Balthazar
Rats

by scissorlocked USER (35 Reviews)
October 16th, 2012 | 27 replies | 8,083 views

Review Summary: The Gift of the Magi

Balthazar's applauded debut showcased a remarkable freshness of subterranean quality. Smooth, catchy and lyrical altogether, Applause endured several dangerous listens: those of the lazy Sunday evenings, the tired ones after work-time or the ones during the late reading hours. In each case it survived oblivion through an idiosyncratic mixture of agitating and almost danceable music formula.

Rats finds the Belgian group in a less quirky and more languorous disposition. It's not that the hopping and catchy basslines have been completely wiped out, neither that the seductive, passionate strummings are totally absent. But the carefree, bouyant attitude of Applause has given way to a more bohemian understanding of pop-rock songwriting. Unburdened and foundered under a dramatic persona of luck-stricken troubadours, Balthazar seem to have chosen a style of blithe and poignant storytelling for their second album. "Joker's Son" is a perfect example of their new approach, with its lazy horns and its earnest statements : "A joker's son/ my coat's somewhere around town/ I never won but I rest assure that I can endure/ The spinning". Slow paced and relaxed, Rats delivers a feeling of whimsical obtrusiveness. The consoling melodies of "Lion's Mouth", the almost haunting in their simplicity woodwind synths in "Do Not Claim Them Anymore" and the slow climax of "Any Suggestion" are among others, moments of excellence, inside a lush symphony of whistling tunes and romantic tales.

It's a sheer effortlessness that's probably the most stunning thing about Rats, a quality of being inconspicuously pleasant that undermines any technical proficiency or innovation which tries to evaluate the album. Along with some restlessness, Balthazar may have sacrificed any surprises, shivers and thrills that a contingent development of Applause's sound could hold. But maybe that's for the better, as Rats already seems to has found some joy in small things, rather than striving for the excellence in the big ones. And it goes without saying that the Sunday evenings and the late reading hours have been painted anew.

Caspian Waking SeasonGravenhurst The Ghost in Daylight
AU Both LightsIf These Trees Could Talk Red Forest
A Place to Bury Strangers Onwards To The WallSwallow the Sun Emerald Forest and the Blackbird
Olivier De Clercq CONTRIBUTOR (4)

Applause

October 16th 2012

streams here : http://totallyfuzzy.blogspot.gr/2012/10/balthazar-rats-album-stream.html

c'mon sputnik listen to this band!

Digging: John Roberts - Ausio

mindleviticus
October 16th 2012

Applause was pretty good. Was kind of bored by it though. This looks promising from your review. I'll check it out :]

SgtPepper
October 16th 2012

Not really my thing, but the review does make a persuasive argument. Good stuff, man, have a pos.

clercqie
October 17th 2012

Awesome follow-up. Their style remains totally unique, but this album is a bit more loose than its predecessor.

Your first paragraph reads a bit awkward, Scissor, if I'm being honest...

Digging: Shackleton - Deliverance Series No. 1

Paragraph fixed!

anyway, I wasn't sure of it in the first place....

thanks for the feedback clercqie and Paper!

Typhoner
October 17th 2012

I'll be checking this out, didn't really pay attention to the band but I guess it's worth a spin.

Digging: Inigo Kennedy - Vaudeville

October 17th 2012

do it, it's pretty enjoyable

clercqie
October 18th 2012

Yeah it reads better now :]

Typhoner
October 18th 2012

Yes, it's pretty enjoyable indeed.

band is so good

Brostep
October 18th 2012

This actually looks interesting, I might give it a shot. Nice review too, have a pos

Omaha
October 18th 2012

Your reviews get better and better, Scissor. Keep up the hard work!

I may hav to check this out. :3

Digging: Deniro Farrar - Rebirth

October 18th 2012

Do you like the band Spoon, Omaha?

Omaha
October 18th 2012

I don't recall hearing anything from them I've particularly cared for, but I may be thinking of an entirely different group.

Either way, I haven't heard them much at all. Are they of similar style to this group?

Tyrael

20737 Comments

One of our better musical export products ;] (with Amenra being the best, obviously)

great review my man

October 18th 2012

yeah i definitely get an overall Spoon feel, particularily with this band's debut Applause, which
everyone needs to hear.

If you haven't got into Spoon, get Kill the Moonlight, or anything they released last decade. Band is
heaven.

Sirob

I USED TO BE A DEAD GUY, NOW IM A FUCKING JEDI

Voivod
October 18th 2012

Congrats on the feature scissor dude.

Digging: Essence Beyond - Carnivalism

klap
October 18th 2012

what the hell jacob has never listened to spoon? gtfo

Digging: The Bilinda Butchers - Heaven

October 18th 2012

Was going to post that Sirob