Sithu Aye
Invent the Universe

by Jacob R. STAFF
October 16th, 2012 | 45 replies

Review Summary: Sithu Aye's devised his own universe, and has a blast with it.

What better way to make something huge than to base it on the biggest concept known to man? Our universe has always been a mystery, and this will continue to be the case no matter how much science assists us. After all, our origins themselves are a puzzle - if the Big Bang theory occurred, for instance, how exactly did something arise from nothing? It all stems back to what highly-esteemed astronomer Carl Sagan once noted:

“If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.”

It’s incredibly convenient, then, that progressive artist Sithu Aye’s decided to devise his own universe. It’s compiled of about everything ours contains, but with a little more oomph. Pastures a striking green, skies a sterling cerulean. How Aye goes about creating this elaborate world is by extracting just a little bit of groove from his debut Cassini, a fair amount of Isles’s ambition, one snip here, another there, to contribute to what should be an all-encompassing end product.

Invent the Universe’s concept can be marked as Sithu Aye’s loftiest yet, but the funny thing’s that the music is actually less ambitious than its predecessor. Isles may have had a pretty vague message at the end of the day, but anything more would have been damned unnecessary - the music spoke for itself, and defined the EP as Sithu’s best work to date. This contrasts starkly to Invent the Universe, where the concept overshadows the music. Playful riffs, while enjoyable in their own right, go against the idea of inherently meaningful music, and this is the album’s most enduring flaw. Only in brief moments does the music step up and shine, such as the passage halfway through the album marked by “Nucleosynthesis.” The interlude serves as the pivotal moment where Sithu Aye’s vision of what the album should sound like actually matches up with what we hear, and it’s a stunning transition at that. Throughout the rest of Invent the Universe, the material feels too similar to Aye’s past releases to be a true match for the ambitious concept at hand. The album’s more or less a rehash of Cassini’s aural palette, but with the more refined style of Isles to guide it along. This isn’t enough for someone who believed Sithu Aye was onto something truly monumental, someone who expected more of a shift from immediately catchy riffs to lasting monuments.

While Invent the Universe isn’t quite the album we expected it to be, it’s great at what it does accomplish. “Grand Unification” is as bold an opener as ever, featuring blistering riffs and an unrelenting tempo to boot. This track - and guitarist David Maxim Picic’s impressive guest spot - provides a much-needed respite from the track’s caffeine-induced perseverance. Halcyon’s Plini even joins the fun on “Particles Collide,” providing a bit of flavor to keep the journey going. "Expansion" is arguably the strongest track here, superbly structured and containing all the landmark moments expected from Sithu. And experimentation with electronics is a very prevalent part of Invent the Universe - "Baryogenesis"'s intro speaks through glitchy hisses and shuffles, switching things up in just the right way. Experimentation meets familiarity strikingly well as a whole on Invent the Universe, an ideal mix of past, present and future.

So where does Sithu Aye stand at the end of 2012? Well, fairly close to where he started - possessing brilliant ideas but not always knowing how to go about executing them. It’s admirable that Aye desires to create an album representative of the universe, but that doesn’t change the fact that his music simply hasn’t changed enough in order to let him meet this goal. Sithu’s trying to make a different flavor of music from not altering the formula; from Carl Sagan’s standpoint, this is highly problematic. Sithu Aye must first establish a more lasting sense of importance within his music before he’s able to tackle the achievements he aims for, but at least he's doing what he does best in the meantime - making crisp, funky grooves that stay with the listener.

The Contortionist LanguageMaybeshewill Fair Youth
Fallujah The Flesh PrevailsEvery Time I Die From Parts Unknown
Baths Ocean DeathClosure in Moscow Pink Lemonade

October 16th 2012

Originally posted at http://www.muzikdizcovery.com!

Stream / purchase the album here:

Digging: The Contortionist - Language

klap
October 16th 2012

enough of this instrumental bs review more albums

Digging: Tennis - Ritual In Repeat

Instrumental BS? What, man, should I review moar Cat Power and Passion Pit? ;]

AtomicWaste

1992 Comments

A shame this isn't more of a progression from Isles. Cassini was cool, but Isles really showed him moving forward in a brilliant way.

Great review, Omaha. Pos'd hard. Only thing I would change is "different flavor of music from not altering the formula" to "music without altering" near the end.

October 16th 2012

I agree completely, Atomic. Thanks a lot for the kind words, and that's a good idea too. I'll edit it soon. :]

This definitely follows in the same vein as Cassini. It takes itself more seriously, but it's still not quite what I expected.

gd review sir, Pos'd

Digging: Kangding Ray - Solens Arc

clercqie
October 16th 2012

Must check out. That album cover is giving me massive headaches right now, though.

Digging: Interpol - El Pintor

clercqie
October 16th 2012

Hmm, it doesn't live up to his other material at all. The album just feels too disjointed.

klap
October 16th 2012

no more lip jacob i gave a substantial list of albums i wanted reviewed in the news section no dilly dallying

taylormemer
October 16th 2012

Jacob, read and/or watch Lawrence Krauss' "A Universe from Nothing"

SmurkinGherkin
October 16th 2012

Cool Feynman diagram cover art. Won't check this out though, not too big on progressive shi

Mike08
October 16th 2012

Excellent work, you are very worthy of contributor status. I like his work in the past, I may check this out.

thanks guys!

clerq- yeah, this album's not as focused as i'd like. It's fun, but a little too forgettable for my liking.

Rudy - hold your horses, buddy. I'm covering both Submotion Orchestra and Pinback pretty damned soon, so you'll get
your fill! ;]

Jake - damn, that link's bookmarked. Thanks, I'll have to check it out when I've got some spare time.

Smurkin - you should check out Isles. It's the best thing Sithu's done, and you can stream it / download it for free at this
link:

Mike08- thanks a ton for the compliment, man. Let me know what you think!

SmurkinGherkin
October 16th 2012

Might have a peek tomorrow. Decent review as well, pos'd.

oltnabrick
October 17th 2012

It's free on his bandcamp. What do you have to lose?

Digging: Kane West - Western Beats

mindleviticus
October 17th 2012

Good stuff. Good review as to be expected.

Digging: Cultes Des Ghoules - Henbane

October 17th 2012

Oltnabrick, are you YetAnotherBrick? I've been wondering.

Thanks Jake =] you think you'd like this?

mindleviticus
October 17th 2012

This is damn good stuff man. Good to see a review for it.

ShadowAmI
October 17th 2012

I like this a lot more than Isles. I thought Isles seemed a bit unoriginal, but this is tight as fuck. It's not really gimmicky either.

sexpoi