This or the Apocalypse
Dead Years

by Durrzo USER (6 Reviews)
September 24th, 2012 | 315 replies | 23,970 views

Review Summary: Dead Years is an amazing album, and the best This Or The Apocalypse have put out yet. Nobody should pass on this one.

This Or The Apocalypse have been doing Metalcore a bit better than most since they released Monuments. The great melodies and leads, the insane drumming, the passionate vocals, all brought together beautifully. Monuments, as much as I enjoy it, had below average production quality and despite it's awesome elements, it got repetitive. In 2010 the band put out Haunt What's Left. The production was outstanding and the songs each had their own identity, and despite lacking some of the technicality of Monuments it seemed to be an improvement for the most part.

When the band released their single 'In Wolves' I was worried. It's a good track, in fact it has grown on me so much that I would go as far as to call it a great track, but they can do better, a hell of a lot better. I'm extremely relieved to be able to tell you that the single is the album's weakest track. What the rest of the album has in store for you is the best Metalcore you're likely to hear for quite some time.

The album kicks off with 'Hell Praiser' which immediately displays some very aggressive yet melodic guitar leads and a powerful scream from Ricky. The track is chaotic. Ricky, who has always had a very unique and urgent sounding scream, displays his new range in full right off the bat, switching from mid range rasps to powerful growls to higher screams and back again. His performance on this album is displays more emotion than any of his previous work, and certainly more urgency and desperation. His lyrics are also quite strong. It's easily his best performance to date.

When listening to this band you expect good guitar work, but what they've done here is just breathtaking. When going for a more melodic sound, the leads very from aggressive and in your face, like the opening of 'Hell Praiser' to stunningly beautiful, as they are in songs like 'Hate The Ones You Love' and 'Americans.' Even when going for a more chug and rhythm focused sound these guys sound so much better than what you would expect. The only word to describe is is style. The way they play has so much feeling to it, even things that could be potentially dull come off sounding so stylized and fun that it's damn near impossible not to have a great time listening to every second of their work. The best part of this is that it never ends, they play like pros from start to finish.

When I heard that TOTA's drummer, Grant McFarland had left the band, I was horrified. The drumming has always been one of the biggest highlights of this band's material, so with that beast of a drummer no longer behind the kit, myself and other fans alike were more than a little worried about what the drumming on the new album would sound like. I don't know if it was because they didn't have a drummer locked down at the time of recording, or because they simply didn't believe the new guy could create what this album needed and what the fans expected, but the current drummer for TOTA didn't record these drum tracks, a couple of the producers did. They did a damn good job. If I didn't know that Grant was gone I would assume that this was his work. It's flashy, it's technical, it kicks all sorts of ass, it's a ton of fun to listen to. Fans have nothing to fear in this department, it's outstanding work.

I wish this album was flawless, as far as I'm concerned it comes really freakin' close, but a few wrong moves hold Dead Years back just a little bit. There were clean vocals on Haunt What's Left, and they worked quite well, Ricky is actually a solid singer. The problem is, he leaves the singing to several others on this album. According to the band, Ricky's performance here is much more demanding than it was previously, and he simply wouldn't have the energy to pull off these clean choruses live. It was a smart move in theory, but the singing provided by the others never fits the band's sound like Ricky's voice did. The other issue is that there's really no need for them to be there. Sometimes clean vocals enhance a chorus or a certain section, but here they just feel tacked on to add some diversity, which they didn't actually need to do. When you have a lead vocalist with as much range and emotion as Ricky displays here, there's really no need to add anyone else to the mix.

The other problem... Yeah, we're talking about Metalcore, it would have to be breakdowns wouldn't it? They aren't bad, but they certainly aren't great. They don't match the outstanding quality of the rest of the record. Like the cleans, they make brief appearances and only do a little bit of damage.

The immense amount of things this album does right pound it's few mistakes into the ground, when your finish your listen it shouldn't be the little flaws that stick in your head. They're easy to get over and easy to forgive.

On top of everything else, this album really has it's own identity, as I believe all records should. Many bands in this genre tend to stick with an established sound and change very little from record to record, but This Or The Apocalypse have successfully kept their identity and managed to make an album that can catch you off guard, having many differences from previous works.

Breakdown Of Sanity PerceptionIn Fear and Faith In Fear and Faith
A Hero A Fake The Future AgainTo Speak Of Wolves Find Your Worth, Come Home
Feed Her to the Sharks The Beauty of Falling
thelastsignal (3.5)
It certainly won’t change your mind about metalcore, but it is a fine listen and a certain step in...

September 24th 2012

The album came out in Europe today so... yeah. Review tips are welcome, let me know if you see any typos and so on. ALBUM IS SO DAMN AWESOME.

Tijnmans

Yeah, no!

September 24th 2012

Lol neg the second it went up. Nice trolling I guess?

Calc

Is there a stream?

TooLateToGoBack

so excited for this.

Americans is such an awesome song.

September 24th 2012

No stream yet, band posted on their FB that LifeForce Records put it out in Europe today. I don't actually need a stream to be up to review it if it's out somewhere, do I?

Calc
September 24th 2012

I heard if you review it way before it comes out you do or it gets taken down but this comes out tomorrow so you're good. And I probably heard wrong anyway.

Tijnmans
September 24th 2012

I got to be honest. I hated this and I absolutly loved Monuments and the Pentagon 3. split demo's. Haunt what's left was also pretty good but this is terrible. They went from a weird dreamy underground almost atmosperic metalcore sound to a Generic boring djenty metalcore mess. Seriously put Monuments on right now and tell me that's not a better album!

sspedding
September 24th 2012

I absolutely love this. Americans is my favourite song of the year. Good review. Pos.

September 24th 2012

Dam I thought someone hacked me and wrote this review!

September 24th 2012

Tijnmans I couldn't possibly disagree with you more. Monuments is great but I much prefer this.

September 24th 2012

Pretty fun album, but the drumming is boring. Definitely suffered from the loss of the previous
drummer. Really different sound from what I heard them like on monuments though.

Davidsw

Excellent review, pos'd.
I agree on most of the points you make, but I think the lyrics were much better on Haunt What's Left and Monuments.

J0ckstrapsFTW
September 24th 2012

Im pretty excited to listen to this

September 24th 2012

The lyrics may have been better previously, but I don't let that hurt the listening experience for me. As long as they're not bad and the vocals are awesome I'm happy.

I quite enjoy the drumming, other Durzo. Grant's work on Monuments was obviously insane and this isn't up to that standard, but I think this is pretty enjoyable work.

September 24th 2012

Really finding the breakdowns bringing it down too (first 3 tracks mostly)... disappointing as there
are some great moments on here. If they cut the pointless breakdowns out, I would enjoy this far more.
The heavier tracks do not
interest me at all. Guitarwork on the melodic sections is great though

Nikkolae
September 24th 2012

i actually think this is pretty much on par with Haunt Whats Left, with HWL slightly above this but i really like both albums, Grant is sorely missed though.

Digging: Corrupted - Paso Inferior

Hawks

This is decent.

xandermander
September 24th 2012

I really enjoy this album, Rick is obviously incredibly passionate about what he's doing. Every negative you mentioned is pretty much spot on. The drumming and the cleans bring this down a bit but the rest of the vocal performance more than makes up for it.

silentstar
September 24th 2012

If the guy who sang on You Own No One sang all the cleans, this album would have been a vocal juggernaut.

On another note, the album's sounding great so far. Americans is definitely the standout