Death
Symbolic

by Atari CONTRIBUTOR (111 Reviews)
September 21st, 2012 | 1380 replies

Release Date: 1995 | Tracklist

Review Summary: An absolute f*cking pillar in the world of metal.

When done right, metal is more than just music, it’s a work of art. This is exactly how I feel about Death’s most consistent release, “Symbolic”. It’s certainly a pinnacle for the band, as well as the genre. The album's stellar production also makes the effort accessible for any metal head, whether they’ve heard death metal or not. Unfortunately, Death would only release one more album after this due to vocalist Chuck Schuldiner losing a battle with cancer in 2001. As tragic as it is, Schuldiner accomplished more in his time on earth than any metal musician could ever hope for.

“Symbolic” is so perfectly executed it’s nearly impossible to pick out the best songs. It opens with the impressive title track and Chuck’s vocals sound better than ever before. His voice is still harsh, but has a much crisper sound than before. My personal favorite song, ‘Sacred Serenity’ manages to be thrashy, infectious, and beautiful all at the same time. One reason every song is so great is due to balance. Not once throughout the 9 tracks does the album feel redundant, and each song blends together perfectly. Another reason is musicianship. Schuldiner lays down some of the most memorable riffs I’ve ever heard, but even the bass manages to stand out. Finally, “Symbolic” is a classic because of the experimentation on the record. Not that there’s an extreme amount of it but there’s just enough to keep the album sounding fresh. ‘Perennial Quest’ is a perfect example of the band retaining their signature sound, but also showing signs of progression.

If I have a complaint about this album, it’s that there are only nine songs. Then again, within those nine tracks are the most exciting vocals and guitar riffs I’ve ever had the pleasure of hearing. We may have lost Chuck, but his legacy certainly lives on through albums like “Symbolic”; a true pillar for the genre and a shining example of how to craft the perfect metal record.

Fall to November Sky... A Little Sounds for an Empty WorldNew Found Glory Resurrection
The Residents EskimoTrvth Approaching

Digging: Henryk Gorecki - Symphony No. 3, Op. 36

i pos'd

Shuyin

12080 Comments

one of the best death metal albums ever, no discussion there

RIP Chuck

20166 Comments

Not my best review, but just wanted to get this out there especially after the abomination of a reviw it received earlier.

Digging: Johann Sebastian Bach - Brandenburg Concerto No. 5 in D major, BWV 1050

September 21st 2012

Abusing a portion of liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight

ViperAces
September 21st 2012

Great review, short and to the point.

KjSwantko

Album thrashes vagina

Thanks guys.

I could spend weeks and weeks on this review trying to make it better, but it still won't do justice to Chuck and such a classic metal album. m/

KjSwantko

RIP

cool

Digging: Throwing Muses - Throwing Muses

20166 Comments

I usually don't review more than one album a week.

But I have a review for 09/19, 09/20, and 09/21, lol. Hope you guys aren't getting sick of me ;)

ViralOblivion

Good review man pos

20166 Comments

Thanks man. I'm surprised this doesn't have a neg yet cause I wrote it so fast.

You planning on writing any reviews viral?

evilford

Awesome review dude pos'd

Motiv3

absolutely brilliant review.

Digging: Full Of Hell and Merzbow - Full Of Hell and Merzbow

20166 Comments

@Ford/Motive, damn thanks guys glad you liked it.

Insurrection

didnt read but its a symbolic 5 review so pos

Digging: Failure - Fantastic Planet

mindleviticus
September 21st 2012

FUCK im going to postpone everything and listen to this

20166 Comments

@mindleviticus, you never heard it?