Deru
Say Goodbye To Useless

by Jake USER (32 Reviews)
September 27th, 2012 | 11 replies | 1,101 views

Review Summary: As it flapped its wings, the audience collapsed from its charm

This album could be first described with a little tale. A butterfly emerges from a chrysalis that is so different, beautiful and cool from every other butterflies that some of the other butterflies are jealous of it, and most of them also are extremely attracted to it as well. As the popular butterfly flies around and shows off to its followers, it successfully impresses them all and is now the most popular butterfly in the land. It’s now considered the alpha male of the butterflies and does its best to assert itself anyway possible. Now take everything said above and incorporate it to the music presented on this album.

Deru is an electronic music producer, also known as Benjamin Wynn, that started out with this trip hop and IDM album with a purpose: to make it as cool as possible. Everything about Say Goodbye To Useless is cool, hip and inviting. In fact, it may be one of the coolest and most seductive albums you’ll hear in the year 2010. Trip hop and IDM are two of those genres that needs to be listened to in the most comfortable of times, and once you find your comfortable spot with this album, it not only sets you in the relaxation zone, but also in a more sexy mode as well. We’re introduced to the song, “I Would Like”, and right away we have this neo-classical start. Low pitched reverberated vocals echo in the distance and surround very classical-like notes and chords, but remember this is just the very beginning for this butterfly as the song ends and it emerges from its chrysalis.

The really cool and seductive songs follow the title track as every song after this is very relaxing, head bopping, and cool. The fourth track on the album, “Hello”, has a really abstract and neat way of placing the beats, especially around the 4:25 mark of the song. Also, the intro on this song is beautiful with its “clanky” and airy ambient feeling to it before it descends into a fantastic glitch IDM song. This is one of the many ways this album attracts you with its cool and transcendental nature and this is one of the many highlights of this album. Groovy and glitchy trip hop rhythms and melodies are captivating and attractive in songs like, “Basically, Fuck You”, “Walk”, and “I Want”. Everything on this album make it evident that they’re perfect for nighttime drives especially the calming ending to a song like , “Days, Then…”. “What happens When You Ask”, is one the weird tracks on the album that kind of separate it from the rest of the songs, except for the first and last one. The low end of the track and snap, crackle, pop sound of it makes sure that the butterfly is now quiet before the storm. My personal favorite song on the album, “Cottonmouth Lothario” is the second last song on the album, as it has a great lounge sound to it, and it leads to a very groovy and trippy climax that is not only very cool, but also puts you in a high state of felicity for the rest of the song. The song, "Fadeaway", makes use of woodwind instruments, however, it's not a very strong song and it feels kind of lazily put together.

While most IDM and trip hop artists try to keep this deep and fashionable style to their music, this album really shows off how hip it is. It may not be as strong as amazing trip hop/IDM albums such as Amon Tobin’s Supermodified or Massive Attack’s Mezzanine, but it certainly achieves a high recognition for how charming it is, and, on the very last track, “Goodbye”, it is certain that this butterfly is no longer able to survive anymore and it ends on a memorable, sombre and relaxing note. It will be remembered for its chic and attractive demeanour.

Fallujah The Flesh PrevailsTroum Tjukurrpa (Part One: Harmonies)
Fennel Resuming the TrailRoots of the Sea Sky Without a Sun
Carbon Based Lifeforms TwentythreeAlio Die Deconsecrated and Pure

Peanut Butter & Patience - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdrmlfS4HWE
Hello - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=md3aiIiX3rc

Gimme a shoutout if you guys see any mistakes.

SgtPepper
September 27th 2012

Really good review, man. I looked up the songs, "Peanut Butter & Patience" really caught my intrigue. the song has a really catchy beat and the video is kind of cool as well. It's interesting how the girl ages but is still unable to break down the "object".

POS'd.

September 27th 2012

Thanks man! You should totally listen to the full thing

September 27th 2012

Surprised this isn't talked about at all.... I expected maybe a few people to be talking about this, but nope! I love the album, decided that a review was in order.

Deviant.

Thought this was bad

Also, why does everyone on this site capitalize Clark?

Digging: FaltyDL - In The Wild

September 28th 2012

Yeah I know. I didn't question why it was capitalized, but I'm concerned as to why people just don't use the name Chris Clark.

Omaha
September 28th 2012

Cool review, man. Sounds pretty good - is there a track you'd recommend?

Digging: Deniro Farrar - Rebirth

Deviant.
September 28th 2012

This site lacks a feature that organises aliases and/or variations in name, and Clark is his most common alter ego

breakingthefragile
September 28th 2012

Nice review, I've never heard of this album but I'll definitely check it out now.

Digging: Glassjaw - Everything You Ever Wanted To Know...

September 28th 2012

Cool review, man. Sounds pretty good - is there a track you'd recommend?

Cottonmouth Lothario :]

Omaha
September 29th 2012

Listening to Cottonmouth Lothario. Cool for what it is, but not my kinda style at all - I enjoyed the last album you reviewed more, the one from the Destroyer drummer.