Exodus
Bonded by Blood

good

by killemall666 USER (12 Reviews)
October 11th, 2012 | 8 replies | 798 views

Release Date: 1985 | Tracklist

Review Summary: The Matrix: Starring Exodus

There was a world of lies created around us all at our birth into the thrash metal genre. Around us, such realities as Metallica and Megadeth being great band's were thrust upon us. However, we were blindfolded from the truth by manipulation of the mind, incessant voices whispering into our brain. They assured us that one album was a sure fire classic, and that there was no fault in it. However, there are those of us that have been allowed to see the truth of this, those of us that were extracted from this dream world and see that we were being manipulated.

The evil Exodus had brainwashed us into believing their album Bonded By Blood was perfect, and that everything else we saw was inferior. They even fooled the public into telling us that it was flawless, there were no cracks to be seen, nothing. But we have our third eye opened, and now it becomes all so apparent that they were feeding us nothing more than lies, so it is time to expose this titan of the Thrash world as being nothing more than a disguise.

Bonded By Blood, created with the intention of being the be-all, end-all thrash album by five eager young men, Gary Holt and Rick Hunolt on guitars, Paul Balof on vocals, the bassist was Rob Mckillop, and the drummer was Tom Hunting, each with a vision of creating a perfect release, to be released in 1985 to the unwitting public. Something that would elevate them to the stance of deities in the thrash metal world, an opinion that has been forced upon today's generation, blindfolding us from the truth.

In reality, this album feels half formed and with nothing truly working out. It has what i like to refer to as All Hope Is Gone syndrome, in that nothing slots together into place properly, and it all just sounds like a workout for the guitarists and the drummer with someone shrieking like a demented chicken over the top. Pirahna, the bands most famous song, is on this album, and that really is the one where everything sounds the worse. The chorus in particular, has drums doing what they want to do, the guitars just doing anything they can to sound heavy, and the immortal and yet pisspoor line "if you think you can live, your a fool". Nothing slots together, other than the leads at the end.

This is all throughout the album. The musicianship individually is without any flaws or chinks in this knights silver armour whatsoever, but when stacked up, nothing works. It sounds rushed, and the production is possibly the worst job on any thrash album of the 1980's. Unfortunately, this blindfold has now been taken off me and i can see the truth about this album. The only song that i truly believe to live up to the matrix that has been created is the title track, which really works well, with a fantastic solo, amazing riffs, heavy as *** drums, and tormented yells over the top by Balof.

The matrix may well continue to blindfold you, but i have avoided this manipulation and can say that Bonded By Blood is a lie put out by the machine that is Exodus. The sad thing is that they put out so much better.