Empire! Empire! (I Was a Lonely Estate)
What It Takes to Move Forward

by Michael Snoxall USER (47 Reviews)
October 3rd, 2012 | 87 replies | 2,916 views

Review Summary: F*ck it.

Music holds an emotional trigger that, for better or worse, cannot be escaped once it drags you to its level. And it can work on any level. Music can grant the feeling of happiness, sadness, anger, nostalgia, motivation, inspiration, empathy, sympathy, shock, horror- anything. And we cannot stop it, not once it has gotten a hold of you. There’s a constant desire of some (or at least myself), to know I’m not the only one who’s going through a similar struggle. It doesn’t make us feel any better, why would it? But why do we do this to ourselves? Emotional pain is all self-inflicted, so why do people put themselves through that? I don’t want to be happy, I want to wallow in my own self-pity, and I want to lie on the floor for hours thinking of ways to end it all. What It Takes To Move Forward caught me at the perfect time in my life to make me feel like the biggest pile of shit there ever was. And I can’t stop listening to it, how could I?

From the second the album starts, I have been cast into perpetual sorrow. I cannot fathom how a single note can evoke such emotions to make such a dramatic stir within myself. My stomach churns, my body shivers, my head aches and I lose track of the world around me. This album makes the life I live seem even more hopeless than it seemed beforehand, the beauty and the magic of it is that I cannot find the desire to stop it. Keith Latinen’s singing is like an ephemeral, dying breath just barely escaping from between his lips. It sounds tiring, makes life a heavier burden to bear.

Maybe, in time, this album will help teach me what it takes to move forward, but right now it’s doing nothing but gluing my eyes to a former high I wish to achieve again; I cannot yet accept that I never will. This album causes me to think; “I guess if I’m going to put myself through this, I had better do it right.”

“I have not forgiven you,
I don’t think that I will.

Will you ever know how hard it was to say,
“You are a lost cause, and I can’t save you now”?

I have not come to set things right,
I have come to say goodbye.”

Momentum HerbivoreImmolation Kingdom of Conspiracy
Beyond Creation The AuraIlluminati The Core
Satan Life SentenceAosoth IV: An Arrow in Heart
4.2
Hogan CONTRIBUTOR (5)
A portrait of a man with little faith left....

Nevin (4.5)
What It Takes To Move Forward is a wonderfully sad ride that will keep you listening for hours....

Eric (4.5)
... and just when I thought my top albums of the year weren't going to be upset by a relative unknow...

October 3rd 2012

Album didn't need a review, but fuck you, I need to express random shit in multiple places all over the internet to try and make myself feel like people want to see what I have to say.

BigBlob

JackSparrow

Perfect album

minty901

1978 Comments

fuck those who neg'd it. this was an entertaining review and well-written. it wasn't informative, but that doesn't matter, the other reviews are there for that.

Ecnalzen
October 3rd 2012

What an interesting take on a review.

Aids
October 3rd 2012

these guys spend more time writing their song titles than the actual songs themselves. album is ok but it's either crazy overrated or i just don't "get it"

ThunderNeutral21

h8 u

Aids
October 3rd 2012

riff you really need to get laid

someguest

20393 Comments

sadly in 2012 there are no more viking ladies

Digging: Your Old Droog - Your Old Droog

sweet

October 3rd 2012

i'd prob hate this shall i check it out

Digging: David Axelrod - Song of Innocence

nah

sweet dlin now

October 3rd 2012

nah dude i always listen at least once to shtity albums but you never know this 5 review has convinced me

October 3rd 2012

was sowings articulate thoughts not good enough for you? high standards bro

alachlahol