Megadeth
Countdown to Extinction

by killemall666 USER (12 Reviews)
October 9th, 2012 | 17 replies

Release Date: 1992 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Incredible

Countdown To Extinction was the Black Album of Megadeth's discography. This was the album on which the band ***ing toned down their sound from that signature thrash sound that everyone loved from Megadeth, that produced such classics as Rust In Peace, Peace Sells and, oh yeah, Killing Is My Business, to a much more radio friendly attempt for their fifth release. This spawned such hits as Symphony Of Destruction and Sweating Bullets, which made the band instant rock stars, and earned them two million albums in sales. But was this any good or a big hunk of ***? Let us find out.

The guitar work on this album is still very definately Megadeth. It is far more commercially oriented, but it is still definately that technical and yet catchy, headbangable style of riffing, and the soloing is, of course, the usual insanity that Dave Mustaine was known for. This is one hell of a ***ing guitar album, with an incredible solo on hit single Symphony Of Destruction, that may well stand out as the best solo the band has recorded in their entire back catalogue.

The vocals are Dave's usual snarling self. His vocal work on the song Sweating Bullets is absolutely amazing, being completely over the top in his depiction of a man struggling with schizophrenia. This is a great song and a ***ing classic in the bands discography, as well as one of the last glimmers of thrash the band would put out, with the middle section being incredibly thrashy.

The lyrics to this album are some of the best Megadeth have ever put out. They are sarcastic but perfectly written, particularly in Skin O My Teeth and Sweating Bullets and the environmentally aware beast of a title track. These are lyrics as only Megadeth could write them and are, for that reason some of the best lyrics available, as Megadeth have always been amazing lyricists.

This is, overall, one of the bands best releases, and tops some of their first four amazing releases. And the best was yet to come, with their absolute masterpiece Youthanasia. Congratulations Megadeth, on a ***ing classic release.

Metallica Master of PuppetsSlayer Reign in Blood
Wintersun Time IBlood on the Dance Floor I Scream I Scream
Exodus Bonded by BloodFaith No More Angel Dust

October 8th 2012

When I first heard this album I wasn't too into it. Things have changed indeed.

Insurrection

great album

Digging: Failure - Fantastic Planet

October 8th 2012

Sorry, this album makes the "black album" look like utter shit. Yes, Symphony was a cash grab, but the 2nd half of this cd slays.

James Hetfield wishes he fucking wrote Sweating Bullets instead of sad but true.

October 8th 2012

It was just another day, it was just another fight. It was words... strung into sentences. It was doomed, to not be right

Shit yeah.

ashes in your mouth>all

Digging: Throwing Muses - Throwing Muses

no they arent fu

October 8th 2012

aww that along with ur avvy so cutey pie aww ghehehegex

October 8th 2012

oj dont even look at me fag

October 9th 2012

After reading this review i must ask:

WHERE DO WE GO FROM HERE?
AND SHOULD WE REALLY CARE?

ViperAces
October 9th 2012

Title track's demo is better than the original.
Also next album is better.

October 9th 2012

Strongly disagree, this is far better than Youthanasia.

ViperAces
October 9th 2012

I dont know why but I enjoy Youthanasia more. Its funny because my reasons to like that album are supposed to be my reason for liking this, I guess it just dosent click.

October 9th 2012

I've always been on the fence about Youthanasia. Of course I also enjoyed Cryptic Writings quite a lot too......

Friday13th
October 9th 2012

Don't know what kind of koolaid you guys are drinking. I like "Symphony of Destruction" and "Skin O My Teeth," but that's about it. Am I the only one who thinks "Sweating Bullets" is just stupid? Like a silly parody of "Peace Sells". I think black album wins by a long shot on best thrash-turned-mainstream breakthrough album. Dave has always been a thrasher and really chokes when he goes mainstream.

Digging: Asia Minor - Between Flesh And Divine

October 9th 2012

Listen to it more, this is a far better cd than the black album too.

LaughingSkull
January 7th 2014

damn we need more reviews from this guy

January 7th 2014

I always forget how much I like this CD until it ends up back on the listening rotation.