Blut Aus Nord
777 - Cosmosophy

by DarkNoctus CONTRIBUTOR (40 Reviews)
September 25th, 2012 | 160 replies

Review Summary: Blut aus Nord trimmed every negative aspect of the previous two albums and improved everything else, coming away with an album that not only exceeds all expectations but tops the other two albums in the trilogy combined.

To claim that Blut aus Nord have a wide discography would almost be a disservice to the sheer amount of shades of black metal they've covered. They are perhaps one of the most eclectic of the long-running black metal bands, and arguably one of the more prolific, but even to this day perhaps one of the most mysterious; very little is known about Blut aus Nord from who they are, what they're about to even what they look like. To this day you'd be hard pressed to find even a picture of the band that is even slightly revealing, be it that they're hooded, so veiled in black/white filters that what you think is a figure may actually be something else; or maybe covered in roots, or the picture is so dark you can't really see anything. Their albums are no less mysterious and elusive feeling from the cold, cryptic The Work Which Transforms God to the warm, celestial Memoria Vetusta II: Dialogue with the Stars, and many things in between. Cosmosophy is the finishing piece of the 777 trilogy, a series of disjointed (though not negatively), twisted and obscure compositions that flow from one to the other, each released under a year from each other. Though the first two albums in this trilogy have some serious merits that very few bands could replicate, the third album risked being a repeat of the first two, arguably treading the line between boredom and redundancy and perhaps the trilogy being better off as a duo if not enough changes were made. Thankfully, Blut aus Nord has very different ideas for the third installment of the album and came away with an album that not only exceeds all expectations but tops the other two albums in the trilogy - combined. That's not to say that they made any huge changes, or made it sound like it wasn't meant for the trilogy. Blut aus Nord executed this record so well that even though a lot of things are very similar it just sounds like thrice the records that preceded it. Every mistake in the first two albums rectified, every good aspect of the previous albums capitalized on and many more good things added; for a band that has been making albums since 1995, the fact they're still progressing and discovering things, arguably even still innovating is such a promising prospect that it deserves to be met with excitement. Perhaps at this point you're wondering just what makes this record so many levels above the other two counter piece albums, and the answer is everything, even though on the surface it doesn't sound like very much has had a big shift, which is part of the strength of the record.

Cosmosophy shows how very simple changes can have almost impossibly positive results, and just by removing the unnecessary sounds and influences can make an album so much more than it could have been without that step. One of the biggest changes is the abandonment of black metal from the palette - the wretched vocals are so far and few between that you may even miss them unless you're listening very closely. The blastbeats are all but gone, the songs relying on a more electronic, groove-oriented beat to carry the tracks. The distorted, dissonant and cryptic guitars still remain in full strength but now that they're paired with clean, almost desperate sounding vocals, distorted and warped into infectious chants. Sometimes they can sound a little bit sourly executed, but thankfully the distortion/effects on the vocals hide it well and it's never too distracting and often adds to the atmosphere of the track beautifully. Which brings us to the main strength of the album, the sublime atmosphere that enshrouds this record's every note and sound. For a solo effort of just one of the members of the band, the way that the drum machine, synths and guitars all work to compliment each other every single instance is extraordinary. The riffs themselves are as infectious and unique as Blut aus Nord have ever been able to bring to the table, clearly showing that many of the bands' strengths obviously comes from Vindsval alone. Another aspect of this album that needs to be mentioned is the flow of it, a serious flaw of the previous two albums in the trilogy which sounded hacked together; Cosmosophy flows beautifully and really feels like a convincing and elaborate journey through disorienting and captivating soundscapes that only Blut aus Nord could do justice in this medium. Leaving black metal behind in this record only heightened every strength the trilogy's style had in its arsenal, and is easily the strongest recording since 2009's masterpiece Memoria Vetusta II: Dialogue with the Stars. The subtlety of the synths that compliment everything else, the groove-oriented mid-paced electronic beats that increase the flow and captivity of the album, the strong Blut aus Nord-esque riffs that are almost impossible to not appreciate, all wrapped up in one album with all the unnecessary fat trimmed out of it. A perfect closer to the trilogy, and one of Blut aus Nord's best recordings to date, which for a band that is celebrating 18 years of existence can only be applauded and appreciated.

Lethian Dreams Red Silence LodgeAlcest Shelter
The Howling Void NightfallGod Is An Astronaut Origins
Astronoid StargazerSaor Roots

September 25th 2012

unreasonably in love with this album

criticism welcome! :]

Hyperion1001

this is good at best

Digging: Execration (NOR) - Morbid Dimensions

September 25th 2012

to many it will be but it's the album i've wanted them to make for years and i think it's glorious [:

September 25th 2012

lol what's up with Kill's soundoff for this

Digging: Fleurety - Min Tid Skal Komme

September 25th 2012

And I've seen an album rated lower than the user rating but why did you do the opposite? Rating the review higher than your user rating...

September 25th 2012

because it's somewhere between a 4 and a 4.5 and the review read more like a 4.5 to me :]

i'm going to up it to 4.5 regardless though, for now

Tyrael

20901 Comments

Lol captain you're slowly turning into deviant

also pos'd because great review and all

71965 Comments

neurosis are better!!!!!!!!!!

Digging: Exodus - Blood In, Blood Out

September 25th 2012

i just forgot to change the rating, calm down :[

I will only ever see "Blunt Ass Trauma" given by a Nord

Digging: Run the Jewels - Run the Jewels 2

September 25th 2012

i have a dirty mind but even i could never make that connection :]

September 25th 2012

"If your review reads more like a 4.5 then your user rating should match it, otherwise make your review read like a 4."

Tyrael

20901 Comments

'A lot of times it's hard to justify a ratings, for example if I personally think a newer album is a 5/5 I'm probably not going to be able to review it as such because it will be impossible to explain objectively why the album is a 5 so I'll probably review it as a 4.5. This isn't a problem if you're reviewing Dark Side of the Moon or something but let's say theoretically Noctus thought this album was a 5. There's no way in hell he could write a good convincing 5 review for this mate.'

dev did this twice last year and both of his reviews ruled (Submotion Orchestra and Swarms)

September 25th 2012

He wrote those from a personal stand point though, which can work if you've got the chops

September 25th 2012

if it were up to me i'd rather not rate it all since when you're trying to genuinely write about an album having an arbitrary scoring system only adds unnecessary boundaries that i'd be better off without

but it's an expectation for reviews everywhere and it best suits my piece so i put a 4.5 with it, it's not the important part of my review so i'd rather you talked about the review itself

Eclecticist
September 25th 2012

The album art reminds me a lot of the album art for Cursed by Rotten Sound.

September 25th 2012

yeah it does have a similar theme

September 25th 2012

"A lot of times it's hard to justify a ratings, for example if I personally think a newer album is a 5/5 I'm probably not going to be able to review it as such because it will be impossible to explain objectively why the album is a 5 so I'll probably review it as a 4.5. This isn't a problem if you're reviewing Dark Side of the Moon or something but let's say theoretically Noctus thought this album was a 5. There's no way in hell he could write a good convincing 5 review for this mate."

That wasn't the issue Treb, he was doing the opposite, I rate reviews all the time lower than what I rated it as a user because just because the album touched me more I want to score as what the majority or the scene might view it as. Noctus was scoring his user rating lower than the review, that never makes sense. But he fixed it.

And no noctus I'm not hyped up I was just calling out what I saw. And lol on the Dev comparison, I think he would actually be offended that you compared me to him.

September 25th 2012

all i did was forget to change my rating, geez