My Dying Bride
A Map Of All Our Failures

by lostforwords USER (36 Reviews)
October 16th, 2012 | 81 replies | 10,512 views

Review Summary: A Map of All our Failures is an amalgamation of MDB's essential elements, and it has enough quality to stand among the band’s best works, thus, it is recommended to their older fans and to new listeners alike

The mention of Odysseus in a My Dying Bride record seems somewhat ironic at first. Their musical journeys were neither long nor dangerous. When Paradise Lost and Anathema set sail for seas unknown, doing their best to rediscover their sound’s essentials through different musical styles, MDB never strayed from the doom/death path they had chosen since their earliest days. They explored and defined the genre, but only within its limits. In that sense, they resemble the faithful Penelope more than they resemble Odysseus. Then again, the true aim of Odyssey is to honor the man who never loses grip of his goals, stays the course regardless of the difficulties and temptations that may appear in his way, even if the price he has to pay is loneliness.

A Map for All our Failures is yet another manifestation of the fact that doom/death metal is MDB’s only nature, however it is surprising that the bells heard in the beginning of Kneel till Doomsday are not this record’s only relation to the band’s previous EP, The Barghest O’ Whitby. Just like the latter, A Map of All our Failures finds MDB embracing their past and reconnecting with such legendary records as Turn Loose the Swans or The Angel and The Dark River. A Map of All our Failures is, slower, heavier, much bitterer and more stripped down than any of the records they’ve released since the Light at the End of the World. This results in some of MDB’s best material in many many years; Kneel till Doomsday finds them creeping from funeral doom to Morbid Angel-like death metal, with some faster paced terrifying riffs in between. Hail Odysseus features scary, archetypical doom metal, gloriously accompanied by horns-the band’s one-two march behind Stainthorpe’s growls may be simulating Odysseus companions using oars to make their ship move, in a journey that ends with Bride performing a sour double guitar harmonization. In Abandoned as Christ, the funereal tension is unparalleled-Stainthorpe has Christ screaming “Where was God when I most needed him?” and with this scent of divine solitude they round off MDB’s best song this side of The Dreadful Hours.

Not that MDB have totally dismissed what they’ve been doing for the last 15 plus years; there are more than enough moments which feel beautifully melancholic rather than desperately mournful (a major difference between recent and early MDB), to the point where in songs like The Poorest Waltz (which includes a Paradise Lost friendly melodic pattern) and a Tapestry Scorn these feelings are absolutely dominant. The same could be said about the title track which starts with Ahab-like fragile, acoustic guitars and it even features a cathartic melody towards the end that could fit in a song like My Hope the Destroyer.

Despite Stainthorpe’s annoying obsession with stories of (unfulfilled) romance –have in mind that even Hail Odysseus is a love story under cover- MDB’s main advantage compared to any other doom band remains their depth of dramatic expression, due mostly to Stainthorpe himself, something amazing if you consider that this record is relatively naked instrumentally. MDB retain their talent for raising feelings of sadness, nostalgia, horror, anger and despair. This way, songs that don’t actually offer that much to the quality level of this record (but could never be seen as sub-par either), such as Within the Presence of Absence and Like a Perpetual Funeral, still make you feel as if you were trapped in a room with no doors, no windows and no lights, something which ultimately makes them equally addictive.

A Map of all our Failures proves that MDB is not only one of doom’s most reliable bands, but that they remain one of its pillars. It is an amalgamation of their essential elements, and it has enough quality to stand among the band’s best works, thus, it is recommended to their older fans and to new potential listeners alike. Excellent album.

Thorns Thorns vs Emperor (split w/ Emperor)Manowar Kings of Metal MMXIV
Warlord The Holy EmpireKorn Korn
Newsted MetalOmen Warning of Danger

October 16th 2012

Check it out, it is better

October 16th 2012

didnt dig any of there modern albums but i'll check it, well dreadful hours rocked

Digging: Gal Costa - Gal Costa

swee, gotta check

Digging: IQ - The Road of Bones

@KILL
It is far less modern than any of the previous albums

Voivod

Excellent review, pos.

This is not entirely true, I think 34.788%... Complete was a deviation (sort of), albeit an interesting one, at least as far as I'm concerned.

Digging: Essence Beyond - Carnivalism

October 16th 2012

Voivod, you are right however it wasn't that far away from their original sound. In my head 34,788 is experimental indeed, but it is not a radical change, especially compared to those of Anathema and Lost

Voivod

That's why I wrote "(sort of)" :-D

Will check this album for sure.

Dreamflight
October 16th 2012

Very enjoyable read dude, have a pos.

I need to check this too, today I've heard the first 4 tracks streaming and they sounded much better than anything of their 2 latest full lenghts.

scissorlocked

nice read man!

My Dying Bride must be one of the most consistent and dependable bands in metal

Digging: John Roberts - Ausio

zxlkho
October 16th 2012

I listened to this last night and it was really great.

Oathbreaker

you crack me up rif

xist
October 17th 2012

Wondering what Willie makes of the album...

DarkNoctus

this album is really fantastic, took me completely by surprise

October 17th 2012

dam still gotta check, fuk

this album is really fantastic, took me completely by surprise

me too, I was kind of hoping they would follow The Barghest. It's not quite as oldschool, but at least they got bitter again.

October 17th 2012

I'm guessing you are going to love this anyway, it's actually pretty good.
It is more stripped down compared to the records you mentioned but it still includes some very very nice melodies and stuff. However I am a big fan of the older sounding tracks especially Kneel till Doomsday, Hail Odysseus and Abandoned as Christ, all three are superb.
If you need some Line of Deathless Kings style doom, check the title track first.

Taboo
October 17th 2012

Solid album by the masters of Doom!

swee

Muikuli
October 24th 2012

Yes this is pretty excellent.

3.5-4 fo sho