Trap Her Keep Her
Fake Record

by William Lim USER (20 Reviews)
October 19th, 2012 | 7 replies | 1,029 views

It wasn’t until Fake Record that I realized that Trap Her Keep Her was a real band. Irony aside, the nature of the band: their Facebook page, their titles, their song choices (including Drake and The Smiths thrashcore covers) and the…questionable quality of their earlier songs had me somewhat convinced that the group were 21st century hardcore’s version of Lil B. But with Fake Record, Trap Her Keep Her seemed considerably more sophisticated. The group’s eleven minute LP compresses spontaneity into an endless set of twist and turns of simple riffs and build-ups, a manifestation of an authenticity crisis in a surprisingly well done burst of thrash influenced hardcore.

There’s very little to say about Trap Her Keep Her’s instrumentation. It’s fairly generic, chord progression heavy hardcore in vein of the underground early ‘90s groups like Battery and Starkweather: consistently lacking in melody, but the band never gives you enough of any one section for you to get sick of it. Each track spans around a minute each, yet the band conforms to no generic song structures, and probably only spend a maximum of twenty five seconds on each section, balancing out the generic tendencies of the record. In addition, Trap Her Keep Her masterfully contrast rather low-key, often solely bass sections and quickly paced runs of chords, often bridging the two dynamics with crescendos peaking in violent vocal outbursts from frontman Jed Bookout.

Bookout’s lyrics are also surprisingly intelligent, describing themes of honesty and individuality using motifs of freedom of expression and the hardcore scene in an impressively cohesive, nicely flowing literal catharsis. The record is riddled with self-confrontational lines like “this record’s fake and so am I” and “so now I’m backed against the wall / I always break before I fall”, which prove almost catchy if not cut off only moments after you’ve caught on to them. As a whole, Fake Record is over in an exciting waterbomb of thrilling, urgent hardcore: short, exhilarating, and consistently warranting replay value – a promising feat of structural prowess through unhinged intuitive shifts.

Download the album for free or by donation here: