Method Man
Tical 0: The Prequel

by snoopdogg6969 USER (11 Reviews)
September 22nd, 2012 | 11 replies

Release Date: 2004 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Half his critics ain't got half his skill.

Method Man has the most unique style out of all the WU-TANG members, so expecting this album to fit among great WU-TANG solo albums is unwarranted. Tical was mainly meant to be a club or dance album, which is not WU-TANG's forte. When DJs turn GZA on in a party or club it doesn’t take long before the girls are whining about someone trying to rap with too many jawbreakers in their mouth.

This album is not like most WU-TANG albums. This album is great for parties. If that was all it was good for it wouldn’t deserve better than an average rating. BUT Tical is lyrically great on most of the songs except a few filler songs such as Tease and Who You Rollin Wit. (Note: Itunes has a delete button). Method Man makes typical subjects like sex and drugs surprisingly refreshing with original/witty rhyming and wordplay. So although the album’s main focus wasn’t the lyrics, the lyrics on this album are a gigantic step up form anything you will hear in a club.

The song We Some Dogs features verses from Red Man and- that’s right bitches: Snoop Dogg! “I don’t have Yes-men that laugh when I laugh, remember we all dogs, we can kiss our own ass!” You know when your dog looks at you and shits right on the carpet? That is basically the point of the song, were dirty dogs and you pricks who don’t like it are gunna have to come off your high horse to pick up that *** that Red Man left on your lawn.

Street Life is probably the best guest on the album with his verses on Crooked Letter I. Missy Elliott’s style is surprisingly a lot like Method Man’s in the song Say What. What’s Happenin is possibly the best track on the album for the entertaining lyrics combined with fast paced rhyming typical of Bhusta Rhymes. The song The Turn features one of the lamest verses of all time from Raekwon but is more than saved by Method Man's next two verses.

What will critics say is wrong with this album? It’s lyrics are repetitive. The songs don’t differ very much in style. It’s production isn’t on par with other WU-TANG albums. Are they right? Yeah. Does that mean they aren’t being absurd by rating this album average or lower? No. Try to name a single WU-TANG album where the lyrics aren’t somewhat repetitive and the style of the songs are drastically different. And comparing nearly any producer to RZA is a joke. So please, quiit screaming“this ISNT LIQUID SWORDS!” about an album that never attempted to follow Liquid Sword’s route whatsoever.