Kreator
Coma of Souls

2.0
poor

by evenindeath USER (4 Reviews)
September 21st, 2012 | 18 replies | 1,179 views

Release Date: 1990 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Hugely overrated.

Is it only me that hates this album? Come Of Souls, one of the Kreator albums that gets endless praise showered upon it, that just always came across feeling boring to me. When The Sun Burns Red, Coma Of Souls, World Beyond, People Of The Lie... They're all alright, well written, but just feel flat and one dimensional to me. This album just fails to stack up against all four of its predecessors.

Endless Pain was a raw, aggressive debut that at least showed some talent. Tormentor remains one of Kreators classics to this day, and the album at least made a dent. The sophomore Pleasure To Kill is one of thrash's all time classics and is virtually flawless, combining extreme aggression with unreal song crafting. Terrible Certainty and Extreme Aggressions honed this style to perfection. And then we have Coma Of Souls... The odd one out.

This is the one where Kreator changed from a mildly technical death/thrash band to a straight thrash band with less technicality than ever before. Songs such as People of the Lie and coma of souls really display this step down in technicality and musicianship, being far less maturely written than the songs off the predecessors such as Pestilence and Tormentor.

Another thing to note is the drastic change in Mille Petrozza's voice. All those years of frantic yelping have really taken their toll, as is evident here, where he sounds like a drowning gerbil. This is the one thing that really ***s me off about this album, as Mille was pitch perfect before here. The even worse thing is that his voice deteriorated even more over the years, to the point where on Phantom Antichrist he was completely unlistenable.

The guitar solos on here are a far cry from their predecessors, having changed from the chaotic Kerry King style solo to a more "focussed" style, but it does not suit the music. On sounds such as Where The Sun Burns Red, where the songs are lightning fast, this just completely goes against that trend, and the Pleasure To Kill style of soloing would have suited it much more and given the song some backbone.

This album is not completely devoid of good moments. The intro to Where The Sun Burns Red is flawlessly executed, as is the extremely fast riff that follows it. Also, some of the lyrics throughout this album are well thought out. Unfortunately, this really does fail to improve the product as a whole. If the band had taken some time to think out some good riffs for the rest of this album, then maybe, just maybe, it would be a solid release and worthy of its status as one of the sacred cows, not only of thrash metal, but also of the genre as a whole.

This is one thrash "classic" that does not deserve that status. Boring, useless rubbish.

ImTheOnlyThugInTheBuildin (5)
The finest thrash album ever recorded...

Dethtrasher (4)

Foodforthegods (5)

Voivod
September 21st 2012

I absolutely disagree with the rating and the review, the latter is well written though.

Ok you like Kreator's raw thrash better than their later and more refined efforts, but that's no reason to downgrade this album.

Digging: Essence Beyond - Carnivalism

ViperAces
September 21st 2012

You are this album first '2' vote.

linguist2011
September 21st 2012

I love this album, but you put in quite a few good points in your review. I think its here where the band's songwriting reached its peak though, personally.

Digging: Black Anvil - Hail Death

MO

Come of Souls!!!

Digging: Immolation - Dawn of Possession

gay review

Digging: Gal Costa - Gal Costa

bowowow
September 21st 2012

Not heard all ofthis but heard it was good

apert

DONT LOOK AT ME

Digging: Emperor - In the Nightside Eclipse

Detritivore
September 21st 2012

I think this album really thrash hard. Maybe is not great as Extreme agression or Terrible Certainty, but the songs structures and Riffs are awesome, it's keeping your head moving all the time.

But I love this

Digging: Anberlin - Lowborn

evenindeath

Good album

rocks

September 21st 2012

dude does justice dig it? i dont know his stance on kreator

September 21st 2012

not even blitzkreig wtf hes gay

does he even dig maiden

sonofman7
September 24th 2012

Is it just me, or is Phantom better than this album? This is a great album though, disagree with the review. I really didn't like Pleasure to Kill, old school thrash sucks. Hence, I'm not too big of a fan of albums like KEA by Metallica, or even Reign in Blood. More of a late 1980's, early nineties guy.

September 25th 2012