Allegaeon
Formshifter

by controlled USER (10 Reviews)
September 21st, 2012 | 25 replies

Review Summary: Technically impressive. Technically boring.

Here’s an interesting tidbit about me, there are, in fact, no interesting tidbits about me. I’d even go so far as to question any interesting tidbits about anyone, because, what the hell is a tidbit? I mean it’s definition is literally anything, but I digress. In regards to me and my tidbit-less life, in which I spend countless hours listening to music, x-ing out days on my calendar ‘til The Dark Knight Rises is physically mine, and drinking exactly eight ¾ cups of water a day, I’m baffled as to how I can’t find the time to listen to Allegaeon’s sophomore release Formshifter in full, since, according to my calculations, I only listen to music and pee all day. And, yet, for weeks on end I found myself subconsciously cutting Formshifter short around track four and listening to something else - for better or worse. Coincidentally, this may define something interesting in me because this is not the first time I’ve noticed this phenomenon. And I think I know why. While technically impressive, Formshifter is short and simply, boring.

I’d like to start off by expressing how heated I am by this epiphany, because, dammit, I love being right, and at this stage of my life I feel like it’s just me wishing the Gothenburg scene would resuscitate somefuckinghow, leading to me standing high atop some masculine pillar and screaming to the world “I told you so.” This won’t be happening anytime soon. While Formshifter kicks off to a raucous start, it’s only takes a matter of minutes to uncover anything worthwhile hidden within; not completely unlike my life. Leads flutter and expand into furious breakdowns that bare obvious resemblances to each other. The drumming is above par for the course, but sound barren and too processed to make a true presence to the overall sound Allegaeon are gunning for. And then there are the vocals, but more on that later. What we have with Formshifter is the best Dark Tranquility tribute album since Fiction.

Between “Behold [God I Am]” and “Iconic Images” Allegaeon create the best quadruplet since the invention of the word quadruplet, probably (source needed), and it’s a fitting way to kick-off what the band declares is, “their most ambitious release to date”. Aside from them having only two albums, this included, I would agree with this claim. There’s a subtle thrash fever here underneath all the melodic death metal and it presents a nice urgency to these otherwise ‘heard-before-somewhere-in-my-life’ tracks. What ups the ante even more is the technicality glowing from each member of the band. “Tartessos”, for example, is a masterful display of melody mixed with uncompromising chugging and tempo shifts on the drop of a half-dime (ha!). Easily the standout “Tartessos” molds everything that should have occured on this album, and continuing the trend follow-up “A Path Disclosed” opens with a smooth lick that builds into ever cascading leads for a finale that hammers (literally) home. Unfortunately, the praises are few and far between amongst those easily discernable moments.

Truthfully, “Twelve-Vals For the Legions” is the only song I can pinpoint and decipher, by name, and it’s not until it’s acoustic outro that I can do so. This is a problem that is magnified by Formshifter’s production. The ability to clean up a gritty band this much is detesting -- almost. I suppose the greater crime rings with vocally vomiting every song identically. But it’s an umbrella failure, and boy, does this umbrella have it’s holes (the production equals the umbrella). There may never be a more top heavy album as this one until the second coming of Christ. Songs are completely devoid of any passion to change the chug-lead-chug mentality from “The Azrael Trigger” on. Breakdowns fill holes where ideas could lay and, and this feels most important, everything sounds the exact same. Everything. From tonality to where a solo will occur, to the fucking song length, everything is choreographed in the exact same manner and it’s maddening. When a band who showed actual promise through a debut takes the machinist mentality in cranking out a follow-up then there’s more than boredom to be concerned of.

Say Anything ...Is a Real BoyCities Aviv Black Pleasure
Trophywife Hold Onto Your LuckThe Tony Danza Tapdance Extravaganza Danza IIII: The Alpha - The Omega
Converge All We Love We Leave BehindMiguel Kaleidoscope Dream

Awesome work

Digging: Interpol - El Pintor

Hawks
September 20th 2012

This is decent, but yeah, overall kinda boring.

Digging: Engraved - Before The Tales

Super duper boring

FearThyEvil
September 20th 2012

How the fuck does this have a 4.1?

GiaNXGX
September 20th 2012

Completely agree with you, this album used too be kinda fun until I realized it was soulless modern melodeath wankery... :[

GiaNXGX
September 20th 2012

I only listen to music and pee all day.

This made me laugh, watch your prostate.

FriendlyCthulhu
September 20th 2012

Good review. I definitely don't find the sense of impact or enjoyability of the album diminishes though, even on repeat listens, until you try listening to the entire album all the way through in one sitting. It's more exhausting than anything, since I find it's like trying to sustain a 40-minute earection. It just sorta hurts after a while (musical priapism?).

jayfatha
September 20th 2012

Nailed it, there's a few tight songs but everything in between is crazy boring

sweet review, Pos'd

Digging: Kangding Ray - Solens Arc

trilogique21
September 21st 2012

i like the album but yeah your points are valid. don't use 'I' in reviews though. it's obviously your review so it's redundant. plus it makes the review very unprofessional and blog-like if that makes sense.

September 21st 2012

Thanks for the kind words gentlemen

BenjaminAtticus
September 30th 2012

atrocious rating, great album.

MichaelSnoxall
September 30th 2012

atrocious rating, great album.

neg

You neg on how well the review was written, not the overall opinion.

also lol a 5

BenjaminAtticus

shut up

BraydenCole

yea rating is atrocious

FrozenVain
October 5th 2012

Your rating was ass...but review was good
Pos'd

Yeah bitches!!

Snooze00
December 16th 2012

This album is. Bang bang bang bang boom boom bada badabadabadabadabadaboom GRRRRRRRRRRRRR IAM THE DEVIL ARGHHHHHHH
boom boom badabadabadabadabadabadaBOOM GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
ME MUST DESTROY ARGHHHHHHHH and then the sweet sounds of the melodic guitars in the backround playing sweetly.... WAIT BADABDABADABADABADABBOOM BOOM I WANT MY MUMMY GRRRRRRRRRRRR

So yeah silly really. but they make noise real real good loud fast NOISE

FrozenVain
December 17th 2012

^soooo it's like all death metal?

December 29th 2012

lol

December 29th 2012

^Holy hell that description is hilarious, yet accurate.