guitarists to have a lot of talent.

The lyrics are also a strong point of the album, with The Last Night taking the cake as being both the best overall song and the most powerful lyrical song on the album. This deals with a guy who likes a self harming girl, but she wants to end it all, and he wants her to trust in him, and really is a beautiful song. This song was the song that served as my introduction to Skillet, and truly is gorgeous from start to finish, with an incredible amount of emotion dripping from every single note in the instrumentals, and even the vocals being completely bearable start to finish.

Say Goodbye, Comatose and the closer to the album, Looking For Angels, are the other real standouts on the album, with each one having enough going for it that the vocals can be completely overlooked. However, this can not be said for Those Nights, nor for Falling Inside The Black, two songs situated in the middle of the album that really serve to drag down the album, and are essentially a void between the stellar first half of the album and the thrilling finale to it.

This album truly is a cut above the average radio rock music, and stands out as one of the best the genre has thrust upon us, with some extremely strong tunes found on it. Listen to The Last Night, and if this catches you, and hooks you in, then purchase the album, and prepare to be absorbed in this bands mix of pulsing guitar lines, great lyrics, and the beautiful female vocals from Korey Cooper. 3.5/5

Blood on the Dance Floor It's Hard to Be a Diamond...Katalepsy Autopsychosis
Cryptopsy Whisper SupremacyHades Resisting Success
Metallica Death MagneticBlack Veil Brides We Stitch These Wounds
Brendan Schroer STAFF (4)
Better than you might expect....

Adam Amanse (4)
Skillet have made a name for themselves, and have shown that they have what it takes to write a grea...

Steven McMahan (3.5)
The always evolving Skillet have left behind the generic hard rock of Collide. The strings and pian...

October 19th 2012

guilty pleasure album, is a 3.5 on a good day.

Digging: Opeth - Pale Communion

mindleviticus
October 19th 2012

i like it, not the best thing ever but it's alright

October 19th 2012

good review btw. Favourites off this for me are the last night, whispers in the dark and rebirthing.

October 19th 2012

His vocals are pretty inoffensive tbh. Nothing really annoying but not stellar either. The female vocals (when used) are a lot stronger. I dunno this album shouldn't really be that good but has a charm about it which I can't help but like it for.

19464 Comments

Pos'd bro

Digging: The Who - Tommy

October 19th 2012

I'm prolly gonna give this a spin after Mars Volta.

KjSwantko
October 19th 2012

The title track is catchy. Band is gay overall though

gay in a catchy way.

October 19th 2012

Is this the same band that sings Monster?

yeah

that song is so bad

Digging: Ted Nugent - Shutup&jam!

October 19th 2012

Yeah, just a little bit. I take it this is a step up from that then?

so i've heard.

FadedSun
October 19th 2012

This is almost as bad as naming your band "frying pan".

October 19th 2012

their fans call themselves panheads

no joke.

October 19th 2012

I bet they all have low self esteem. It makes me sad just knowing they nicknamed themselves that.

cinaedus
October 19th 2012

band otherwise sucks but this album still rules

Digging: Anberlin - Lowborn

AtomicShane
October 19th 2012

lol i remember these guys

JackSparrow
October 19th 2012

Used to always go to Kingdom Bound to see these guys play, this was such a huge step back from Collide, even when I was 12 I could tell when bands were pussying out

Friday13th
October 19th 2012

Definitely their best album. One of the better predictable mainstream rock albums. They shine when they go more heavy and symphonic, but the mainstream cuts like "Yours to Hold" are their downfall. My brother's favorite band. Oh brother...

Digging: East of Eden - Mercator Projected

toxin.
October 20th 2012

12021 Comments

The Last Night, Whispers in the Dark, and Comatose are all sweet songs. I haven't listened to this in a really long time though.