Revocation
Teratogenesis

by Michael Snoxall USER (47 Reviews)
September 26th, 2012 | 86 replies

Review Summary: Revocation stay relevant.

Modern day technical death metal tends to disappoint en masse, few bands breaking a discernable mould or bringing a decent hand to the table. Revocation, flattening the competition in a rather stale scene, aren’t exactly the masters their dreamy fan base like to imagine. Rather, a backdrop of mediocrity displayed by their peers enhances the band’s image, the latter reaping the benefits. Bringing a simple idea of technical, cohesive and riff laden death metal, Revocation are toppling the competition because they’re not trying as hard as possible to be the most technical band to date. While we find other bands like the Faceless being praised for their experimentation and ability to step outside the box, when in reality they’re recycling ideas pioneered by other musicians and trying to pass them off as fresh and their own, Revocation don’t try to delude their audience. Straightforward technical death metal with a heavy thrash undertone, that’s all there is to be found on their newest EP Teratogenesis, and while it’s not ideal, it seems to be the best on offer right now.

One thing Revocation are always commended for is their guitar work. Their guitarist and vocalist, David Davidson (you can’t make this stuff up), is the driving force behind the music, his fantastic 'shredding' abilities and flair for creating groovy, memorable riffs is one of the main reasons the band stand so high above the crowd. Rather than falling into monotony like some metal albums seem to do, the consistent solos and engaging variety of his playing style keeps you hooked, at least enough to not be bored at any point during the EP’s twenty-one minute run time. As mentioned before, this album isn’t just death metal, but has some serious thrash metal undertones shining through; bringing forth edgy sections of blistering guitar solos and groove-oriented drumbeats among the dissonant death metal riffs and blast beats. The bass seems to live a hideously shadowed life underneath Davidson’s riffs and frequent soloing, but Phil Dubois-Coyne’s drumming manages to keeps its head above water.

Vocally, the band also tend to make the most of their duel genre inflexion, tending to utilize both guttural sounding vocal techniques as well as a more thrash derivative harsh shouting style. David Davidson still on lead vocal duties, with their former vocalist and bassist Anthony Buda out of the band, new bassist Brett Ramberger has taken over Buda vocally too, as well as Dan Gargiulo, whom the band recruited as an extra guitar player for their previous album, Chaos of Forms. Three vocalists may seem like overkill, but the band use vocals appropriately and effectively on this EP, even with minor sections of clean vocals not outstaying their welcome.

The music here is as tight as ever, the band demonstrating great musicianship and an obvious knack for what they do. While the genre as a whole seems to not be going anywhere new and is crumbling under its own weight, Revocation do a good job of keeping relevant in the modern day metal scene. Their blend of death and thrash metal is something of a beast that shows up all the modern metal bands that shoot aimlessly at the technical and progressive metal cesspool that’s stagnating. If this EP is a any indication of what to come, Revocation’s next album has solid groundwork set out for it and is something to look forward to.

Momentum HerbivoreImmolation Kingdom of Conspiracy
Beyond Creation The AuraIlluminati The Core
Satan Life SentenceAosoth IV: An Arrow in Heart
Benjamino Jackanory (4)
An E.P that fizzes with invention and leaks thrash and death sensibilities; short and sweet....

Jesse Knight (3.5)
Teratogenesis EP brings to the table great components of a death metal release, and more....

September 26th 2012

Quick write up. This EP impressed me a lot, actually. Any criticism welcome.
EP's available for free download here: http://www.scionav.com/collection/1083/Revocation---Teratogenisis

ViperAces

No tracks. Woah.

Woah, neg'd already.

Sputcred depleted, balance now at zero

September 26th 2012

Also, I just added a track list, but it needs to be approved and shit. I think.

ViperAces

Ok.

truekebabpower
September 26th 2012

good review, are they any good live though, I have an opportunity to see them, but it'll cost me more
than 25 euros, because they're on tour with dying featus (who I care nothing about)

September 26th 2012

Sorry bro, never seen them live so I can't tell. But I assume they'd put on a good show.

HitlerIsTheBest
September 26th 2012

well there is such a thing as youtube.

September 26th 2012

Decent review, but I don't understand why 'shredding' is in inverted commas, because he does shred, hard. If anything it's 'fantastic' that should be stressed, but he is a great guitarist so yeah I don't know.
The vocals sound better than ever on this EP, so much better than the debut, and music is usual Revocation standard. Will be a 4 unless the last track blows me out of the water.
Pos'd.

September 26th 2012

Youtube live recordings =/= actual live shows

September 26th 2012

The last track kicks ass in like the last thirty second. The final solo kicks ass.

September 26th 2012

And I put shredding in inverted commas because I didn't feel it was a solid adjective and more so a casual description.

September 26th 2012

Yeah, it seems a more amateur-ish word.

his fantastic dooring abilities

HitlerIsTheBest
September 26th 2012

im talking about using youtube as a way to see if they put on a good show.

September 26th 2012

It's not entirely accurate to find out if they do good shows, though. But I guess it could help.

September 26th 2012

This was my 666th rating. I can't rate anymore albums now.

19747 Comments

Would I like this if I like death? Haven't heard any bands on your recommended by reviewer.

Digging: Spectral Lore - III

BlackLlama
September 26th 2012

Local boys and a personal fav. Downloading this now.

Digging: Stigmata - Do Unto Others

September 26th 2012

They're not exactly the same, but if you have an open-mind about modern metal and enjoy Death, then you should enjoy this.