Pharaoh
Bury the Light

good

by Drew Tyler USER (68 Reviews)
September 22nd, 2012 | 18 replies | 1,159 views

Review Summary: An album with all the traditional trappings of power metal, with a slight twist.

With a genre like power metal, you can listen to almost any given album and within a few seconds you immediately get a sense of familiarity. This album, like many more of the genres offerings, is largely dependant on rousing choruses, intricate guitar play, and soaring vocals all delivered with considerable amounts of speed, energy and intensity. Top it all off with a healthy dose of mythical story driven lyrics and you have Pharaoh’s latest album, Bury the Light. But that sense of familiarity is quite limited here. This is probably because of Pharaohs unconventional approach to songwriting.

The vocalist will immediately remind you of Blind Guardian vocalist Hansi Kursch, as he has a decidedly strained and shrill delivery that somehow manages to work in tandem with the rest of the band. The vocalist also has a good range, and can sing cleanly and efficiently when needed. The guitar playing is also very compelling, with catchy riffing, and intricate solos often played simultaneously to give the album a more layered sound. The album also has a couple acoustic interludes within some of the tracks, and they succeed in giving the album a more varied feel. The drumming is adequate enough, keeping the tempo and spicing things up in just the right places, and even the bass is audible and has a couple leading lines here and there. In short, all of the band members have talent and show it off throughout the album. Take all of this and throw in some catchy hooks and choruses and you have all the ingredients needed for an exception power metal album.

From a power metal fans perspective, this album is likely one of the most unique the genre has offered us this year because of the band’s knack for melodic and moody guitar playing. The band’s melodic style often clashes with the more traditional styles found here. One minute it would seem that the band is taking a heavier riff based approach, and then suddenly the band is playing a melodic and almost calm interlude, throwing the listener off balance, and making the record seem extremely inconsistent, but at the same time giving it a unique and varied sound. This often times makes for a somewhat confusing listen. It would almost seem as if the band is putting too many different ideas into their songs at once, as there are a lot of different styles to be found here. As a result, this album will take more than one listen until it really starts to sink in. In other words, this is a definite grower.

This is not your traditional power metal album. While Bury the Light certainly contains many traditional elements of the genre, the band plays extremely melodic metal with many different styles thrown together. If you’re looking for a traditional power metal album, this is not for you. But if you’re in the mood for something a little different, even slightly progressive, you may want to give this a listen.

Savatage Fight for the RockWitherscape The Inheritance
Blindead AbsenceArtillery Legions
Overkill I Hear BlackWhiplash Power and Pain

ThrashTillDeath94
September 22nd 2012

Here are a couple of tracks from the album to get a better understanding of the album's sound

Castles In The Sky

Leave Me Here To Dream

Voivod
September 22nd 2012

I have heard good things about this band, in general.

Digging: Troldhaugen - Obzkure Anekdotez For Maniakal Massez

ThrashTillDeath94
September 22nd 2012

Yeah from what I have heard from them, they are a very talented band.

YoYoMancuso
September 22nd 2012

nice review, although power metal's not really my thing

MisterSteel
September 22nd 2012

Their last album was decent, so I'll probably check this out.

SgtPepper
September 22nd 2012

Good review, Drew, as always. POS'd.

Digging: Shabazz Palaces - Lese Majesty

September 22nd 2012

I love Pharaoh & this album is superb solid! I prefer "Be Gone", it's better put together & the overall atmosphere is different. This album (however) is just as solid and good, I wouldn't give it a 3, some people on metallum were praising it with 90% scores and such. Anyways, it's your opinion and it is a great album. Very good review man :]

September 22nd 2012

never heard this band before. :x

I don't think you will like this Chip :[

September 22nd 2012

XGX, if I like this song on youtube, would I like pharaoh?

September 22nd 2012

Not sure :] That song was pretty cool but Pharaoh is different, they are less epic and more technical. The vocalist is pretty weird, it's like a nasty version of blind guardian's singer. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ilvX0zrBgw

that song RUUUUUUUUUUUUUULESS!!!

Okay, I'll give them a listen.

Hope you like them :]

September 23rd 2012

I agree with the rating.

Solid review Pos'd

Passname
September 23rd 2012

decent band the longest night is probably their best.

JF Williams
September 23rd 2012

I usually reject power metal with extreme prejudice, but hot damn is this a great album. The bass is nifty as hell, great tone and it's cool that it's audible in the mix.

September 26th 2012

just realized the vocalist from this sounds a lot like the vocalist from control denied

September 26th 2012

yup and ofcourse i looked it up right now and it is in fact him

damn im good[jim carrey pelvic thrusts]