Bon Iver
Bon Iver In The Studios

by doug USER (78 Reviews)
September 20th, 2012 | 19 replies | 3,746 views

Review Summary: Just close your eyes and hear.

All that can be said about Bon Iver and the latest album, Bon Iver, Bon Iver has been said and in its manifest acclimation, the endearing and bittersweet symphony of gorgeous noise, which twists and turns to places that you couldn’t expected -- it is hard to think or even ponder that the music might be tweaked into something more stunning. Yet, earlier this year, Justin Vernon teamed up with his number one band man, Sean Carey, to create simplistic yet hardly disjointed, arrangements of current and past songs in a more touching and authentic way than you have heard any Bon Iver song ever before. Bon Iver in the Studio is wholesome in its approach as the songs were all recorded in one sitting, giving off the obvious feelings of fluency and melancholy between Vernon and Carey.

All the arrangements are played between duelling piano and vocals, giving off a grandiose vibe to the whole soundscape. The real mesmerizing moments of this recording is surprisingly (yet also not that shocking) the vocals and intimate piano work of Carey. Through the rapid rise of Bon Iver, Carey’s talent has delightfully yet eloquently placed itself on a pedestal of awe, which is shown off also in his solo project, S. Carey. He showcases with subtlety here, with solemn piano parts and swooning harmonious that tickle. Of course Vernon is the key focus, with his trademark falsetto projecting through angelically as always and the fantastic arrangements place this in higher presence than ever before. For example, on the album recording, ‘Wash.’ is almost to distant and dissonant to really feel the full grain of its growth, yet here, there is a more dynamic and counter rhythmic approach to the whole fanfare, giving it more... grit. In total, the 24 minutes that is on display showcases why Bon Iver is grasping such a wide audience and Grammy award winning. Its Vernon’s simplistic approach, fulfilled with organic and appealing charm that stems from the musicianship around him.

Flume and Chet Faker LockjawThe Naked and Famous In Rolling Waves
James Blake OvergrownTaylor Swift Red
Macklemore and Ryan Lewis The HeistChet Faker Thinking in Textures
4.4

September 20th 2012

Probably a very pointless review, but it's just a stunning half an hour of music which can be watched and heard here, for free: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9Tp5fl18Ho

Digging: James Vincent McMorrow - Post Tropical

This is chill

Digging: Tiny Moving Parts - Pleasant Living

so chill it's hectic

Ethics
September 20th 2012

let us grasp our ipods against our chests and gaze into each other's eyes

Aids
September 20th 2012

good review, ive heard Wash. off this and think I would like the rest

p p p p p p p pos

Ethics

pos'd as well

September 20th 2012

Cheers dudes, yeah it's just so... Awesome

DarthMann

gonna dl this asap

September 20th 2012

Do it, dont be hasty but be hasty.

Calculate
September 20th 2012

i hope his next album is more stripped down like this, this really is beautiful :-)

September 20th 2012

I love the Bon Iver, Bon Iver for all it's complexities, but you are right, this is naked, and
it's beautiful. But I get the feeling the more Vernon's status develops into the band Bon Iver,
it will continued to more and more layered and intricate. But you never know with this man...

September 21st 2012

Bearing that in mind, I love everything he does/will do no matter what haha

808muzik
October 14th 2012

his version of "I Can't Make You Love Me" is beautiful. I hate that the other guy sings the first voice. Not that he's bad by
any means, I'm just in love with Vernon's original cover.

Digging: Interpol - El Pintor

October 14th 2012

Oh man I love the Carey part. Brings more texture!

ABjordanMM
October 17th 2012

I remember watching this when it came out. I thought it was great.

Digging: Frank Ocean - Channel Orange

October 17th 2012

Yeah man, gives you chills

808muzik
November 10th 2012

When he drops his falsetto. So powerful. Beautiful.

November 10th 2012

Some of the best moments in music.

ABjordanMM