BATS
The Sleep of Reason

by Brent Stephenson USER (67 Reviews)
October 19th, 2012 | 91 replies | 8,911 views

Review Summary: Ireland's enlightened masters of post-progressive-math-something-core return with a sophomore effort that far exceeds the expectations set by their already stellar debut.

Very few bands are able to able to assert themselves with the amount of immediacy that BATS are capable of. The infectious pulsation of Red in Tooth & Claw's "Higgs Boson Particle" made it arguably one of the best album openers of 2009, and the band's penchant for mixing huge beats, instantly memorable melodies, smartly textured guitar lines, nimble bass work, and ample bursts of frenetic hardcore energy made Red in Tooth & Claw a landmark release for the genre. In terms of aesthetics, The Sleep of Reason isn't incredibly far removed from Red in Tooth & Claw, as all the elements that gave their debut its distinct identity are still present in copious amounts, but by rolling back the manic restlessness that defined their debut, BATS manages to create a much stronger, thematically cohesive album.

Still, that's not to say that The Sleep of Reason flies by without the tenacious outbursts of its predecessor. Lead single "Wolfwrangler" brims with the familiar textured guitars, driving basslines, and dance-y beats that defined RiT&C, and "Thomas Midgley Jr." explodes with the same discordant, unpredictable nature that made "Lord Blakeney's Arm" such a surprising treat. The triple guitar/group vocal motif is still very much in effect on The Sleep of Reason, constantly shifting from playful, angular harmonies and ambient breaks into full on riff heavy, roaring assaults. However, the grumbling ambience and sombre nature of album opener "Emergent Properties" ends up being a much better representation of the rather bleak themes that run through the album. More often than not, the playful mockery of religious fanatacism and bubbly instrumentation of RiT&C give way to fuzzy drones, trudging beats, and chugging guitars. The dramatic, chugging stabs of "Heat Death" and the detuned, sludgy outro of "Terrible Lizards" reinforce the lyrical themes of entropy, extinction, and a marked discontentment with humanity's continually growing egocentrism, showcasing a much darker side of BATS that occasionally peaked through in their debut.

Overall, The Sleep of Reason finds BATS as inventive, energetic, and unpredictable as ever, only this time around, the manic, volatile energy of their debut has transformed into a much more slow burning, purposive, and deliberate sense of drive; plus, BATS still show an uncanny ability to blend their often jaunty, angular instrumentation into an almost perpetual barrage of memorable hooks. As sad as it is to see a label as solid as The Richter Collective (former home of equally impressive Irish math-rock powerhouse Adebisi Shank) go under, they might as well go out with a release as jaw-droppingly spectacular as The Sleep of Reason. Here's hoping that wherever BATS land, they continue to pump out releases as compelling and gratifying as the two under their belts.

Coheed and Cambria The Afterman: AscensionSohns Ripe/Rot
Baroness Yellow and GreenRed Fang Murder the Mountains
Good Night & Good Morning Good Night & Good MorningKylesa Spiral Shadow
Eli EMERITUS (4)
Although it stands as The Richter Collective's swan song, BATS' "The Sleep of Reason" is a powerful ...

Dan H. CONTRIBUTOR (4.5)
We have been able to identify, the particle seen in the image below....

October 18th 2012

Stream this ish at: http://harmlessnoise.ie/2012/10/stream-new-album-by-bats-the-sleep-of-reason/

Also, review is pretty short just because you can only say "album is brilliant" in so many ways before it gets repetitive.

sailSAway
October 18th 2012

love the summary. i listen to "something-core" hahaha

Scoot
October 18th 2012

awesome album, such a fun listen

Xenophanes
October 19th 2012

"Strong AOTY contender for me, and Red in Tooth and Claw was already tied for my AOTY in 2009."

Close to my own thoughts exactly.

Xenophanes

PEOPLE DIE, AND THE MOSS GROWS

October 19th 2012

I have them both rated the same but I like this one much better. "BATS Spelled Backwards is STAB" was/still is the only thing that keeps it from being on this level. Song irks me.

Rev

downloading nowwww

great review

greg84
October 19th 2012

The vocals are overly buried in the mix imo. But, the album seems more interesting musically than their debut. Great review.

Please don’t die Bees. Is it our fault?

Digging: Hilltop Hoods - Walking Under Stars

VheissuCrisis
October 19th 2012

Good review man have a pos. About halfway through mine, we enjoy it pretty much the same.

Daedus

Album rules.

Jellingman
October 19th 2012

Got high expectations for this one. Have a pos.

FelixCulpa
October 19th 2012

Nice review, they linked to this on their facebook and said you were cool btw. Love how heavy they
get a times and how it feels similar to their debut but yet different enough. Also as a soon to be
biologist and a general interest in science I do really love the lyrics.

"What effect could something so far away have on my birth? We detect the force of the doctor's
gravity first."

"Please don’t die Bees. Is it our fault?" And yes in a sense. It's still not entirely clear but most
likely it's because of a certain pesticide that causes the bee's to become disoriented and not find
the back to the hive. You can read more about it
here and
Here

I also just wanna mention that on the site where you can stream the album there are also a short
description of what every song is about, if you happen to be curious.

Ssssssss
October 19th 2012

I actually kind of like the vocals being buried.

Jellingman

Album kicks ass!

October 19th 2012

Is this similar to The Fall of Troy?

greg84
October 19th 2012

No, it isn't. It isn't quite similar to anything tbh.

October 19th 2012

Would a TFOT fan like it though? (checking it out already, it's downloading)

October 19th 2012

Probably. It's got weedl-deedls and screaming.

IAmInsect

minus the converge

October 19th 2012

It's weird as hell imo but I feel like I can get into this