Starkweather and Overmars
Starkweather/Overmars

by illuminatus917 USER (7 Reviews)
September 28th, 2012 | 11 replies

Review Summary: Overmars returns to offer two new tracks, and proves they haven't missed a beat.

Firstly, this brief review is solely catered to Overmars' portion of the split. I'm mostly unfamiliar with Starkweather, but from what I've heard I'm not a fan, so I feel it most fair to write about the band here that I've grown to know and love - Overmars.

I was gleeful when I finally learned last year that Overmars was set to release new material. It had been four years since Born Again was released, and no real news in-between then and 2011 surfaced regarding plans about the band's future, new material, etc… their status was unknown and I assumed indefinite hiatus.

Then news of this split surfaced, which would entail 15-16 minutes of new Overmars material…

Overmars has written some of the neatest stuff in the doom metal department I've ever heard. Affliction, Endocrine…Vertigo in 2005 and Born Again in 2007, the latter being their last release save a for-the-most-part inconsequential split with Icos and a ten-minute EP they put out in 2008 on a 7" offering a different recording of "Büccolision" and a follow-up track.

The two tracks here by Overmars include "Solitary/Following the Sperm Whale (Once Again)" and "Last Sail Sinking," both of which, to my great delight, pick up right where Affliction left off. It's typical weird, experimental, avant-garde, doom/sludge Overmars. "Last Sail Sinking" features vocals from the brilliant female vocalist we heard in Born Again (Marion, also of Abronzious). I read prior to this release that she was no longer with the band but she's sure enough featured in this split. "Solitary/Following the Sperm Whale (Once Again)" begins with a somewhat unsettling sound sample. We hear a gentlemen uttering something undecipherable and some other noises and whistling along with it, along with a gentle guitar melody, then we hear a poor girl let out a shrill scream before everything goes quiet. Then the doom begins. It's quite crushing, and unmistakably Overmars'. The vocals are deep, harsh screams and growls. If there was such a thing as "doomcore," Overmars would have to be at the genre's forefront. The hardcore and post-metal influences are all in this, and it really brings out what sludge can be like with outside influences.

Dynamics are a critical element of Overmars' sound. Hard to soft, soft to hard. Soft melodic guitar tunes followed by heavy oppressive rifts. The only recognizable lyrics: "Sail and sink, on the altar of conviction, sail and sink, embracing an illusion, sail and sink, for the sake of salvation, waiting for death, something's running inside your veins," all sung by Marion, who has one of the most captivating voices and unique style of singing of any female vocalist I've heard in metal.

A full-length of this caliber material would be a 5-star record.

HIGHLIGHTS: "Solitary - Following The Sperm Whale (Once Again)," "Last Sail Sinking"

Overmars Born AgainOvermars Affliction, Endocrine...Vertigo
InThyFlesh ClaustrophobiaNecros Christos Doom of the Occult
Ordog RemorseSaturnalia Temple Aion of Drakon

September 28th 2012

I came here for Starkweather and you disappointed me. Neg.

GringoSuave89
September 28th 2012

why write a split review when you won't even briefly go over one of the bands? So you don't like one of the bands. Why? Give a critic. Neg.

Digging: xSPONGEXCOREx - How Tough Are Yah?

Exactly.

GringoSuave89

-high five-

Calc
September 28th 2012

read first sentence..completely turned off by stupidity of it

Digging: Jizue - Shiori

eternium
September 28th 2012

Starkweather is awesome so you're dumb for not even giving their half a decent mention.

To burst your bubble, the Overmars tracks were recorded years ago and the band is broken up.

illuminatus917
September 28th 2012

Were they? I actually didn't know that, but it's not surprising if that's the case. They sound as though they could've been recorded between 2005 and 2007. Did you read that somewhere, if so I'd like a link. :]

And I know their current status. According to the Record Connection they've either broken up or stopped playing. Indefinitely.

Review is stupid.

"I'm just going to avoid reviewing half the album because I don't know Starkweather and didn't like them very much"

sixdegrees
September 29th 2012

lame review, why not just review an Overmars full length if you're going to purposely ignore half of the split EP.

Digging: School Food Punishment - Air Feel, Color Swim

Solid split.

Digging: Carissa's Wierd - Songs About Leaving

illuminatus917
September 29th 2012

I'm going to, both full-lengths actually, but I was told to not post more than two reviews a day.